WORDS I HATE/LOVE

Godamighty, Do you realize how old you have to be to catch that? Most of these people wouldn’t know FS from shit let alone the moniker. You is old, almost ancient! :laughing: :laughing:

I like deliverables. If I order a pizza, it’s a deliverable - even with anchovies and a side of bread sticks. Babies are deliverables but I didn’t order any. That was the wife’s doings.

Another hate word:

Biodegradable - Are you fucking kidding me? U235 is biodegradable if you wait long enough. It’s a word for the perennially gullible.

How about “new and improved” on product lables, which usually mean reduced in content and a flashier package?

No offense, g., but you need to have your head examined if you don’t like Dean Martin.

(I would have used Steve Lawrence as my “shit” example, relative to the Chairman.)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hzgzim5m7oU[/youtube]

When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie… Who the hell would write something like that? :-&

Poetry, JT. Pure poetry.

#-o Ummm… is it time to get on the boat and maybe let the wind clear out a few cobwebs? :unamused:

Speaking of poetry, when are you gonna post your latest? Anita is waiting with bated breath.

bated… that’s a word you don’t hear very often anymore. I like the suspense of that word, waiting for whatever comes after it. After all, you can only be bated for so long…

i hate the word Caveat
Love the word Surreal

Yes, bating. I’m something of a master at it. Wait - that didn’t come out quite right…um…forget that… :blush:

ANYway, haven’t written a poem in months, JT. Off on a different direction writing-wise these days and I just can’t find it in me. Even as encouraging as Anita has always been (for which I have always been grateful).

:slight_smile: I’ll take that as rainey’s tactful, kind way of telling me to stop harassing him. 8-[

[size=70]However, if your alternately-directed writing is suitable for sharing… Hey, can’t blame a girl for trying! Okay, okay, I got that outa my system, so I promise I’ll stop now.[/size]

No no no! Don’t stop! Men love to be harassed by a beautiful woman. Isn’t that right, rainey? Otherwise, we just end up bated… errr, or something. :-"

But Anita is right, So if it isn’t poetry, what is it and why not let us have a look see?

Dean Martin. :wink:

TBH they are far from the worst lyrics in the world, Lady Gaga for example has the patent on gibberish.

Oh JT, you’re so sweet, you know flattery will get you everywhere, which is why I’ll be happy to come over and help you find your glasses.

I like the word gibberish a lot; I think it sounds much better than it looks.

Dammit! Now you made me go look it up. ‘…is a 1952 song by composer Harry Warren and lyricist Jack Brooks.’ (from wiki) So now I hate Jack Brooks whoever the hell he was. I even like Martin singing the song, but the lyrics were sooooo Cleaverland It was gaggy in the extreme.

Gaga? Yeah, I’m sure she has some talents, but wordsmith isn’t one of them. Gaga and gaggy… coincidence?

Anita offers,

Hurry over! Being visually challenged, I just feel around till I find what I’m looking for… :sunglasses:

Hey rainey! Top THAT one! :laughing: :laughing:

Gibberish… sounds like a deli delight. “I’ll have a gibberish sandwich. Hold the mayo.”

You don’t have to be old to know about FS. He’s an icon. I mean, most of the people we talk about in these hallowed halls are way older than FS. I like Dean Martin, I’m just saying Fuck and Shit are like the two king daddy words in terms of swears. Fuck is primary, Shit is supporting, but still formidable.

I wasn’t born until several years after Frank Sinatra turned 50. In the nineties my hipster friends and I watched movies and danced to Sinatra. Swingin’ had a brief chicness in the 80s and 90s. SNL sketches, Ray Liotta film. All that stuff. Just cuz you’re old doesn’t mean I am.

:banana-dance:

Can I post that emoticon ironically, pls? Can we have that agreement going forward? Just so it’s understood.

ballyhoo, rigamarole, druthers, hoopla, qualms, ps and qs, these words and expressions, make me laugh, but only said ironically with a straight face.

:banana-dance:

I like the word toilet. I mean the french one. Toi-let. Elegent, numinous. Composed. It should have been used to name something in the sky, instead. And the ‘t’ should be silent.

Maybe the ‘t’ is silent, and I’m pronouncing it wrong.

I also like the word cunt, for different reasons. I think whoever coined it was a practical person. And might have believed that sounds could mirror the world. It’s the sort of word that should replace the polite words for the same thing, so that teenagers can get a better sense of the dangers of unprotected sex.

OK, g. I’ll give you back 20 years, but that is the limit - as long as we accept being a child and an ancient at the same time.

You realize you’re killing the banana, don’t you? Like the pink flamingos in your front yard, they’re only cool till you make fun of them.

I don’t know if words can be made ironic or not. Thats the fun of words. Pats and darts, swirled in the fog of intent and cursed language. We believe in our words, and we make them up as fast as we can. Perhaps the irony is granting them power in the first place. But that has always been the problem with language; it’s made up of words. :unamused:

Next hated word: superlicious - it doesn’t just taste good, it’s SUPERLICIOUS!

Cacophony.

Gorrilaz gave me that word one day and it was sublime, look for the song “a mountain called monkey.” Not really a stand-alone kind of word, but A powerful start to a powerful phrase (powerful in the barroque sense of the word).

Heed me, minstrels of Perth! A cacophony of indestructible… shit, someone help me out here.

Fluctuate.

(And the ingenious use of the shortened version: “in a state of flux”.)