Paul's Great Ad Hom

Sounds a bit like flopping anon. But that is you statement.
Rather than cherry picking I call it wrestling. Anyone who accuses you of this charge, take them up on their offer and see how committed they are to that premise of taking ALL of the Bible as a constant whole. Most of the time they ridiculize themselves or their version of their religion. I can tell you that theologians have long practiced alegorization that is positing the existence of a higher meaning behind the literal meaning and by this they were able to accept the OT as a respected gentle religion. Aside from this fundamentalists that insist on a total vision of literal interpretation then have to abandon any hope that they can teach any morality. What you see on Sunday is uplifting preaching that selects very specific passages and avoids the ones that would challenge their vision of a loving and tender god. So, in practice, unless a sadist, even the ones advising against cherry picking will inevitably veer away from challenging passages, which becomes a form of cherry picking, if not in letter then in it’s spirit.

Right. Well we can’t approach the historical Jesus with anything like certainty. So if we are going to put faith in him we are going to have to take a leap. To take the Bible as the Word of God takes a leap in the face of evidence to the contrary.

The typical fundamentalist approach is to try to harmonize everything he said with other books of the Bible. That is an unwarranted assumption. Then his teachings are harmonized with Church dogma and practices. Also unwarranted. Plus there are a bunch of books in the NT attributed to him that he probably did not write.So Paul deserves a fresh reading to sort out what he was saying from the service to which the church employed it IMO.

That’s why I have the Solaris quote-“There are no answers, only choices.”- in my signature line. We have to make decisions based on limited information. May as well do it with our eyes open understanding that we may be wrong and ready to adapt if new info comes in. At this point when someone asks “What would Jesus do” the next question is “Which Jesus?”

I inquired because I was getting railed heavily for bringing up that validity really doesn’t bear much relevance to belief in religion.

I figured perhaps I could have a different type of response if the ambition of the thread was known to me.
On one hand you say you just point it out, as if just passing random thought.
I asked twice and received no further explanation aside from that it was just merely being brought up.
But then you tell me I don’t see the relevance when I respond to you saying that you were just pointing it out.

If it’s just being pointed out because of your own self awareness of the matter, alright, then I probably wouldn’t have responded at all to the thread.
If, on the other hand, there is any relevance to the weight of this subject, and the subject was posted because of that relevance, then I stand by what I have said previously.

Jayson – If this thread doesn’t seem interesting to you by now, then maybe the topic just isn’t your cup of tea. It could be that its just time for you to let it go. I’m just sayin’…

Quite to the opposite.
What I didn’t understand was the contention against what I was saying, which I thought was a fairly straight-forward observation: that religious belief is not based on validly rational logic.

After receiving the unexpected opposition to this with assertions that people do largely choose their belief based on rational logic, and thereby pointing out Paul’s invalidity in asserting a self-evident god was in fact relevant to adherent’s choices made by rational logic, I began to question whether I had missed the motive of the thread and therefore asked.

Again, I do not contest Paul’s invalidity logically regarding a self-evident god.
Now…what about it is of importance exactly?

I continue to ask because if I state that people do not largely choose belief in gods based on rational logic again, or hit on that tangent, I will receive the same contention as before whereby arguments will be supplied attempting to assert that people do in fact do so largely.

Which circles back to the above question; if that is what is believed - that people do choose their belief in gods based on rational logic - then what was the aim in pointing out the invalidity of Paul’s assertion of a self-evident god if the point was not to suggest that the claim of a self-evident god is irrational and thereby placing a chink in the armor of the asserted rationally logical choices of adherents to this god?

Jayson, if I may, I think that Felix is more reasonable. If indeed the cause of belief or disbelief lies outside of reason in perhaps the cultural and social emotions a person has then it makes no sense to respond to Felix tread. What would you accomplish? There is a saying: “Never give excuses. Your friends don’t need them and your enemies won’t believe them”.

You need not defend the case nor argue with Felix’s belief. On the other hand Felix holds almost the belief that logic leads one to or away a position a conclusion and therefore making this tread is profitable. What is the profit of arguing for or against if it is all in the end pre or even anti-rational?

Well, that was more or less my point to begin with.
This is why I brought up other examples, such as Churchill, and was attempting to point out that when such individuals speak; they are speaking with an inclusive social axiom due to their audience.
The arguments Paul, therefore, makes are not very good at being logical arguments because he assumes his audience caries with them the same social axioms of perspective as he.
These aren’t letters to people that haven’t converted to his ideologies; these are people who have, but are having issues whereby he addresses with the axioms assumed.

I don’t see why we would expect Paul to be validly logical and lacking all social axioms.

I don’t claim that all beliefs are purely pre-rational, but instead that concepts of identity towards all of reality - such as gods are - are typically pre-rational impulses from which a person will seek a theological holding which satisfies their longing in their emotion.
Which tool fits the hole?

