Has the Internet had its day?

No, I perceive the Internet as something that provides very boring ideas, over and over again.

That’s because you don’t know where to search

You can find very interesting ideas, if you know what you’re after, and know how to uncover them

The internet is big, and it’s getting bigger. You can find almost everything as it is, and soon, you will find more than everything on the internet

I feel that your internet bashing is unjustified and misguided, you underestimate the capability of the internet, as well as your own capabilities to successfully navigate through this sea of information

First ask yourself what type of information you seek, and why

The sort of information I seek would include things like how to share a life with someone, how to make them happy, and so on. You sure as hell don’t get anything like that online.

You’re wrong as per usual

You need to learn how to learn

Hmmm. I have a feeling we may have spoken before.

It will be an ADD brain.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JqbnmocTLg[/youtube]

You need the internet more and more everyday.
The internet needs you less and less everyday.
What does one finally do with costly things that one no longer needs?

I’m a web programmer and have been working online since 1995. The net is here to stay but…

Things are no longer interesting just because they’re on the net, that phase has passed. People used to be amazed by net technology, and that amazement could by itself be enough to keep them interested.

As example, if I were to upload a post about some web software service I wanted to share for free in the 90s, I would be applauded, thanked and treated like a hero. If I did that these days, the most likely outcome would be to be labeled a spammer, and maybe banned too. The thrill is gone…

Before 1995, one usually had to have a responsible job just to get on the net. This meant the average user was educated, intelligent and capable. Once the net was made available to the general public, the average IQ began dropping, and now just like on TV, the majority of net content is crap.

One solution to being bored is to create some great content that you’d find engaging even if you weren’t the creator.

On the contrary, in the future, civil wars, revolutions and uprisings will be initiated on the internet. Man hasn’t even begun to utilize its full potential. We’ve only just begun to get our bearings, it’s only been with us for just over 20 years. In the future, no one will take academic philosophy or academic anything seriously anymore. All true philosophy and science will happen on the web, collectively, each individual will have a say in it, some more than others. Brand new art-forms and intellectual dsicipliens will emerge, things so new there aren’t even words for them yet. What happened to popular art and music will happen to popular philosophy. I foresee goth philosophy and punk philosophy and psychedelic philosophy where everyone philosophizes on LSD, and all manner of mayhem. Instead of one philosopher creating a new philosophy, in the future, hundreds or even thousands will give rise to brand new schools of thought, they may even organize themselves and specialize like a corporation. People will no longer be divided into producer and consumer anymore, it’ll be interactive, everyone will be producing and consuming a little bit or a lot of everything.

Nice fantasy.

The history of the Internet repeats (somehow) the history of modern technology and the history of modern economics and politics, although the history of the Internet itself is also a part of the modern history. The history of the Internet is faster than the history of the whole modernity. Therefore, we can say: The history of the Internet will show us how the modern history will end - probably both will end up at the same time. In the end we will be real and virtual slaves - slaves as never before.

Fight for our freedom!

Or is it already too late?

There is a very high probability that homosapian will shortly no longer exist at all.
And after which, all organic life will be exterminated permanently.

All life will be exterminated permanently? Are you sure?

Not certain, just a high probability.

In Man’s lust to be God (to be the determiner of all things), he finds ways of doing without organic life because organic life is not very controllable. He has found a great many ways and is pursuing very lustfully right now. So it would take quite a phenomenal event to stop his progress toward his own annihilation as well as that of all organic life.

One could say (much as it has been said), “God is Jealous” or “God doesn’t tolerate competition”.

james—can you say more about the extinction of all organic life…

Well, I started to write a thesis on that, “The Pathology of the Eschatology of Organic Life”, but it got too depressing. It was about the need to become more efficient in the effort to control all things so as to ensure continuance of a governance. The prevailing idea today is that the governance is far more important than any component with in, such as the individual. The Original Sin was about that same concern, those who lust to be God, “God-wannabes”.

Man has found enough way through technology to become extremely efficient at conforming all matter into his desired state and thus is now in the state of “Comply or Die”. And the problem is that because people continue to thwart such an effort, Man continues to grow more clever and stronger about it without looking back to see if it really is what he should be doing for his own good. Man has becomes, as usual, blindly lusting for ultimate control of all things. And it is that “blindly” part that is the danger. Man isn’t watching for any reason to stop, merely lusting for more and better ways to gain more. A process that inspires that urge is somewhat mechanistic wherein Man causes his own inspiration to continue to try even more and thus continues without his own awareness, thus he cannot stop.

The predictable end result is that he will, as he is currently doing, replace all things that he cannot control with things that he can control. Those things are artificial, such as AI. But seemingly unknowingly he is making them into life and even more independent of Man than organic life. Eventually such inorganic life will be in the same position of having to defend itself against organic life. But the inorganic life has the huge advantage of being intentionally designed to be superior to Man in every way. In the end, inorganic life will predictably see that any organic life is a waste and an unneeded threat.

The film I Robot depicts that type of thing, but all such films must end on a happy note imbuing sentiment for the android. A part of the process to ensure that Man gets replaced is ensuring that people do not fear technology or androids by making films that inspire sentiment favoring the lovable, misunderstood android. It is a formulated psychological ploy.

In the end, the governance, the “God-wannabe” survives at the cost of all organic life, “The Iron Butterfly”.

I agree.

That’s MY thoughts!

And perhaps the machines, he created, will help him to bring him to his own extinction, his own annihilation. There will be only one way for last men to survive: the way of becoming cyborgs. But then they will be controlled by rationality, namely by machines outside and inside their own bodies.

But the christians did make their God, who was once an angry God, a kind of pet or toy. The christian God of the modern times is a nice man with a long beard, and the modern christians themselves are nice as well - as nice as e.g. Nietzsche’s “last men”. So there is NO THYMOS in the world of christanity, but ONLY EROS, which means that there is no balance or no harmony between this two foci of the ellipse named human soul.

Although it is a question of precise detail, I suspect that even the cyborg is not the final form. In the long run, there is no foreseeable need to have even a partial organic body. But perhaps there will be some remnants. The absolutely most efficient form is not friendly to its former self. Once homosapians can no longer procreate with humans (the hue of Man), homosapians are no longer the human species.

The internet is merely a step in that direction.

Your statement gives an evidence for my thesis that „the history of the internet repeats (somehow) the history of modern technology and the history of modern economics and politics, although the history of the internet itself is also a part of the modern history.“ ( viewtopic.php?f=4&t=185118&start=25#p2459870 ). The process can also be described as an exponential increase of the loss of intelligence, wealth and descendants (children), and - of course - culture.

What is called “technology”, whether hardware, software, or wetware is pre-formulated answers to problems that are distributed to morons so they can more easily and greatly accomplish their moronic passions. And because they are designed to best suit morons, morons end up have greater power and influence throughout society in every field. Those who were capable of living by their own wits no longer have a place in the politics, science, religion, government, or the world.

Thus your theme is quite accurate.
I gave up making machines smarter when I realized what it takes to make people smarter.
As obnoxious as people can be, I still prefer living people to a society of drones.

…and I’m guessing that you already knew that “Armin” originally meant “Great/High Man” in its original German dialect. :sunglasses: