America

For discussions of culture, politics, economics, sociology, law, business and any other topic that falls under the social science remit.

Moderator: Uccisore

Re: America

Postby Calrid » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:42 pm

Stoic Guardian wrote:I haven't researched into it, so I don't have much of an opnion on it.

I suppose I should seeing as how it was the most recent Empire.


Yeah we were nasty bastards on the whole, European colonisation generally is horrific though, although that is no excuse. Is it true Americans are massively up on American history but the rest of the worlds history kind of passes them by until college? Shame that. Personally I'm far more interested in world history, being as I studied subjects at school that relate to ancient/classical times. I do dabble in more modern stuff out of interest though.
“I think we can all look forward to the time when these three theories are given equal time in our science classrooms across the country, and eventually the world; One third time for Intelligent Design, one third time for Flying Spaghetti Monsterism, and one third time for logical conjecture based on overwhelming observable evidence.”

Oscar Wilde - probably.
User avatar
Calrid
Philosopher
 
Posts: 3227
Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:54 am

Re: America

Postby FilmSnob » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:02 am

Calrid wrote:
Stoic Guardian wrote:I haven't researched into it, so I don't have much of an opnion on it.

I suppose I should seeing as how it was the most recent Empire.


Yeah we were nasty bastards on the whole, European colonisation generally is horrific though, although that is no excuse. Is it true Americans are massively up on American history but the rest of the worlds history kind of passes them by until college? Shame that. Personally I'm far more interested in world history, being as I studied subjects at school that relate to ancient/classical times. I do dabble in more modern stuff out of interest though.


All three of us whould get together and make a thread on some Empire of Antiquity.
FilmSnob
ex-Pezer
 
Posts: 3466
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:54 am

Re: America

Postby Stoic Guardian » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:14 am

Calrid wrote:Yeah we were nasty bastards on the whole, European colonisation generally is horrific though.

How so? With Britain specifically.
Calrid wrote:Is it true Americans are massively up on American history but the rest of the worlds history kind of passes them by until college?

I don't know if I'd say the're really well read on american history but even less so the rest of the world.
I'd blame the time contraints the classes have rather then the ability of the teachers to teach.
They always seemed a notch below amazment at how much I "knew", which is a bit sad because I didn't believe I "knew" that much which means the average kid must of "known" even less.
I'd say this quote rings true,
"War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.
Ambrose Bierce"
It seems that the majority of the time when we learned about another part of the world was when our forefathers were fighting a war there.
Perhaps this changes in the higher grades, seeing as how I never made it passed 10th grade my sophmore year (but I doubt it).
Calrid wrote: Personally I'm far more interested in world history, being as I studied subjects at school that relate to ancient/classical times. I do dabble in more modern stuff out of interest though.

I also have a great interest in historry, I'd say my fascination with the military and war is a part of that. This quote sums it it up very well for me.
"War makes rattling good history; but Peace is poor reading.
-Thomas Hardy"
Last edited by Stoic Guardian on Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Fascism combats, and must combat, without respite or pity, not intelligence, but intellectualism—which is, as I have indicated, a sickness of the intellect" - Giovanni Gentile

”After visiting these places, you can easily understand how that within a few years Hitler will emerge from the hatred that surrounds him now as one of the most significant figures who ever lived. He had boundless ambition for his country which rendered him a menace to the peace of the world, but he had a mystery about him in the way that he lived and in the manner of his death that will live and grow after him. He had in him the stuff of which legends are made.”- John F. Kennedy
User avatar
Stoic Guardian
Silvershirt Armchair Legionary
 
Posts: 4135
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:01 am

Re: America

Postby Calrid » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:20 am

Stoic Guardian wrote:
Calrid wrote:Yeah we were nasty bastards on the whole, European colonisation generally is horrific though.


How so? With Britain specifically.


