Skyrim: kicking dragon ass

Heavy armour 90 1H weapons 86 and a shed load of 50’s and 60’s. I can make magical plate armour and then improve it to flawless.

I am also 60 at destruction and restoration, and I dabble in alchemy to 52 too, plus I have a pick lock skill of 60, cause that’s damned useful. I am the Leader of the Companions, and the College of Winterhold. And I have done very little of the actual plot as yet despite being at level 35. I get distracted by side quests a lot. :slight_smile:

I am hopelessly addicted to this game, aside from the fact it slows down occasionally because my graphics card blows it’s treeeeemendous.

Yeah, I think Bethesda designed the game exclusively for Xbox and ported it everywhere else. I’m playing it on windows and it runs pretty good and still looks great on medium settings. And with the SkyBoost mod I find the framerate to be even more stable and fluid. That’s the perk of playing on the PC – the modding community, which Bethesda supports.

Lol, yeah. I’m level 54, 155hrs of play, 100 heavy armour, one-handed, enchantment, smithing, and pickpocket, I can put two enchantments on an item and, without any enchantments, I can carry about 500 weight. I have completed maybe half of the main quest and every sidequest I’ve come across. I’m happy. :slight_smile:

The port isn’t made by bethesda.
I could install windows on my macbook and play the game by using bootcamp which would probably make it lag a lot less but I don’t really want to install windows so fuck it.
I guess I’ll buy ps3 eventually.

I edited, but like you I am hopelessly hooked on it.

Have you done the one where you pretend to rescue a priest from a foresworn camp to take him to Mal Bog the Deadra. Then you are commanded to beat him into submission with a rusty mace, then kill him when he wont agree, then post resurrection you have to beat him to a pulp again until he agrees to submit, then you kill him and Mal Bog gets to take his soul to Oblivion. Probably about the most evil thing I’ve done so far, I felt quite guilty, but the mace of malbog sucks souls out of people and puts them in gems when you kill so it’s not all bad. :smiley:

Apologies no hide function on this forum, but it’s only one quest out of hundreds and hundreds, and it was way more evil than that I made it short. :slight_smile:

that’s why I haven’t migrated from windows on my main computer. i don’t feel like spending the time or effort jumping through hoops to resolve compatibility issues.

LoL, no I haven’t done that one yet. But I have also been evil. I led one of my longtime follower friends (the archer from Riverwood) to Boethiah’s shrine and executed him on the altar so that Boethiah could communicate with me through his body and initiate Boethiah’s Calling quest. All you really get out of it is a unique ebony armour that poisons enemies who are close to you and I think it has a slightly higher armour rating than normal ebony body armour.

it’s a shame so many of the best items require you to be evil…

Ah I think I can’t get that one now as the priest was a Boethian Priest. :laughing:

Probably mutually exclusive.

I’ve done three Daedra quests now they are quite fun. :smiley:

I don’t think it matters that you murdered a Boethian priest or whatever for the Boethiah’s Calling quest.

Have you become a werewolf or a vampire? I opted for the werewolf early on because I thought it was cool. I use it very little now, but I still like having the ability, and I could care less for the well-rested bonus that I sacrifice.

Werewolf, I never use it, so I could probably lose it but it did probably help me do more violent quests and become Leader of the Companions. Meh I could lose it without too much care, but seeing as I can’t I can live with it too. Yeah well rested is pointless anyway who the hell cares. I did not know you could become a vampire, I bet those two are mutually exclusive, this aint Underworld. :stuck_out_tongue:

Ironically as soon as I did the quest on the ice sheets (a main game quest) I found a book that enabled me to find Boethia’s Shrine so, I’m on it. Alls well that ends well. Finding the dwarves too, well sort of, it’s good to be a mage/fighter.

I just love the whole free roaming thing, I played Morrowind and I found it too confusing, couldn’t find anything, and lost a lot of the time. I may go back to it though.

