A unique approach to the discussion on nihilism.

Part 3

My goal is to increase my lack of belief, that is a wish to get rid of all but three of my fundamental beliefs (my fundamental beliefs that I wish to keep are life, family, nihilism). I would never advocate that a nihilist or anyone else not believe in life. Also, I would never suggest anyone stop believing in family and friends that are as close as family.

So I must try to believe in those three things, and I only want to believe in them more. So how do I increase my faith in nihilism? It comes down to abstract ideas that can be expressed in language, symbols or any other form of expression. Perhaps rather than speaking of ideas we should speak of art and “beauty”. I’ll use music as an example. Obviously, I no longer wish to like or dislike any type of music. If I can actually accomplish that then music would only be white noise to me. But, you see living a life where I place no value on things is not my goal. My goal is to, with the noted exceptions, get rid of all previous value judgments and then once there to start fresh. To create entirely new values that are entirely my own, to live Sartre’s authentic life in a fuller way, by far, than even he expressed it.

Obviously, I can’t go all the way, as said in a certain ways I don’t even want to. To oversimplify that’s the nature and nurture debate. As much as I’m taking the side of nurture I can’t rule out nature. I’m so tired of the beliefs I grew up with, they are mostly self destructive, they are untenable, they are incoherent. If one treasures their beliefs then by all means keep them, I don’t.

So I have two questions:

1. How far can I go in getting rid of all beliefs and value judgments (except life, family, and the belief in no truth)?

2. If my goal is to one day have almost entirely new beliefs and value judgments, is the approach, as stated above, of getting rid of all prior beliefs, then starting from scratch the best way to do it? Or should I should I just replace them piece meal?

In other words I have a large wall I want to paint. Should I paint one fourth of it over four days, knowing that there will be three vertical lines permanently on the wall, or should I paint it all in one day, despite how tired I’ll get from 15 hours of constant painting?

I wonder if you’re using nihilism as a philosophy or as a method, but that may be because I have my own definition of nihilism as a method of gaining a clear platform on which to build one’s personal philosophy. Nihilism, as a philosophy on its own, is self-defeating, to me.

To me, the ability to be as honest with yourself as is possible in introspection is the most valuable tool on the tool-kit called your mind. You won’t be able to “get rid of all beliefs and value judgements,” but you can try to evaluate their worth to you within your world, along with determining why and/or how you internalized them to begin with. The basis of propaganda is to say something so often and so ‘sincerely,’ that people believe it to be true. Keep that in mind; but remember, also, that you won’t be able to answer all your questions logically and/or rationally. At some point, you’ll probably say, "I believe this bit of what I’ve been taught because I ‘feel’ it is true. I’m not a self-help columnist, though.

I guess I’m using it in both ways. Now that I think about it I have been describing the method more than the philosophy. When speaking of Sartre or Heidegger I’m speaking of work related to the philosophy of nihilism. But, the method you described seems to be a good way of summarizing what I’m trying to do as well.

Exactly! My self has so often defeated me, I’d now like to defeat my self. What better than a self-defeating philosophy? To defeat my self I must either get rid of it entirely, such as one may be able to do through years of meditation and other techniques, or I must get rid of all that is in my self that is not mine. Meditation is out of the question so I’m left with nihilism.

I’ve done that my whole life, I wasn’t raised and taught any worse than anyone else in the modern world, but the problem was a took everything I was taught literally, or at least I assumed if it had any truth then it was entirely true. So the teaching was ok, but the way I learned them wasn’t, so my fault or “theirs” I didn’t pick up any ideas and values on life and so forth that weren’t destructive to me. So they’re mostly all bad, back to the paint analogy, I can dab the old chipped paint here and there until the paint covers the wall entirely, and it will look very bad and uneven, or I can just repaint the whole wall. So the question=s goes back to how to go about it.

