Philosophically Good Movies Thread

Yeah but you do have to do a bit of mental wrangling to keep up with who and why and where people are dying or x. That said it didn’t have a large budget, it relied on people to take up the slack you’re right there.

Yeah…

As I said, badasses.

Is it cool if I move this to Arts, Music & Entertainment?

I meant to ask before, but got busy and forgot about the thread.

Yeah, no, I didn’t think so when I started it but this thread definetly belongs in AME.

Thanks!

The single best philosophical movie yet:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cube_(film)

This is from 69, so the other seriers must be based on it.

Just watched the movie Sphere for the second time in my life last night. The first time I watched it, I was a lot younger and didn’t really pay attention enough to get it. I remembered liking the visuals, though, and so I decided to watch it again.

It’s one of those movies that is just so frustrating because IT COULD HAVE BEEN SO GOOD! But it just wasn’t executed right. It was really sloppily executed, as if somebody came up with a brilliant idea and then handed it over to a 16 year old to write the screenplay. Jesus it could have been good, it could have been like an underwater 2001, there was SO MUCH POTENTIAL! Pisses me off when they ruin something that had that much potential. Could have been a classic, but it got made into trash.

speaking of space/future movies, anybody else seen the movie Moon? I think that movie belongs in this thread.

It’s not that bad, but yes it was a good idea badly directed and written.

I’m dl moon now, been meaning to watch it for a while so thanks for reminding me. :slight_smile:

Good rec. Just watched the 2002 version. Was really good.

Just saw The Man From Earth. Loved it. So many questions, so many answers and yet so few. A damn fine philosophical homage to well a lot of things. But if you like religion or indeed not then a 14,000 year old man is worth a listen. :slight_smile:

Cheers Pezer. :slight_smile:

I liked Moon, it was good even though they try to pass off very old themes as new ones. In any case, as FJ was hinting: good directing + good acting + good script = good movie, and that is the case in Moon.

I’m putting the man from earth on my list. The imdb page reminds me of that Kevin Spacey movie where he claims to be an alien that travels faster than light. One sec, let me look it up…

K-PAX is the one. I saw it a long time ago, but I remember it being very cool. While we are on the subject of Mr. Spacey, some of his more philosophical movies include Glengarry Glen Ross, Swimming with Sharks, Pay It Forward and The Life of David Gale. There must be others, but these are from the ones I have seen.

Incidently, (if you saw the movie then you noticed) Kevin Spacey was Gerty in Moon.

I would bet that was a typical Hollywood too many cooks spoiling situation. It needed on vision behind it, not hundreds of screenwriters tweaking, a dozen producers weighing in and likeliy some of the stars also infecting the story with their needs. Probably would have been great if it had a more no name cast and even a lower budget. Then the suits don’t give a shit and often a single guiding vision can carry the day.

Justice League of America: Crisis on Two Earths is a fantastic superhero cartoon movie that deals with “what is the meaning of action?” like few other movies can.

I tried to watch it. Couldn’t make myself sit through all that forced dialogue. Not sure if it was bad acting, bad script or both. In any case, it was just torturous to watch. Impossible to suspend disbelief.

An explicitly philosophical movie with stupendous acting:

Sunset Limited.
Adapted from a play by Cormac McCarthy, starring Tommy Lee Jones and Samuel L Jackson.
It’s mostly about nihilism, atheism, religion and death.

Exam is awesome. And if you liked Exam then “El metodo” (imdb.com/title/tt0427582/) is an absolute must see.
I love films that take place in one room although, truth be told, they usually suck.

If you like those kinds of films then also check:
Unknown imdb.com/title/tt0450340/
ATM imdb.com/title/tt1603257/
P2 imdb.com/title/tt0804516/ (I really liked this one plus Rachel Nichols boobs, enough said.

Seen it. Good film, nothing spectacular thought. Also films that take place in space freak me out for some reason.

Very original film although a bit slow sometimes and the ending is a bit disappointing.

Saw it like two months ago or something. It wasn’t that good. The portrayal of the atheist was very stereotypical.

well there are stereotypes for a reason. i’d bet atheists in general take suicide in old age as a much more feasible option than most religious people. and american atheists probably are on average more depressed – not necessarily because of atheism in itself, but because of being different. because of being in the demographic that most americans distrust. i think a lot of american atheists have a sense of not belonging, and i think that that stereotype is perhaps pretty accurate (though perhaps a bit exaggerated in the movie). it’s something worth looking into, and I think this Sunset Ltd did a great job at that.

Holy shit balls. That Beyond the Black Rainbow trailer looks fucking amazing. The trailer is a piece of art in itself.

I don’t know if I mentioned this film before or not but Mr.Nobody is one of the best films I have ever seen and it doesn’t get much more philosophical then this.
Here’s the trailer which does not do any justice to the film.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oU_aIfityBQ[/youtube]

And here is one of the most interesting trailers I have ever seen for a film which is yet to come out. You get goosebumps just from watching this shit.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBrd5AF8kos[/youtube]

those two look really good, gonna get the Jared Leto one now.