In his book Late Victorian Holocausts, published in 2001, Mike Davis tells the story of famines that killed between 12 and 29 million Indians. These people were, he demonstrates, murdered by British state policy. When an El Niño drought destituted the farmers of the Deccan plateau in 1876 there was a net surplus of rice and wheat in India. But the viceroy, Lord Lytton, insisted that nothing should prevent its export to England. In 1877 and 1878, at the height of the famine, grain merchants exported a record 6.4m hundredweight of wheat. As the peasants began to starve, officials were ordered "to discourage relief works in every possible way". The Anti-Charitable Contributions Act of 1877 prohibited "at the pain of imprisonment private relief donations that potentially interfered with the market fixing of grain prices". The only relief permitted in most districts was hard labour, from which anyone in an advanced state of starvation was turned away. In the labour camps, the workers were given less food than inmates of Buchenwald. In 1877, monthly mortality in the camps equated to an annual death rate of 94%.

As millions died, the imperial government launched "a militarised campaign to collect the tax arrears accumulated during the drought". The money, which ruined those who might otherwise have survived the famine, was used by Lytton to fund his war in Afghanistan. Even in places that had produced a crop surplus, the government's export policies, like Stalin's in Ukraine, manufactured hunger. In the north-western provinces, Oud and the Punjab, which had brought in record harvests in the preceeding three years, at least 1.25m died.

Three recent books - Britain's Gulag by Caroline Elkins, Histories of the Hanged by David Anderson, and Web of Deceit by Mark Curtis - show how white settlers and British troops suppressed the Mau Mau revolt in Kenya in the 1950s. Thrown off their best land and deprived of political rights, the Kikuyu started to organise - some of them violently - against colonial rule. The British responded by driving up to 320,000 of them into concentration camps. Most of the remainder - more than a million - were held in "enclosed villages". Prisoners were questioned with the help of "slicing off ears, boring holes in eardrums, flogging until death, pouring paraffin over suspects who were then set alight, and burning eardrums with lit cigarettes". British soldiers used a "metal castrating instrument" to cut off testicles and fingers. "By the time I cut his balls off," one settler boasted, "he had no ears, and his eyeball, the right one, I think, was hanging out of its socket." The soldiers were told they could shoot anyone they liked "provided they were black". Elkins's evidence suggests that more than 100,000 Kikuyu were either killed or died of disease and starvation in the camps. David Anderson documents the hanging of 1,090 suspected rebels: far more than the French executed in Algeria. Thousands more were summarily executed by soldiers, who claimed they had "failed to halt" when challenged.

These are just two examples of at least 20 such atrocities overseen and organised by the British government or British colonial settlers; they include, for example, the Tasmanian genocide, the use of collective punishment in Malaya, the bombing of villages in Oman, the dirty war in North Yemen, the evacuation of Diego Garcia. Some of them might trigger a vague, brainstem memory in a few thousand readers, but most people would have no idea what I'm talking about. Max Hastings, on the opposite page, laments our "relative lack of interest" in Stalin and Mao's crimes. But at least we are aware that they happened.

In the Express we can read the historian Andrew Roberts arguing that for "the vast majority of its half-millennium-long history, the British empire was an exemplary force for good ... the British gave up their empire largely without bloodshed, after having tried to educate their successor governments in the ways of democracy and representative institutions" (presumably by locking up their future leaders). In the Sunday Telegraph, he insists that "the British empire delivered astonishing growth rates, at least in those places fortunate enough to be coloured pink on the globe". (Compare this to Mike Davis's central finding, that "there was no increase in India's per capita income from 1757 to 1947", or to Prasannan Parthasarathi's demonstration that "South Indian labourers had higher earnings than their British counterparts in the 18th century and lived lives of greater financial security.") In the Daily Telegraph, John Keegan asserts that "the empire became in its last years highly benevolent and moralistic". The Victorians "set out to bring civilisation and good government to their colonies and to leave when they were no longer welcome. In almost every country, once coloured red on the map, they stuck to their resolve".

