Philosophically Good Movies Thread

I tried to watch it. Couldn’t make myself sit through all that forced dialogue. Not sure if it was bad acting, bad script or both. In any case, it was just torturous to watch. Impossible to suspend disbelief.

An explicitly philosophical movie with stupendous acting:

Sunset Limited.
Adapted from a play by Cormac McCarthy, starring Tommy Lee Jones and Samuel L Jackson.
It’s mostly about nihilism, atheism, religion and death.

Exam is awesome. And if you liked Exam then “El metodo” (imdb.com/title/tt0427582/) is an absolute must see.
I love films that take place in one room although, truth be told, they usually suck.

If you like those kinds of films then also check:
Unknown imdb.com/title/tt0450340/
ATM imdb.com/title/tt1603257/
P2 imdb.com/title/tt0804516/ (I really liked this one plus Rachel Nichols boobs, enough said.

Seen it. Good film, nothing spectacular thought. Also films that take place in space freak me out for some reason.

Very original film although a bit slow sometimes and the ending is a bit disappointing.

Saw it like two months ago or something. It wasn’t that good. The portrayal of the atheist was very stereotypical.

well there are stereotypes for a reason. i’d bet atheists in general take suicide in old age as a much more feasible option than most religious people. and american atheists probably are on average more depressed – not necessarily because of atheism in itself, but because of being different. because of being in the demographic that most americans distrust. i think a lot of american atheists have a sense of not belonging, and i think that that stereotype is perhaps pretty accurate (though perhaps a bit exaggerated in the movie). it’s something worth looking into, and I think this Sunset Ltd did a great job at that.

Holy shit balls. That Beyond the Black Rainbow trailer looks fucking amazing. The trailer is a piece of art in itself.

I don’t know if I mentioned this film before or not but Mr.Nobody is one of the best films I have ever seen and it doesn’t get much more philosophical then this.
Here’s the trailer which does not do any justice to the film.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oU_aIfityBQ[/youtube]

And here is one of the most interesting trailers I have ever seen for a film which is yet to come out. You get goosebumps just from watching this shit.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBrd5AF8kos[/youtube]

those two look really good, gonna get the Jared Leto one now.

Looking forward to hear your opinion.

I’m gonna be making a short that takes place in a single room soon. I’ll let you know.

I tend to force myself not to watch trailers. Ususally it amounts to watching the highlights of a game before watching the game.

Funny enough, I think I’m gonna do one too but it might take a year or so.

I think we should make it a competition. Mine might take about a year or so too, so we could have like a poll.

Or, you know, maybe there should be no competition in art.

hell yeah, make it a competition.

A healthy competition might be pretty cool. But I haven’t even bought the camera so don’t count on it to happen any time soon.

Lol, we are on the same boat.

I’m currently drooling over a Canon XL H1 that I found on craigslist for 1200 (I’ve seen it new for over 4000).

However, if my idea gets voted for, I might get to shoot it with the equipment from my school.

(The competition would be fun, but maybe it would be smarter to join forces if possible.)

Yeah but that would be so cool, if you had a movie off. Take your time. :slight_smile:

Also, just to be clear, my thing would be about a 5-15 min short. Hardly a movie.

Still, I promise to make it good.

Ever seen Spin?

I actually bought it it was that good, and I didn’t even need to. :slight_smile:

youtube.com/watch?v=oP59tQf_njc

Under 9 mins, so you don’t even need an attention span. :slight_smile:

Even the Philosophy major wins! :wink:

best movie i’ve seen in months. so great. such great cinematography, acting, writing, everything. really beautiful. it takes all the good ideas from the butterfly effect and the time travelers wife without any of the bad. the whole time i was thinking about how it compares to the Many Worlds Interpretation of quantum physics.

a really superb movie. the only complaint i have is that it’s a bit too dense for my tastes. i like movies to be a bit more airy and minimal. this was amazing though, regardless. thanks.

240p? No thanks. Maybe if you, err, umm… made a torrent…? :-" [-o<

Gah atm not likely but I probably should, why don’t you try a torrent site? That said the quality on the original isn’t that much better than the youtube. It’s not the graphics that count it’s the writing. :slight_smile:

Small budget mate, 41 international awards though, take a chance. :slight_smile:

Something like this is what you are up against.