So in context my thoughts about the game:

So anyway I’ll get the ball rolling. Level 41, not really done much of the main quests, leaving a dragon trapped in winterhold atm.

Pros to the game

• Open, you don’t have to really do the main quests right away because everywhere you go side quests pop up.
  • combat is easy whether magic or weapons, or both it’s not hard to manage. What becomes tricky is only in knowing exactly when to do power attacks I think. Sometimes just a little force is enough, sometimes you need to slice their heads clean off.
  • Professions, it’s nice having skills that really do dramatically improve with the more effort you put in, that you can customise, instead of them just going up level by level, you have to pick perks to make them work best.
  • Graphics are eye melting
  • Sound is atmospheric and important, you can judge what’s coming next just by the sounds in the game, very cleverly done
  • none of that good or evil shit, you can be as good or as evil as you want, there’s no compass, if you want to join The Dark Brotherhood and murder people, do it, if not then save the damsel in distress, and when bored come back to it later. Ie there’s no quests that only open up if you are pure evil and vise a versa for good.
  • totally skill orientated experience, it doesn’t matter what you kill, it’s how you do it that counts. I like that, experience and level is not based on kills, but using the right skills
  • story line is superb, dark and for a fantasy game realistic enough. Skyrim is in turmoil, if not a shit hole, the whole place is over run with bandits because of it. And there are factions all over the place which brings me to
  • Alot of politics history and shit. If you’re anything like me you’ll come to hate all the factions pretty quick, meaning changing sides leaves little moral qualms.

Lots more but that will do for now.

Cons:

• gravity in the game works much of the time, but sometimes I’ve batted a person 40ft in the air with a power attack, that’s not right. It does look impressive but it’s a little hokey. Horses are marked for death, riding too fast can see them shoot up 80 ft in the air. And riding down a slope even momentarily quick, can leave them flying for ever only to die and kill you in the process. It’s not great on the whole.
  • controls, while in certain menus it seems quite clumsy and takes a while to get used to
  • wading through banal conversations. I care about some people, but some people are just dull.
  • The pay offs, sometimes they suck, for a lot of work you get nothing. Sure new quests might open up but I aint Jesus.

And that’ll do for now too.

So anyway, thoughts, criticisms, whatever you like. :slight_smile:

Hey, lemme see if I can get a mod to merge all the Skyrim posts from that other thread to this one.

I am totally in agreement, although posted messages can sometimes take a while to get through the pm system, so I’ll say it’s fine by me here too.

I’m in full plate now always gone with heavy armour, it’s not so much sneaking as banging a kettle hard and fast so that everyone 3 rooms down pours in.

Since the last time heavy armour 100, 1H 92.

Archery was kinda pointless as I use magic in the other hand for ranged attacks, so I have a companion with a legendary ebony bow that does extra fire damage. It works very well, although when she does run in it’s sometimes hard to avoid hitting her. Luckily I’ve given her legendary orc armour and plate metal armour, with some magic perks on to increase health and a necklace to increase bow damage, ring to do this and that and so on, so it aint too bad. I went through a few companions, some died, some were just lost to the ether, but it’s worked out well now. She has an ebony shield and an ebony blade with magic damage, and an ebony bow that kicks ass as said before. The game is never easy, but it is manageable, with a good companion.

Anyone seen what that bloody dragon weapon does with bonuses on it. I use it always on dragons and an ebony axe with fire damage for anything else. I was amazed when I improved it though. 75 damage + 30 to dragons? You’re joking?