There is one, rightly sacred Holocaust in European history. All the others can be denied, ignored, or belittled. As Mark Curtis points out, the dominant system of thought in Britain "promotes one key concept that underpins everything else - the idea of Britain's basic benevolence ... Criticism of foreign policies is certainly possible, and normal, but within narrow limits which show 'exceptions' to, or 'mistakes' in, promoting the rule of basic benevolence". This idea, I fear, is the true "sense of British cultural identity" whose alleged loss Max laments today. No judge or censor is required to enforce it. The men who own the papers simply commission the stories they want to read.

Turkey's accession to the European Union, now jeopardised by the trial of Orhan Pamuk, requires not that it comes to terms with its atrocities; only that it permits its writers to rage impotently against them. If the government wants the genocide of the Armenians to be forgotten, it should drop its censorship laws and let people say what they want. It needs only allow Richard Desmond and the Barclay brothers to buy up the country's newspapers, and the past will never trouble it again.


To be honest though this barely scratches the surface, direct actions where we massacred unarmed people under our rule are gruesome reading.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2005/dec/27/eu.turkey

Colonialism was a brutal business. The Dutch for example gave a gift of blankets infected with yellow fever to American natives, which wiped out hundreds of thousands of people. Honestly the Europeans have seen some utterly abysmal conduct. Whitewashed by the victor.

We came we saw we conquered, and then brutally repressed entire indigenous people to keep the trade flowing home.

I'll leave you with this quote from Mark Curtis, a Historian.

As regards the promotion of the principles noted above - peace, democracy, human rights and Third World economic development - much of Britain’s history is embarrassing by virtually any standards, with the defeat of Nazism in the Second World War intervening as an outstanding example. Since Britain led the [Western] world in enslaving what is now known as the Third World by a series of human slaughters and military conquests before instituting an economic imperialism that enforced virtual (and real) slavery on tens of millions of people while using their resources for Britain’s enrichment, it is perhaps a wonder that any allegiance to the actions of the British state (patriotism) can still be invoked by state leaders to create support for British policies in the Third World.
“I think we can all look forward to the time when these three theories are given equal time in our science classrooms across the country, and eventually the world; One third time for Intelligent Design, one third time for Flying Spaghetti Monsterism, and one third time for logical conjecture based on overwhelming observable evidence.”

Oscar Wilde - probably.
User avatar
Calrid
Philosopher
 
Posts: 3227
Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:54 am

Re: America

Postby Stoic Guardian » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:43 am

Those seem like oddly brutal reprisals.

Wasteful in the extreme.

I'll make sure to research into it.
"Fascism combats, and must combat, without respite or pity, not intelligence, but intellectualism—which is, as I have indicated, a sickness of the intellect" - Giovanni Gentile

”After visiting these places, you can easily understand how that within a few years Hitler will emerge from the hatred that surrounds him now as one of the most significant figures who ever lived. He had boundless ambition for his country which rendered him a menace to the peace of the world, but he had a mystery about him in the way that he lived and in the manner of his death that will live and grow after him. He had in him the stuff of which legends are made.”- John F. Kennedy
User avatar
Stoic Guardian
Silvershirt Armchair Legionary
 
Posts: 4135
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:01 am

Re: America

Postby Calrid » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:48 am

Calrid wrote:Is it true Americans are massively up on American history but the rest of the worlds history kind of passes them by until college?

I don't know if I'd say the're really well read on american history but even less so the rest of the world.
I'd blame the time contraints the classes have rather then the ability of the teachers to teach.
They always seemed a notch below amazment at how much I "knew", which is a bit sad because I didn't believe I "knew" that much which means the average kid must of "known" even less.
I'd say this quote rings true,
"War is God's way of teaching Americans geography.
Ambrose Bierce"
It seems that the majority of the time when we learned about another part of the world was when our forefather were fighting a war there.
Perhaps this changes in the higher grades, seeing as how I never made it passed 10th grade may sophmore year (but I doubt it).


Yeah I remember history though containing a lot of world history up until the age of 14 where I ditched it for classical history. Not getting at the US, but I don't think world history as you say interests America beyond Geography in bellicose form.

Calrid wrote: Personally I'm far more interested in world history, being as I studied subjects at school that relate to ancient/classical times. I do dabble in more modern stuff out of interest though.