Let’s look at the passage in question again:

The passage raises epistemological questions. Paul states that the nature of God is clearly evident in nature. So knowledge of God isn’t something that people have to reason their way to. It’s something they can perceive readily. Philosophy can’t show whether Paul is right or wrong about this. But it can show whether his arguments for it are logical or not. Granted that religious belief is based on something other than logic, it still is open to logical scrutiny.

Plantinga has gone so far as to claim that most humans suffer from a cognitive affective disorder which, when healed by the Holy Spirit, restores a person to direct revelation of God in an “immediate non-inferential manner.” [Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy: The Epistemology of Religion ] That may square with his own experience, but how can he know about the experience of others? Isn’t talking about the experience of God like talking about qualia? I can’t tell if your sense of redness is the same as mine. How can I know if what you are calling an apprehension of God is the same as mine when God itself is acknowledged to be ineffable?

I think that what men like Paul alluded to is the near universality of the concept of god (not gods) evident in his time. His audience was probably already familiar with Plato or at least the meme he created in them OT perpetuated himself which is perhaps not monotheism but henotheism.
Reading Cicero for example gives you the feeling that the idea of god was being stripped of the barbarities of earlier authors, elevated by philosophies like plato’s or stoicism. Later on in the battle for survival religious men would argue to Christian authorities that all rivers were valid as they led to the same ocean. Perhaps it was out of convenience but reading cicero for example makes me think that people in Rome felt that there was a divine reality expressed through diverse rivers that was perhaps erroneously described but universally accepted as Being.

Reflect on that line just a moment.
Then reflect on what I’ve been saying.
Do you see that you just wrote the same thing I said previously?

That:

1. Leaders tend to speak with an inclusive social axiom due to their audience.
  2. Sterile validity really doesn’t bear much relevance to belief in gods.

What I started off with was simple:
That even though Paul’s argument hinges on a premise that is unproven acontextually, Paul was clearly writing with an assumption that those who he was writing to already understood his unproven premise and was using that axiomatic premise as the foundational premise for an argument on human behavior; specifically the difference between his view of people with and without his god.

When it was brought up that it was therefore still invalid; I then pointed out that god belief is not regularly based on a logical validity, but an emotional plea (either internal or external).

To hopeful make my point more clear; assume for a moment that you believe that his god is self-evident (as you once did) and rerun the argument.
If the foundational premise, which lacks an argument and is a given, is granted room to be a given as it is in Paul’s hand; then, does the argument stop being invalid?

As to reform again: those who he was writing to, he was not being invalid; anymore than to those who Churchill was addressing, he was not being invalid.
Even though neither have valid arguments by proper logic as both rest their entire arguments on foundational premises which supply absolutely no argument for their granting (Paul: self-evident god, Churchill: free thought & expression is superior to restricted thought & expression).

So if you grant Paul a self-evident god, then his argument can begin to flow.
If you strip it away, then you have an immediately invalid argument because X can never be shown as solved.
If a variable is never capable of resolution, then the equation as a whole is an invalid equation.
But if you supply the variable with a value, then the equation can be tested.

If you supply Paul’s variable with a self-evident god, then does his equation of the dichotomy of human relation to this god follow validly?
Or, if you supply it with a self-evident god as the value for the variable, does the equation still solve invalidly?

Paul made no fallacy of logic.

Even if every single thing he said was wrong, he still made no logical error.
Felix on the other hand…sigh… just more anti-Christian agenda.

No, there is a logical error if the point is the proof of a self-evident god instead of the self-evident god being an axiom in an argument explaining the behavior of peoples with and without that god.
I tend to see it as the latter that was being done and not the former.

Jayson, as you have explained several times now, Paul was not making a logic argument or attempting to prove anything. He was simply explaining the behavior of an entity that his listeners already assumed existed. It doesn’t matter if the entity is real. It does matter if anything Paul said was true.

At no time did Paul present the Logic stipulation, “If this ____ is true, then this ____ must also be true.
Without such a presentation, there is no case for logical fallacy any more than a case against the bachelor for beating his wife.

shrug
Pretty much goes like this, as far as I see it:
God exists and is that which is, those that deny this, suffer a lie.

What’s interesting, is that if you look at this with a background of Hebrew theology, then it’s pretty circular logic in a reaffirming manner.
To put it another way:
Life exists and is that which is, those that deny this, suffer a lie.
But at the same time, also meaning this at the same time:
We exist and are those who are, those that deny this, suffer a lie.

Throw all three of those in a mix together so that they are at once the same and that would be more or less the logical implication if this were looked at from the era just before Paul and somewhat still at Paul’s time in the Levant region’s Hebrews.