Perhaps, my problem is that I don’t feel many things to be true no matter how many times I hear them. Think about it this way. They told me “never tell a lie”. Most never give that rule a second though, or even a first one, they lie when ever it’s opportunistic, and some even when it’s not, that is they are the happiest of people. Some do eventually feel the belief in that rule. They feel it’s true so as “morally” ambiguous situations arise they simply go with their gut on whether to lie or not. I took such “moral rules” literally, that is I believed or at least decided to respect the logic of it in deference to my parents. There is no logic to the idea though. The issues of when it’s “right” to make an exception to the rule aside, one doesn’t always even know what the truth is. One might suggest just saying, “I don’t know”, but sometimes you don’t know if you don’t know! One must not take these rules as logic, feel them, understand them intuitively, that is inconsistently and self servingly, if at all.

Nihilism is not matter of faith but of rationality.
Nihilism comes directly from rationality; it is its obscure side.
When everything in the world appears to be rational, then nihilism turns up.

There is no need to have faith in nihilism, because of its evidence. Nihilism, the strong nihilism of whom does not want to delude himself, is where obligatorily he comes who believes that rationality is source of Truth.

Nihilism can be a forced passage, to gain the only necessary faith: Faith in Truth.

Strong nihilism does not respect any value, even life or family.

However, really strong nihilism has feet of clay. Because when you reach it you immediately refuse it: it is impossible to keep.

Reaching it is however an occasion, because in front of the abyss it can happen the rush of the faith in Truth.

Thanks for the comments, I mostly agree with you, except I don’t expect to find truth with nihilism, I mean I recognize that possiblility that I will, but I doubt it. Can you explain why you believe it will lead me to truth?

All depends on my free being. I exist only because of my free will.
Without free will I would not exist.
But what does it mean to be free?
It means to be unconditioned.

Unfortunately, the rational interpretation of reality doesn’t admit any unconditional.
That is, my existence could be an illusion. And I would be only “being here”.

More the rational interpretation of the reality is considered truth and more the nihilism grows.
Up to when I don’t find me in a limit-situation, that shakes me in the depth.
Then I must choose who I want to be, conscious that this is a choice for the eternity.

Choosing, my Existence turns up affirming: “I am, because I am free, against any evidence!”, and so doing she breaks the “being here”, and she gives a look to her own Transcendence.

How do you figure?

You believe you are unconditioned? You think, for example, your physiology isn’t conditioned for life on this planet? Or your thoughts aren’t conditioned to your senses?

Everything we are able to know is conditioned.

Our reality is “being here”, the original division subject-object.
In the “being here” there is not any freedom.

When I say I am unconditioned I appeal directly to my origin: “I want to be myself!”.

Free will is an action.

When I act doing what I must, I am free.

I get the impression that what nihilism is to you is to keep the beliefs/values you have down at the level of intuition rather than up at the level of commitments to fully conscious principles–wishy-washy and flexible, not firm–no?

I would suggest not replacing them at all. If my above interpretation is correct, then the intuitive level is exactly where you want to be–for the rest of your life. This is where you are most flexible and adaptible to most of what life throws at you. If you want to replace all your old beliefs/values with new ones at the level of conscious principles, that’s fine too, but just don’t cling to them.

Bobgo, what you’ve been saying about freedom is very much about what Sartre says in Being and Nothingness, the term “being here” reminds me of Heidegger’s “being there” or Dasein. I wonder what philosophy you’ve studied in the past or are these mostly you own observations? I’m going to have to think about how that description of freedom relates to finding truth, but perhaps we just have a different definition of the word truth.

Definitely.

Thanks for the advice, I’m going to have to think about that some more.

Stuart, a lot of us were given a list of “shalt nots” while growing up; we were taught in black and white. As we matured, we began to see all the shades of grey that lay between the black and white. This can present us with moral dilemmas. Can we or can we not follow the 10 Commandments exactly? This is where we have to decide 1) what the Decalog means to us in our world, and 2) are we obligated to follow them?

It depends on you. The first three Commandments have to do with God and how He’s to be recognized and worshiped; but what if you don’t believe in a Biblical God? At the same time, you may not be able to rid yourself of a God-concept completely, since it’s led to an internalized system of morals and ethics that might lead to ‘good.’ The Commandments are guidelines; only later did religions prescribe punishment for actively ‘disobeying’ those guidelines.

The following seven Commandments have to do with how to live in a social world.

Honor your father and mother. Is that possible if they’re abusive or if they flaut the law?
Don’t lie. Actually, the Commandment reads, don’t bear false witness against your neighbor–don’t accuse him falsely.
Don’t steal, don’t even want what your neighbor has, or his wife, because that might lead you to steal from him.

