Philosophically Good Movies Thread

Looking forward to hear your opinion.

I’m gonna be making a short that takes place in a single room soon. I’ll let you know.

I tend to force myself not to watch trailers. Ususally it amounts to watching the highlights of a game before watching the game.

Funny enough, I think I’m gonna do one too but it might take a year or so.

I think we should make it a competition. Mine might take about a year or so too, so we could have like a poll.

Or, you know, maybe there should be no competition in art.

hell yeah, make it a competition.

A healthy competition might be pretty cool. But I haven’t even bought the camera so don’t count on it to happen any time soon.

Lol, we are on the same boat.

I’m currently drooling over a Canon XL H1 that I found on craigslist for 1200 (I’ve seen it new for over 4000).

However, if my idea gets voted for, I might get to shoot it with the equipment from my school.

(The competition would be fun, but maybe it would be smarter to join forces if possible.)

Yeah but that would be so cool, if you had a movie off. Take your time. :slight_smile:

Also, just to be clear, my thing would be about a 5-15 min short. Hardly a movie.

Still, I promise to make it good.

Ever seen Spin?

I actually bought it it was that good, and I didn’t even need to. :slight_smile:

youtube.com/watch?v=oP59tQf_njc

Under 9 mins, so you don’t even need an attention span. :slight_smile:

Even the Philosophy major wins! :wink:

best movie i’ve seen in months. so great. such great cinematography, acting, writing, everything. really beautiful. it takes all the good ideas from the butterfly effect and the time travelers wife without any of the bad. the whole time i was thinking about how it compares to the Many Worlds Interpretation of quantum physics.

a really superb movie. the only complaint i have is that it’s a bit too dense for my tastes. i like movies to be a bit more airy and minimal. this was amazing though, regardless. thanks.

240p? No thanks. Maybe if you, err, umm… made a torrent…? :-" [-o<

Gah atm not likely but I probably should, why don’t you try a torrent site? That said the quality on the original isn’t that much better than the youtube. It’s not the graphics that count it’s the writing. :slight_smile:

Small budget mate, 41 international awards though, take a chance. :slight_smile:

Something like this is what you are up against.

I don’t know… It might sound silly, but I want to make my first bunch of shorts without watching anybody else’s, that way I can build on a more original base. I will study them closely at some point, but first I want to make my debut.

Not silly it sounds rational, don’t watch it, make your own trail. :slight_smile:

really good ideas in this one, i thought the filming was really great as well. i thought the acting and just the general execution of the film were a bit on the sloppy side. It was one of those movies where there’s just not enough time to become really empathetic with the characters, ya know?

it reminds me of that thread that’s active about if computers can think. I personally think that a sufficiently complex (among other criteria) AI could be considered intelligent and thinking, and the writers of this movie seem to agree.

also, the simulation-within-simulation idea reminded me of this funny meme: I used to play this game called Minecraft a few years ago. One of the most interesting aspects of Minecraft is that there’s electricity – you can make circuits that turn it on and off, and so there’s a big portion of the community dedicated to building logic gates (I know the basic ones), and even simple computers within Minecraft. When someone makes a particularly large computer within the game, the joke is to ask, “Can it run Minecraft?” Minecraft within Minecraft. Pretty cool idea.

anyway, that is all.

Black and White

A knowing and well crafted look at black-white culture and culture differences.

Just watched A Dangerous Method http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1571222/
Pretty damn good.
Specially interesting to a psychology undergraduate like myself.

Slavoj Zizek ftw