I also have a great interest in historry, I'd say my fascination with the military and war is a part of that. This quote sums it it up very well for me.
"War makes rattling good history; but Peace is poor reading.
-Thomas Hardy"


There lies the truth, but then Thomas Hardy is not alive now. War now makes rattling little effect on anyone these days in the developed nations, unless it's to drain resources, stifle science and serve no ultimate purpose. War can be a force for good, especially in defence, seldom are such campaigns any more though (you only need to look at American wars since the late 40s); when we insinuate ourselves in countries where we probably don't belong, for reasons we probably have forgotten the price for, and for a cost we can little afford it seems like we're doing more damage to ourselves. I don't want to sound like a hypocrite, war is an extremely interesting historical subject, but that's the point, wars are so intensive and yet achieve so little that they are becoming economic embarrassments and somewhat obsolete, at least in the Western world.
“I think we can all look forward to the time when these three theories are given equal time in our science classrooms across the country, and eventually the world; One third time for Intelligent Design, one third time for Flying Spaghetti Monsterism, and one third time for logical conjecture based on overwhelming observable evidence.”

Oscar Wilde - probably.
User avatar
Calrid
Philosopher
 
Posts: 3227
Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:54 am

Re: America

Postby Stoic Guardian » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:56 am

Maybe we the people can't afford it but Exxon Mobils profits have gone up 200 billions dollars more a year.
Bastards.

I'm not saying thats the only reason that there was a War in Iraq but it is certainly one of the main reasons.

Then again that war is technically over so now the focus is in Afghanistan, which is a war I support for the most part.
"Fascism combats, and must combat, without respite or pity, not intelligence, but intellectualism—which is, as I have indicated, a sickness of the intellect" - Giovanni Gentile

”After visiting these places, you can easily understand how that within a few years Hitler will emerge from the hatred that surrounds him now as one of the most significant figures who ever lived. He had boundless ambition for his country which rendered him a menace to the peace of the world, but he had a mystery about him in the way that he lived and in the manner of his death that will live and grow after him. He had in him the stuff of which legends are made.”- John F. Kennedy
User avatar
Stoic Guardian
Silvershirt Armchair Legionary
 
Posts: 4135
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:01 am

Re: America

Postby Calrid » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:58 am

Stoic Guardian wrote:Maybe we the people can't afford it but Exxon Mobils profits have gone up 200 billions dollars more a year.
Bastards.

I'm not saying thats the only reason that there was a War in Iraq but it is certainly one of the main reasons.

Then again that war is technically over so now the focus is in Afghanistan, which is a war I support for the most part.


Cynical but true.

And yeah I support Afghanistan, although the methodology by which they went about the task did seem a little about face.
“I think we can all look forward to the time when these three theories are given equal time in our science classrooms across the country, and eventually the world; One third time for Intelligent Design, one third time for Flying Spaghetti Monsterism, and one third time for logical conjecture based on overwhelming observable evidence.”

Oscar Wilde - probably.
User avatar
Calrid
Philosopher
 
Posts: 3227
Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:54 am

Re: America

Postby FilmSnob » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:35 am

Calrid wrote:
Stoic Guardian wrote:Maybe we the people can't afford it but Exxon Mobils profits have gone up 200 billions dollars more a year.
Bastards.

I'm not saying thats the only reason that there was a War in Iraq but it is certainly one of the main reasons.

Then again that war is technically over so now the focus is in Afghanistan, which is a war I support for the most part.


Cynical but true.

And yeah I support Afghanistan, although the methodology by which they went about the task did seem a little about face.


I support the Afghanistan war too.

I mean, what kind of a pussy country gets invaded and doesn't retaliate? I hope they kill many invaders (and this, Stoic, is what worries me the most about you wanting to join the army... I would be a shame to lose you to some guy who was right to kill you in the first place. Not very kathartic...)
FilmSnob
ex-Pezer
 
Posts: 3466
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:54 am

Re: America

Postby Stoic Guardian » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:49 am

The "right" to kill is an interesting topic in itself but I'll postpone that for now.