And so on. These are moral precepts. But they’re quasi-religion-based. You can get rid of religion without getting rid of morals and ethics.

I think that’s what Nietzsche was saying when he wrote about the ‘free-spirit’–I interpret that as meaning a spirit freed from the restrictions of strictly interpreted religious values(?) and able to think on his own. IOW, don’t throw the baby out with the bath-water.

The way you describe the ten commandments is a lot tdifferent than the description I got from some random Christian website. It seems they are as bad as I thought, but I was taught them in the same way as that website. I hear people saying so often, on this forum and eslewhere, that the best morality is to look after yourself. One must often act moral to help oneself, that’s what I intent do do, so I’m not interested in throwing away useful skills that I learned, I just want to lose all respect for them, except in how they can help me and my two close family members.

I meant they aren’t as bad as I thought.

Sorry if it’s off-topic, but, um, what?

Who says this?

The only person I can think of at the moment is Captain.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=181024&start=25

He may have only been half serious, but I’ll let you know who and where when I think of other examples. I say this a lot, but, still, to be sure you don’t get the wrong impression, that view is not one I was originally inclined to ascept and while I adopt it as a nessesity I’m don’t admire those who’ve always had that view and don’t really put any thought into it, I just think they’re much smarter than I was.

Well, Captain is nowhere near as smart as you, I’ll say that.

Cheers.

Compliments are rare and far inbetween, so thank you.

Interesting situation (and well stated).

So you want to convince yourself that you know nothing?
…except that life and family is good (I guess).

“I want to believe that all mathematics is indeterminate except 2+2=4 and 3*3=5.”

…hmmm…

I suspect your “starting all over” option would be the better one.

A person cannot change anything of himself without discipline, “faith in oneself”.
But then a person who wants to change himself has faith in what exactly?

Suggestion;
Get a blank bound writing booklet and promise yourself that you will write nothing in that book until you are 100% absolutely certain that it is either true or valuable, depending on which concern you are seeking, truth or value.

Of course, depending, you could possibly just forget the book because it would take quite a while before even the first entry, so it helps to have incentive. Two historical incentives have been;
“don’t speak until you speak absolute truth” and
“don’t move until you know absolute value”.

Of course you will want to compromise, maybe with;
“speak only of niceties until you know an absolute truth to speak instead” and
“don’t eat until you know absolute value”.

But I suspect you would want to compromise even further.
But you get the idea, right?

Thank you, as well.

Well, I think my life would be in bad shape if I believed all math is indeterminate, but I’ll believe 3*3=5 if I must, it’s not like I work with numbers in any important capacity.

I don’t even want to recognize my self let alone have faith in it. A cat has faith in life and he or she doesn’t have even the notion of self according to most zoologists. A cat will learn to hunt rats instead of mice if necessity dictates. Necessity dictates nihilism for me, and thank you for offering your view as to that question.

Actually, years of looking for truth had the incidental effect of leaving with little “accomplishments”, so you’re absolutely right. Now that I don’t believe in absolute value I’m getting a few things done here and there.

It can be an important morality depending on your situation in life. I find that, most of the time, people who are consciously and actively selfish are people who are troubled. I think it’s an instinct that turns one’s attention to the self in order to focus on self-healing (or at the very least, getting all one’s ducks in a row).

Truth is not something can be found.
We are here, now, just because there is not Truth.
However, searching the Truth, with our faith in the Truth, we can become ourselves.

I consider Karl Jaspers my master.
Although both Jaspers and Heidegger are Philosophies of Existence, to me there is a great difference among the two. I don’t appreciate Heidegger because I consider him not genuine.

I agree with how much written by Jaspers about Truth, particularly in his book: “On the truth” (Von der Wahrheit).

Sartre belongs to Existentialism, he is certainly interesting, but to me he is not as deep as Jaspers.
And it is indeed necessary to go to depth.
Because nihilism, not the strong one but the weak nihilism that is diffused wherever, is a serious danger. Weak nihilism has produced the nazism, the fascism and who knows what other evil in the future it will produce.

Forgive me for my English, is not my native language.
I’m writing here just because I have to…