I said it before…Paul was pretty screwed from the onset in his interest of creating a Hellenistic analog of this new Hebrew vision from Galilee.
The conceptual mind of the Hebrew theology isn’t dichotomic at its root, but instead recursive and nodal.
It would have been like trying to figure out how to explain four dimensional existence to two dimensional people.

What is missing is giving Paul the benefit of doubt. How important is logic in an average person’s life? That would be my first question. In my opinion and that of some logicians, not very important because the business of life begins with axiom with weight garthered by faith. Logic cannot contain it’s own validity. Faith is what gives it.
The next question is how important is a worldview in a person’s life? For me it is very important because it develops before the ability to carry out a logical argument. After, it affects, probably unconsciously how we use logic and what we take at self evident.
What I have seen supports this. What I see is often attempts to salvage something of value that is not given logically such as the benevolence of Jesus. Similarly Plato and Socrates and others philosophers sought reinterpretations that would allow them to retain at least what was of value to them.

Paul may have been onto something of nothing else from the psychological perspective. From it it is argued that maybe it has nothing to do with god. Check out Loyal Rue’s book. So maybe god is self evident or not; that is not as important as our human situation. That is why we (looking at different cultures and eras) seem almost predispose to see the hand of the divine in everything. It is not that god is self evident as in the Christian god but this di one quality men prayed to. Romans were disposed to accept the now modern sentiment that just as all roads lead to Rome, so too all religions led to the self evident divinity. And so Paul agreed that the divine is self evident but that it was reached only through one road. Some accepted this and others did not. Paul faults their moral but what he was probably remarking was a pre-rational cultural identity and indeed because of this identity they would have rejected Paul just as the Jews did and as the Muslims have even if they agree with Paul that only a fool would deny the existence of god.

Paul’s faith was not simply seeking to demonstrate god exists. That was admitted by the crowds. But he was pushing a life style change and resistance to Paul meant a moral flaw since only his way was moral in the correct sense.

James --An argument consists of one or more premises and one conclusion. A premise is a statement (a sentence that is either true or false) that is offered in support of the claim being made, which is the conclusion (which is also a sentence that is either true or false). Paul is relating his standard gospel message to the gentiles. He must show why Jesus had to die to save humanity. To do this he argues to the conclusion that "all are under sin. His first premise is that everyone knows the truth about God. His second is that the gentiles willfully reject god. From there he argues that they descend into idolatry and sexual perversion. I don’t know how you can maintain that this is not an argument in the face of this evidence.

jason–

Right but that was never something I was arguing against.

Are you saying that Paul didn’t think he needed to support the assertion that God is self-evident because he assumed his audience would be sympathetic to the assertion?> So the problem arises when the epistle is interpreted for a general audience.

I can because what you just claimed has little to do with logical fallacy.
The axioms were taken to be truth.
The discussion was about God and people and thus it is necessary that he speak of people (your “ad hom”). But the fallacy of ad hom refers to the conclusion that “My conclusion must be correct because my opponent is an ass.

The argument of “God did this or that because the people were being bad” has nothing to do with the logical fallacy of an “ad homenid”.

He made no logical fallacy.

Previously you stated that Paul was merely explaining and not arguing. That is plainly wrong as I have shown above. Now you claim that Ad hominem argument are limited to arguments against an opponent in a debate. That is not true. Wikipedia lists the following examples of ad hominem arguments none of which are directed at a debate opponent:
Examples:

Jimi Hendrix died of a drug overdose, so his music was worthless.
Leni Riefenstahl was a Nazi, so her film The Triumph of the Will is devoid of merit.
Sylvia Plath was a depressive who eventually committed suicide, so her works are unreadable.
What Ted Kaczynski wrote about boundary conditions in mathematics is shown false due to his crimes.
Brutal autocrat Joseph Stalin’s favorite opera was Boris Godunov, so the opera must offend decent sensibilities.

Paul needed to prove that the gentiles were subject to god’s judgment to make the case that they need Christ as a savior. To do this he employed arguments to show how culpable the gentiles were. So he says basically, the Greeks are homosexual and sinners and ; therefore, their religion is invalid. He goes on to state that the Jews are sinners too later in the epistle. Of course, Christians are not free from “sin” either. So how the sinfulness of gentiles or Jews constitutes evidence for Paul’s case remains to be explained.

Eh…
In some of those examples cited quality A was independent of quality B. (In the case of Hendrix however some might argue that the decadence of his life is what fueled the richness of his music). But what is the value of a religion ( A)is measured by the behavior of it’s believer? At least in Jeremiah we see this example. It is not unimaginable that Paul’s audience bought the idea that the serenity and beauty of a sage is evidence of the truth of their claims. Look at the fascination with Buddhism, yoga, and how this might have been self replicating. People seek reassurance of the truth of the belief in their salvation by radical means giving up to the lord whatever was of upmost value to themselves or their contemporaries.