Who has the right to kill me? The Taliban, oh yeah their fighting for "their" country, fighting for a cruel dilluded idea of a caliphate.

I'm glad we allied with the Northern alliance boys, one of the few ...clans I guess youd call it, that have any sense of decency.
You ever read about ,Ahmad Shah Massoud a true leader of the people, Taliban and al-Qaeda tried for years to kill him and eventually they succeeded and it largely believed that his assasination was in connection with attacks on the World Trade Center tower.

If I die, I die oh well I'm just one man I don't care if billions of misinformed or uniformed people believe I died for "nothin" or for "rich old men" all those old sob stories. Or if I was an tyrannically oppressive Drone or whatever the propaganda is.

I don't agree with a lot of things in U.S. foreign policy or how the war is always conducted.

But what I have read into their is great justification for what the U.S. and other coalition forces are doing in Afghanistan, whether or not justice is the prime motivation or not.
"Fascism combats, and must combat, without respite or pity, not intelligence, but intellectualism—which is, as I have indicated, a sickness of the intellect" - Giovanni Gentile

”After visiting these places, you can easily understand how that within a few years Hitler will emerge from the hatred that surrounds him now as one of the most significant figures who ever lived. He had boundless ambition for his country which rendered him a menace to the peace of the world, but he had a mystery about him in the way that he lived and in the manner of his death that will live and grow after him. He had in him the stuff of which legends are made.”- John F. Kennedy
User avatar
Stoic Guardian
Silvershirt Armchair Legionary
 
Posts: 4135
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:01 am

Re: America

Postby FilmSnob » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:22 am

Stoic Guardian wrote:The "right" to kill is an interesting topic in itself but I'll postpone that for now.

Who has the right to kill me? The Taliban, oh yeah their fighting for "their" country, fighting for a cruel dilluded idea of a caliphate.

I'm glad we allied with the Northern alliance boys, one of the few ...clans I guess youd call it, that have any sense of decency.
You ever read about ,Ahmad Shah Massoud a true leader of the people, Taliban and al-Qaeda tried for years to kill him and eventually they succeeded and it largely believed that his assasination was in connection with attacks on the World Trade Center tower.

If I die, I die oh well I'm just one man I don't care if billions of misinformed or uniformed people believe I died for "nothin" or for "rich old men" all those old sob stories. Or if I was an tyrannically oppressive Drone or whatever the propaganda is.

I don't agree with a lot of things in U.S. foreign policy or how the war is always conducted.

But what I have read into their is great justification for what the U.S. and other coalition forces are doing in Afghanistan, whether or not justice is the prime motivation or not.


Just sayin', if the last words you ever hear are "Allah Akbar," you probably had it coming.

If I did'nt have proper military equipment, you better bet your imperialist ass that I would blow myself up along with you, your pals, and anybody standing next to y'all.

Honestly, sometimes I wish the US would invade Venezuela just so I could do some cruel shit to unwitting putty patrolers.
FilmSnob
ex-Pezer
 
Posts: 3466
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:54 am

Re: America

Postby Stoic Guardian » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:59 am

Pezer wrote:Just sayin', if the last words you ever hear are "Allah Akbar," you probably had it coming.

How so?
Pezer wrote:If I did'nt have proper military equipment, you better bet your imperialist ass that I would blow myself up along with you, your pals, and anybody standing next to y'all.

Why?
Pezer wrote:Honestly, sometimes I wish the US would invade Venezuela just so I could do some cruel shit to unwitting putty patrolers.