A Sword and Shield Redguard was my first character.
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198024777789/screenshot/596954040426110851/?tab=all

In his Legionary Armor. Which although is pretty weak compared to the later armors, can be made even better when your smith skill is at 100.
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198024777789/screenshot/596954040446645959/?tab=all

Fighting a Dragon before I began the last mission of the Main quest.
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198024777789/screenshot/596954390897715496/?tab=all

And in Solitude.
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198024777789/screenshot/595829056155534591/?tab=all

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198024777789/screenshot/595829056155559526/?tab=all

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198024777789/screenshot/595829056155561405/?tab=all

A lot of citizens lined up to see it.
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198024777789/screenshot/595829056155566784/?tab=all

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198024777789/screenshot/595829056155538815/?tab=all

I picked up my campaign last night after not having played in a month or so, and it was great—until I discovered a bug. The bug is known but has not been patched yet. It’s only on Xbox as far as I know. That was a bummer. I cannot finish that dungeon and the connected quest now.

I had an annoying quest last night, I found this ladies wedding band and presumed I just had to take it back to the husband to show she was dead (earlier he had hired me to find her), but he had vanished off the face of the Earth. Weird. I think I’m going to go assassinate the dude for The Dark Brotherhood to get it out of my system. An annoying thing about the game is committing crimes are almost impossible. I had to kill an optional lady with the main hit and she was alone in the halls of the dead and as soon as I offed her, no witnesses mind, the entire city guard poured in, so rather than pick up more bounty I ran like a girl for the city gates. Flipping unrealistic. And they couldn’t catch that damned serial murderer in the city for like months, til I came along. Which reminds me I saved lots of women from being torn apart by a loon. You’d think that would balance my karma, for war axing a defenceless woman with no mercy wouldn’t you? I call ass.

Gaining on the Daedric armour now, ebony armour is only mildly better than plate it seems, so will probably hold off getting it a bit as some of my plate armour has very good enchantments. The ebony weapons though do massive damage, so worth the perk. Laters. :slight_smile:

[tab]Well I don’t want to blog but seeing as Skyrim has become my life lately, I just did the Thieves Guild mission to rob some guy and torch part of his business. I knew it wouldn’t go well as my sneak is 30, even with the thieves light guild armour. I got the key alright after sneaking past the guards, but then when I came out of the bedroom after killing the mark for the safe key, I couldn’t sneak past the guard despite trying several times so my fall back plan came into action, kill ever mercenary in the house. Then kill every mercenary in the cellar then unlock the safe. In retrospect I should of just gone straight to the cellar because the safe was only expert, not master as I had suspected, but ho hum. Improving skills I seldom use so it’s all good. Light armour up 1, sneak up 1. level up because of that. :slight_smile:

I then forgot about burning the beehives and had to come back, it’s day time now, this aint going to end well either. :laughing:

Update, I just reloaded from a previous save point, cause I couldn’t from one that was near the house. This time, I killed the guard without arousing the whole house, not sure why, but gift horse and all that. Got the bee hives, only had to kill about 6 people, one day I may be able to sneak worth a damn, but even in light armour it seems I am as quiet as a train full of live symbol banging monkeys. :slight_smile:[/tab]

Spoiler: if you haven’t done the Thieves’ Guild quests, better late than never… the spoiler I mean. :slight_smile:

Although robbing people with only 1/3 of the skills is fun if messy.

i beat the game a while ago

it was a lot of fun

but eventually it got repetitive

spoiler
[tab]so then i google’d the cheat codes

had a couple more days of fun

it was pretty good for a single player only game[/tab]

It’s not got repetitive for me yet. Hope it doesn’t. Doing one of the main quests on master: just got into Sovengard, going through potions and heal spells a bit but there’s nothing too strenuous. I was on expert but decided it was getting a bit easy with 729 armour and weapons that do 123 damage. So now my magic does jack shit, even expert stuff, and my weapons are effective only on power attacks: well I did ask for it. :slight_smile:

Funny instant, I have a sword that makes all level 40 or lower undead flee for 30 secs, I ran across 3 and made them flee but made the mistake of following them, then there were 6. I had to hit each one in turn to get the buggers manageable. It was like playing connect 4 in 9 dimensions. Hard work but hella fun, as long as I didn’t have all 6 on me at once, it was ok. Lot of running around though… :slight_smile: