First memory

lol, I think. What are you talking about?

Every parent knows, when changing a baby boy’s diaper, his little penis, on suddenly being taken out of the warm, moist environment of his diaper, will become erect and pee. The adult’s choice is to either let him pee openly or waste a diaper taking up the flow by whapping a clean diaper over it. (Take your choice–the penis or the pee.) Let the little guy pee, clean him, and provide him with a clean diaper.

After all, he has no more control over his penis as an infant that he has as an adult. :smiley:

:-$ :wink:

Pain is my first memory. I can’t have been more than two years old, and my mom had taken me to a friend’s house to visit. I remember walking slowly and carefully up the steps behind my mom, and then reaching for the screen door that she was holding open. It was one of those old-fashioned metal screen doors that more SNAP!!! shut than swing, and for whatever reason, my mom let go of it just as my little fingers reached for it, and the door snapped close on my hand. I remember a piercing scream, but I don’t remember screaming, and then my mom had whisked me up and run with me to the kitchen where she proceeded to run my bruised fingers under cold water while I tried to pull my hand away because the combination of temperature and water pressure on my freshly battered hand was excruciating.

Hence men have been known to get hard before and after they are hung, and stiffies when bored. Apparently the muscles that maintain a soft penis are in use and they relax naturally when we die or take our eye off the balls. It’s AKA Angel lust. :laughing:

The most annoying hard on is the full bladder hard on, having an erection makes it very difficult to pee, and hence relive the pressure from your bladder on your prostate that’s supposedly the cause of it.

My dog get’s an erection when he’s excited by anything, (there’s never any sexual context). I envy him as he always looks kinda proud, where as if I got a stiffy in public I would be rather shy about it. Dogs: natures shameless animals. :slight_smile:

My first memory was of me being hit in the back of the head by a rock thrown by one of my friends. I remember facing the grassy circle that the semicircle of mobile homes when it happened, and I turned around and ran back crying across the gravel drive that divided the homes from the grass to where my parents were inside one of the homes. I remember the wooden steps that lead up to the door and that my parents were with the parents of my friend. I even remember who they were, both the friend and his parents. I was around 2 years old when this happened.

In 1947 I was 5. Mom was ironing clothes while listening to radio “soaps”. I was playing battle with my toy soldiers on the floor. The distinct odor of heated starch and “A certain slant of Light” (see Emily Dickenson’s poem about this.) gave me a feeling of being unreal. That was the beginning of my sense of being different from most other people.
When he was five or six, my son claimed to remember that he existed before he was born. Years later I considered what fetal memory might include and what aspects of religion and psychology could come from that source.

I love this. I seem stuck in a similar area. The other night I teetered on the threshold of dream and consciousness and the bizarre memories I experienced were not from my own life, but they contained immense contextual depth of something I had no previous conscious knowledge of. Things like these keep me up at night sometimes. I find it fascinating your son remembered that he existed before he was born. What did he mean by that?

Welcome to ILP! Read Wordsworth’s “Ode On Intimations of Immortality From Recollections of Early Childhood”. I think that poem explains the feeling my son and many others have. My own experience was more about an early recognition of difference. Your experience of hovering between being awake and dreaming is interesting. In my dreams i meet, and am familiar with, persons and places I never knew when awake. These are places in the human mind left mostly unexplored.

My husband constantly talked to my stomach as did I from the time we found out that I was pregnant til birth, my husband did it ,even while I was asleep. The boy knew his Dad and I. when he was put into our arms he stopped crying

Thanks, Lady K., and good to see you if only in type script. I’ve been trying for some time to explore memory of being a fetus. Not much about it in the net. Yet, the idea does explain Eden, Gaia, the Golden Age, Heaven, etc. as innocence prior to experience (Blake). I think that if Freud were alive now, he’d probably make much more of womb security than he did back when. First memory for anyone is probably floating in a bubble of warmth, being given nutrients without exertion or toil and existing in an intimacy we spend our lives attempting to restore.

HI my friend! it is always good to read you. I would think that being carried around in a liquid for 9 months the sounds the fetus hears would create some memories. Contact and connection, My mother ate PBJs all through her pregnancy with me, I know I love that particular simple sandwich as a favorite food. Sound though i think would affect a fetus more than anything. as I said the boy knew us both but no other person, he cried in the arms of even family. His Dad’s heartbeat as my husband cuddled with me could have become familiar , the sound of the voice, Creating memories of sorts, its the imaging that is interesting . what images could be formed?

We’re getting into ontological memory here. Although such an idea has many opponents, it has few who have not experienced it. A warm bath in a tub full of water can put one in a state of “God’s in his heaven, all’s right with the world.” Perhaps we should consider the womb experience a precusory memory, a recollection of experiences that occur before some mind can call it a memory. I believe you about your son’s preference and where it came from. Imaging may exist as touch and sound vibrations in a fetus as you express well here.

Herre is a question/s do colors only exist for the sighted? Do those that can’t see have images of various colors and can we have colors in our minds as fetuses?

Lady K.,
I don’t know if Spiralize88 would want us to go into these areas of thinking. But, I’ll persist unless told otherwise. There was a thread on color perception. Can’t remember when and where it was. Oliver Sachs tells of several instances of blind persons “knowing” what colors are. The brain equipment for discerning color exists in blind persons. It could also exist in fetuses. The development of their brains into ability to think comes after they are born. I firmly believe a fetus “knows” color by senses that are developed in the womb.
On “memory” in general, I think that the search for the engram or "Grandmother " cell (what makes you remember your grandma’s face) are now oudated. Early on Donald Hebb showed how memory begins on the human biochemical level. He noted that, if certain neural routes are used again and again, they become the “preferred” routes and are used almost automatically, e.g., learning to drive a car. Perhaps much of what the philosophers call “sensory” data (what senses perceive) has already become “automatic” in fetal brains.

There is more on the net about fetal memory than I suspected. Did a search “memory in a fetus” and found numerous articles on this. Several of the articles have to do with a study of fetuses subjected to sounds.

“IN a study of 100 pregnant women in the Netherlands, researchers say they have found evidence that fetuses have short-term memory of sounds by the 30th week of pregnancy, and develop long-term memory after that.” ABC NEWs article “The Earliest Fetal Memory”, July 15th, 2009.
I suspect that the sense of touch occurs much earlier than this. My theory is that, as adults, we remember much of what it was like to be a fetus.

Is that even possible - six months? Perhaps your mother told you about that incident and your mind added to the script at some later date. We do this you know.

But 1 1/2 years old? That’s possible I think. Do you remember the taste of the coal and how it felt in your hands and your mouth? Do you remember how you felt when your mother took you out of there? Did you ever sneak back in? Perhaps that was your very first attempt to enter your ‘cave’. I mean, there might, in actuality, be something there. :stuck_out_tongue:

Although later suggestions from parents or other adults may, to some extent, modify memory, current research shows that what Q wrote is certainly possible. The best case anti-abortionists can offer is fetal memory or the possibility that a fertilized egg already contains certain properties of both parents. The problem then becomes who are the parents? Was the child concieved through incest or rape? Is it an eugenic idea to abort? But this is off track of the main thread. I can’t remember anything beyond my fifth year. I do not doubt that others can.

Early memories in the womb are great but, Istill do not see that it makes that fetus sentient or human until mid2cnd trimester when it is fully formed. I would say that even animals have fetal memories and are perhaps more intune to them than we could ever be.

I would suggest that, since there are no gaps, only stages of process, in biochemistry producing minds, everyone’s earliest “Memories” are pre-natal.
Lady K., what goes on with the fetus in the mid, 2nd trimester? I’m ignorant of such things; but I can’t consider a fetal brain as capable of thinking, even though the self-other interactions are already present in the womb. I could be wrong. So what do you mean by sentience at the stage of development to which you refer?
I agree about animals.

Up to the midpart of the second trimester the body and brain are still forming, the body is incomplete there can be no humanity with an incomplete body and brain. Can a brain that is not fully formed be sentient? I say no. I realize that some are going to get rabid about this but it is a valid question and subject.