Pride is a dangerous thing, rarely beneficial.
"Fascism combats, and must combat, without respite or pity, not intelligence, but intellectualism—which is, as I have indicated, a sickness of the intellect" - Giovanni Gentile

”After visiting these places, you can easily understand how that within a few years Hitler will emerge from the hatred that surrounds him now as one of the most significant figures who ever lived. He had boundless ambition for his country which rendered him a menace to the peace of the world, but he had a mystery about him in the way that he lived and in the manner of his death that will live and grow after him. He had in him the stuff of which legends are made.”- John F. Kennedy
User avatar
Stoic Guardian
Silvershirt Armchair Legionary
 
Posts: 4135
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:01 am

Re: America

Postby Rain » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:27 am

Your country is too small to make a actual determined resistance. We would just clamp down on the coastal areas, and fortify the freeways. We wouldn't have to worry about nation rebuilding as the oil is in the ocean. Coast Guard and Navy can make the spice flow. And the bombs.... well, unfortunately over the last 8 years our vehicles and body armor has evolved at such a rate that it's overcoming most of the effects outside of limb wounds to soldiers.... out vehicles can take some massive explosions and keep on truck'in, thanks to the Iranians and the Syrians..... which I am sure annoys the living daylights out of them given the Arab Spring backlash against them..... it's their main means to resist, and now their most likely enemies, the arab states, have up armored hand me downs from the US capable of driving from one end of the middle east to the next enjoying the scenic route, noting in their diaries everytime the bomb goes off underneath them, while returning fire with ease. We're rapidly approaching a paradigm shift in terms of military power, the Arabs have a severe advantage due to the emphasis on the use of guerrilla tactics. It's become not as useful anymore for the time being.

You would have better luck selling liquor and hookers to the invaders, and forcing them into debt, and having them would and kill one another off to pay their debts off, as well as that of your enemies, while feigning general allegiance to them. They will likely even let you set up a shop inside of their main base, selling bullshit local drinks that taste like pisswater to the soldiers, who are told to be nice to you, and the officers can keep telling command your a intel threat cause your listenign to everyone, but that shit doesn't matter, because you've taken the persona of Captian Jack, and even drew the logo on the side of your fucking shit water cafe, above you fucking hookah and bong, and someone like me once your finally kicked off the base can find your ass somehow smuggled back inside of the base in the middle of the powerplant, sitting on a bucket chatting up a bunch of locals, and you can smile at me, and I can contemplate how long my prison sentence would be for just offing you. If only you were not the son of some local Sheikh..... errr, I mean, like some cocoa producer or something.

This is not based off a true story, I swear. This isn't a cry out for help.

Fucking A.
Rain
Onasander
 
Posts: 2454
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:37 am
Location: Not fucking Hawaii

Re: America

Postby FilmSnob » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:31 am

Stoic Guardian wrote:Pride is a dangerous thing, rarely beneficial.


You really think the reason people fight back is "Pride"?

You know what is less beneficial?

Deluded ambition.
FilmSnob
ex-Pezer
 
Posts: 3466
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:54 am

Re: America

Postby FilmSnob » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:33 am

Contra-Nietzsche wrote:Your country is too small to make a actual determined resistance. We would just clamp down on the coastal areas, and fortify the freeways. We wouldn't have to worry about nation rebuilding as the oil is in the ocean. Coast Guard and Navy can make the spice flow. And the bombs.... well, unfortunately over the last 8 years our vehicles and body armor has evolved at such a rate that it's overcoming most of the effects outside of limb wounds to soldiers.... out vehicles can take some massive explosions and keep on truck'in, thanks to the Iranians and the Syrians..... which I am sure annoys the living daylights out of them given the Arab Spring backlash against them..... it's their main means to resist, and now their most likely enemies, the arab states, have up armored hand me downs from the US capable of driving from one end of the middle east to the next enjoying the scenic route, noting in their diaries everytime the bomb goes off underneath them, while returning fire with ease. We're rapidly approaching a paradigm shift in terms of military power, the Arabs have a severe advantage due to the emphasis on the use of guerrilla tactics. It's become not as useful anymore for the time being.

You would have better luck selling liquor and hookers to the invaders, and forcing them into debt, and having them would and kill one another off to pay their debts off, as well as that of your enemies, while feigning general allegiance to them. They will likely even let you set up a shop inside of their main base, selling bullshit local drinks that taste like pisswater to the soldiers, who are told to be nice to you, and the officers can keep telling command your a intel threat cause your listenign to everyone, but that shit doesn't matter, because you've taken the persona of Captian Jack, and even drew the logo on the side of your fucking shit water cafe, above you fucking hookah and bong, and someone like me once your finally kicked off the base can find your ass somehow smuggled back inside of the base in the middle of the powerplant, sitting on a bucket chatting up a bunch of locals, and you can smile at me, and I can contemplate how long my prison sentence would be for just offing you. If only you were not the son of some local Sheikh..... errr, I mean, like some cocoa producer or something.

This is not based off a true story, I swear. This isn't a cry out for help.

Fucking A.


Right from the get go I would not have a chance of winning, the hummers were just a plus. I'll make do with a couple of distracted henchmen.
FilmSnob
ex-Pezer
 
Posts: 3466
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:54 am

Re: America

Postby Stoic Guardian » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:56 am

Pezer wrote:You really think the reason people fight back is "Pride"?

A large part of the time yes.
Pezer wrote:You know what is less beneficial?
Deluded ambition.


I'm sure even those who succeeded in fulfilling there ambitions were at one point told they were deluded, it is the nature of the pessimist to dismiss the Dreamer mostly out of a sense of self loathing.

But I'm immune to such psychological attacks.
"Fascism combats, and must combat, without respite or pity, not intelligence, but intellectualism—which is, as I have indicated, a sickness of the intellect" - Giovanni Gentile

”After visiting these places, you can easily understand how that within a few years Hitler will emerge from the hatred that surrounds him now as one of the most significant figures who ever lived. He had boundless ambition for his country which rendered him a menace to the peace of the world, but he had a mystery about him in the way that he lived and in the manner of his death that will live and grow after him. He had in him the stuff of which legends are made.”- John F. Kennedy
User avatar
Stoic Guardian
Silvershirt Armchair Legionary
 
Posts: 4135
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:01 am

Re: America

Postby FilmSnob » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:04 am

Stoic Guardian wrote:
Pezer wrote:You really think the reason people fight back is "Pride"?

A large part of the time yes.
Pezer wrote:You know what is less beneficial?
Deluded ambition.


I'm sure even those who succeeded in fulfilling there ambitions were at one point told they were deluded, it is the nature of the pessimist to dismiss the Dreamer mostly out of a sense of self loathing.

But I'm immune to such psychological attacks.


It is only an attack because it threatens you. Coherent ambition requires potential. What potential do you have? Do you have any money? men? influence? above-textbook intelligence or rhetoric?

Look at equal2u. You are both the same, except his idea is both less realistic and more original (yet the same amount of not-happening).


- Also, his idea doesn't include killing or getting killed by people you have no business with.
FilmSnob
ex-Pezer
 
Posts: 3466
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:54 am

Re: America

Postby Stoic Guardian » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:29 am

It doesn't threaten me, you think I've never thought of whether or not I simply have delusions of Grandeur? Of course I have.

I'm not a man of pure passions anyhow, so even if all my ambitions crumbled around me that wouldn't really affect me much.

Pezer wrote:- Also, his idea doesn't include killing or getting killed by people you have no business with.


What are my ideas? And which people do I have no business with?

It's immature to want to die for a cause, it's not to be willing to.

What are equal2u's aspirations? I haven't read much from him in a while.
"Fascism combats, and must combat, without respite or pity, not intelligence, but intellectualism—which is, as I have indicated, a sickness of the intellect" - Giovanni Gentile

”After visiting these places, you can easily understand how that within a few years Hitler will emerge from the hatred that surrounds him now as one of the most significant figures who ever lived. He had boundless ambition for his country which rendered him a menace to the peace of the world, but he had a mystery about him in the way that he lived and in the manner of his death that will live and grow after him. He had in him the stuff of which legends are made.”- John F. Kennedy
User avatar
Stoic Guardian
Silvershirt Armchair Legionary
 
Posts: 4135
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:01 am

Re: America

Postby FilmSnob » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:43 am

Your basic classical/idealistic duality that has shunned empiricism altogether.
FilmSnob
ex-Pezer
 
Posts: 3466
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:54 am

Re: America

Postby Stoic Guardian » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:45 am

Pezer wrote:Your basic classical/idealistic duality that has shunned empiricism altogether.

