"Mental" Illness: The Future of Treatment

Yes!!!

Then why are you opening your mouth? As you say, it is the mods choice.

And read back very carefully, who initiated the personal attack, and who was not addressing the ideas?

Oh, my word! Is there nothing immune…

Thanks for your concern and for all who have offered good, helpful ideas.
Moderators, please close this thread. It’s done or done in.

wait a minute…i am not through…there is trolling going on here and it is not appropriate for this topic…

Thanks, Turtle. How many incarnations does Satyr have? This dude sounds just like him.

ir—whoever it is we will show him that people with a mental illness can stand up and not put up with their junk…i have a mental illness also and i am sick of this kind of shit…thank you

Agreed.

Mental illness is now being referred to by community assistance programs as “behavioral health”. This new wording will just be another form of “political correctness” until something real is done to help MIs. I’ve recently heard that the government is going to help MI by treating it as equal to so-called “physical” illnesses in terms of reimbusement for doctors, hospitals and meds. I hope it’s true. Usually such help, if it goes against the grain of social “wisdom”, is seen as just another tax & spend project. It may be that Rosyln (SIC) Carter’s concern could some day become a reality. In the current political climate, it’s not a matter of national concern.

http:www.mentalhealthadvocacy.org/reports/ByTheNumbersJan.2011.pdf

I have a different view of the future of mental health:

The most prevalent form of schizoid psychology is when one believes that they themselves determine what their purpose in life is. Such a belief is the most primitive kind of self-referential fallacy possible.

Therefore, when you erect an educational system that instills psychosis into the populace as a matter of course, then a psychotic society will be the only result.

And, conversely, to teach children that they have a job, a function, which is biologically determined, then, and only then, can one turn the tide of aberrant human psychology and human madness towards their fellow man.

This is the type of response I hoped and suspected you were capable of. Have you read Eric From’s (SIC) "The Sane Society? Only problem there–I think Fromm sold out in his later years. Pragmatist Dewey preached “Learn by doing.” Somewhere along the line it became learn by imitating. The educational system in the USA sucks, big time. And for reasons you describe. Sorry, but I still can’t see biology as deterministic.
Biochemistry is, for me at least, deterministic only on the level of drives to produce functional organs and adaptable organisms. Epigenetics constantly tests biochemical attempts to do this…

Well, if I am to maintain my thesis, I have to put my money where my mouth is. That is why the discoveries in Geometry have been important to me. I learned about language, about reasoning itself. I have had this vision, that we have a job to do, and there is a right way to do it, since I was in diapers. I pursue it as a hobby. Life is very distracting.

trolling can be a sign of sickness…if you do it too much then you may be disordered…

I find that those who are not well, call names instead of addressing the ideas. All of the ideas that I forward I also post on the internet archive and on youtube. So, do a little scrolling and leave the trolls to story books that children read.

It is not exactly biological determism, as different biological structures attain to the same function. My aim is function. A digestive system varies greatly in biology, but as a digestive system, it has the function of a digestive system.

That is why I agree with those in history who cite the function of the human mind, to reason for the same purpose as every other environmental acquisition sysetm–to maintain and promote the life of the organism. And then recognizing that we have to understand language, for that is the tool of the mind.

There is a simple truth that a few in history realized. That since every science, moral codes, ethics, are expressible linguistically, then they all have a common foundation, the principles of grammar itself.

P 8659
But grammar has biological precursors and precedents. Anyway, we’re getting off the main thread here. So-- you believe there is no furture of therapy for MI sufferers until society radically changes so that whoever wields power must understand the disciplines and functions of grammar?

In the USA, 1920s, etc. eugenics was practiced. Retarded and mentally ill persons were sterilzed, some by tying tubes (women) or by castration (men). In 1956 27 states still had "eugenics laws on the books.
J. claims she was castrated. Female castration is more common in the Middle East. J. had children in the 1980s. By then most states considered such practices barbaric and inhumane. Just now the State of South Carolina is making some sort of repayment to victums of their sterilization policies.
It’s doubful that J. was castrated by some state’s recommendations. It may be possible that such was done by a family member. It may also be possible that this amounts to a memory of sexual abuse, not a literal fact.
Lobotomies were also a common practice until the 1960s.

Or it could be that J. voluntarily had her tubes tied out of compassion for any future children she may have produced–or because she just didn’t want any more children. My 30 something niece had her tubes tied because she has lupus and lupus is genetic. If J. had children in the 80s, she may have simply decided that she didn’t want any more–for whatever reason. And she may never have had her tubes tied. She may simply have gone through menopause and blames her inability to have any more children on some form of castration.

Do you really believe J. was castrated or had a lobotomy? She’s too young for either. I really believe medical science has advanced in the last 50 years–and I also believe that any lobotomies performed after the the introduction of drugs were even fewer and farther between than they had been before the introduction of drug therapy. Cumon, ier, neither you nor I may like drug therapy, but it’s what we have until something better comes along.

In the meantime, I intend to take my drugs every day. If it turns out, this summer, that Effexor isn’t right for me (because my doctor thinks only that it’s too difficult to leave,) then I’ll go through the whole business again of trying to find another drug. The hope is that I may not need any drug–that I’ve learned enough while using the drugs to be able to live without them. Maybe I have, maybe I haven’t. We’ll see.