:lol:

O pray thee, tell me my faults so that I may correct them. :|
"Fascism combats, and must combat, without respite or pity, not intelligence, but intellectualism—which is, as I have indicated, a sickness of the intellect" - Giovanni Gentile

”After visiting these places, you can easily understand how that within a few years Hitler will emerge from the hatred that surrounds him now as one of the most significant figures who ever lived. He had boundless ambition for his country which rendered him a menace to the peace of the world, but he had a mystery about him in the way that he lived and in the manner of his death that will live and grow after him. He had in him the stuff of which legends are made.”- John F. Kennedy
User avatar
Stoic Guardian
Silvershirt Armchair Legionary
 
Posts: 4135
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:01 am

Re: America

Postby FilmSnob » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:49 am

Stoic Guardian wrote:
Pezer wrote:Your basic classical/idealistic duality that has shunned empiricism altogether.

:lol:

O pray thee, tell me my faults so that I may correct them. :|


In my opinion, your fault is the system you use to justify your particular brand of knowledge research and processing. It is outdated, it did not pass the test of natural selection.
FilmSnob
ex-Pezer
 
Posts: 3466
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:54 am

Re: America

Postby Stoic Guardian » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:58 am

How so? What is my System?
"Fascism combats, and must combat, without respite or pity, not intelligence, but intellectualism—which is, as I have indicated, a sickness of the intellect" - Giovanni Gentile

”After visiting these places, you can easily understand how that within a few years Hitler will emerge from the hatred that surrounds him now as one of the most significant figures who ever lived. He had boundless ambition for his country which rendered him a menace to the peace of the world, but he had a mystery about him in the way that he lived and in the manner of his death that will live and grow after him. He had in him the stuff of which legends are made.”- John F. Kennedy
User avatar
Stoic Guardian
Silvershirt Armchair Legionary
 
Posts: 4135
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:01 am

Re: America

Postby FilmSnob » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:05 am

Stoic Guardian wrote:How so? What is my System?


A form of nationalistic idealism.
FilmSnob
ex-Pezer
 
Posts: 3466
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:54 am

Re: America

Postby Stoic Guardian » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:18 am

It's not Nationalism "my nation" is simply a starting point. If I were British, French or Venezuelan It'd be the same.

I despise Nationalism in an ovewhelming majority of when I've witnessed it.

And I don't understand your context of Idealism, I've seen your definition of it before and don't see it's relevance here.

What's so bad about me? In your opinion.
"Fascism combats, and must combat, without respite or pity, not intelligence, but intellectualism—which is, as I have indicated, a sickness of the intellect" - Giovanni Gentile

”After visiting these places, you can easily understand how that within a few years Hitler will emerge from the hatred that surrounds him now as one of the most significant figures who ever lived. He had boundless ambition for his country which rendered him a menace to the peace of the world, but he had a mystery about him in the way that he lived and in the manner of his death that will live and grow after him. He had in him the stuff of which legends are made.”- John F. Kennedy
User avatar
Stoic Guardian
Silvershirt Armchair Legionary
 
Posts: 4135
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:01 am

Re: America

Postby Stoic Guardian » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:35 am

Pezer wrote:All three of us whould get together and make a thread on some Empire of Antiquity.

Hmmm?...
"Fascism combats, and must combat, without respite or pity, not intelligence, but intellectualism—which is, as I have indicated, a sickness of the intellect" - Giovanni Gentile

”After visiting these places, you can easily understand how that within a few years Hitler will emerge from the hatred that surrounds him now as one of the most significant figures who ever lived. He had boundless ambition for his country which rendered him a menace to the peace of the world, but he had a mystery about him in the way that he lived and in the manner of his death that will live and grow after him. He had in him the stuff of which legends are made.”- John F. Kennedy
User avatar
Stoic Guardian
Silvershirt Armchair Legionary
 
Posts: 4135
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:01 am

PreviousNext

Return to Society, Government, and Economics



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: gib