Philosophy For Us Dummies

This is the place to shave off that long white beard and stop being philosophical; a forum for members to just talk like normal human beings.

Re: Philosophy For Us Dummies

Postby turtle » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:17 pm

us dummies have been waiting to post the most spectacular stuff for 2014---------------here it is
evolution is a miracle in progress...it is the closest thing we have to a miracle...
humans from atoms here on earth....
turtle
ILP Legend

Postby Arcturus Descending » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:21 pm

Sometimes, I personally feel that the closest thing that there is to being a miracle is the changing of the human heart and mind.
"Look closely. The beautiful may be small."

"Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing admiration and awe, the oftener and more steadily we reflect on them: the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me."

“Whereas the beautiful is limited, the sublime is limitless, so that the mind in the presence of the sublime, attempting to imagine what it cannot, has pain in the failure but pleasure in contemplating the immensity of the attempt.”

Immanuel Kant
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby turtle » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:57 pm

us dummies-----I am not seeing much philosophy on these forums....help me out...where should I look
turtle
ILP Legend

Postby Arcturus Descending » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:14 pm

turtle wrote:us dummies-----I am not seeing much philosophy on these forums....help me out...where should I look

Under your shell? :evilfun:

"Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing admiration and awe, the oftener and more steadily we reflect on them: the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me."

“Whereas the beautiful is limited, the sublime is limitless, so that the mind in the presence of the sublime, attempting to imagine what it cannot, has pain in the failure but pleasure in contemplating the immensity of the attempt.”

Immanuel Kant
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby turtle » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:18 pm

Arcturus Descending wrote:
turtle wrote:us dummies-----I am not seeing much philosophy on these forums....help me out...where should I look

Under your shell? :evilfun:

right now Socrates is under my shell arc
turtle
ILP Legend

Postby Ierrellus » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:20 pm

What do you want philosophy to be?
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend

Postby Stuart » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:23 pm

I'm traversing on the frontier of naturalistic philosophy.
Stuart
Philosopher

Postby turtle » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:29 pm

Ierrellus wrote:

What do you want philosophy to be?

thinking about life
turtle
ILP Legend

Postby turtle » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:30 pm

Stuart wrote:I'm traversing on the frontier of naturalistic philosophy.

how are you coming
turtle
ILP Legend

Postby Stuart » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:31 pm

It's slow. Lonely like most frontiers.
Stuart
Philosopher

Postby Stuart » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:36 pm

turtle wrote:happy new year to us dummies....
I have been thinking about intelligent design..
according to Darwin it was apparent design...that is a big difference...
the word intelligent implies a being....that is not science...that is religion
I will stick with science on this evolution theory...argument seems stupid
you are talking about different ways of thinking...

us dummies have been waiting to post the most spectacular stuff for 2014---------------here it is
evolution is a miracle in progress...it is the closest thing we have to a miracle...
humans from atoms here on earth....

Naturalistic philosophy has already begun, to some extent.

There's a distance between humans and animals, can we metaphorically put it in terms of miles?
Stuart
Philosopher

Postby Arcturus Descending » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:28 pm

Stuart,

There's a distance between humans and animals, can we metaphorically put it in terms of miles?

That would be depend on the human and the animal. If we're using consciousness as a measuring stick, one might metaphorically :lol: simply put it in inches or less.

At what point did us humans become fully evolved humans, insofar as looking human I mean. We will never ever bcome fully evolved.

Immanuel Kant
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby MagsJ » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:33 pm

Philosophy is waiting for a reply and debating that reply without maliciousness or Ill intent but with a yearning to understand more.

A while back I replied to posts with replies that I liked the sound of but that were contradictory to what I'd said prior to the contradictory reply, and I thought I'd get replies hi-lighting the contradiction but instead I got abuse and aggression, so I learned that people just ain't nice even if we expect they should be due to our mutuality.

I didn't bother correct the misunderstanding..
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get that time back, and I may need it for something at some point in time. Wait! What?

--MagsJ
MagsJ
The Londonist

Postby turtle » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:53 pm

MagsJ wrote:
Philosophy is waiting for a reply and debating that reply without maliciousness or Ill intent but with a yearning to understand more.

A while back I replied to posts with replies that I liked the sound of but that were contradictory to what I'd said prior to the contradictory reply, and I thought I'd get replies hi-lighting the contradiction but instead I got abuse and aggression, so I learned that people just ain't nice even if we expect they should be due to our mutuality.

I didn't bother correct the misunderstanding..

of course that is what the dummies are waiting for....discussion/debate/reply without attack on persons..
emotional maturity is a problem on these forums...please direct us dummies to a philosophy post that is a philosophy discussion....the older mature members need to lead the way...
turtle
ILP Legend

Postby Stuart » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:25 pm

Arcturus Descending wrote:Stuart,

That would be depend on the human and the animal. If we're using consciousness as a measuring stick, one might metaphorically :lol: simply put it in inches or less.

At what point did us humans become fully evolved humans, insofar as looking human I mean. We will never ever bcome fully evolved.

Exactly. Though with seven billion people, further evolution is almost out of the question, while a reversion to the medium is very likely.

As to your question, I do think I have an answer. The highest peak of genetic evolution was probably achieved by the end of the last ice age more or less 10,000 years ago.
Stuart
Philosopher

Postby turtle » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:39 pm

us dummies ----don't worry ...we will all die and this fucking life will be over....make the best of it...
turtle
ILP Legend

Postby Ierrellus » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:20 pm

I think there is an omega point for evolution at which devolution will begin, if it has not begun already.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend

Postby turtle » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:38 pm

Ierrellus wrote:I think there is an omega point for evolution at which devolution will begin, if it has not begun already.

we are on the way down.....our smart cortex can no longer control our technology....our violence is taking over....
just hang on and observe the fall...we can still help each other on the way down..
turtle
ILP Legend

Postby Ierrellus » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:16 pm

turtle wrote:
Ierrellus wrote:I think there is an omega point for evolution at which devolution will begin, if it has not begun already.

we are on the way down.....our smart cortex can no longer control our technology....our violence is taking over....
just hang on and observe the fall...we can still help each other on the way down..

So do you see the human future as beyond "Mad Max", devolution to animalism? Or the "Matrix", trapped in the virtual?
Ierrellus
ILP Legend

Postby turtle » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:23 pm

Ierrellus wrote:
turtle wrote:

So do you see the human future as beyond "Mad Max", devolution to animalism? Or the "Matrix", trapped in the virtual?

species extinction probably..... by our own hand
turtle
ILP Legend

Postby Stuart » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:00 pm

In the former there's always a chance for the species to survive in a meaningful way. Unfortunately, I believe the latter seems slightly more likely. Humanity would become a hive mind that would lose all sophistication until it had nothing left but an advanced version of the functionality based intelligence of an actual bee hive.
Stuart
Philosopher

Postby turtle » Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:57 pm

how can we know anything about any god.....we are just a human chimp
turtle
ILP Legend

Postby Ierrellus » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:18 pm

turtle wrote:how can we know anything about any god.....we are just a human chimp

Our aspirations are a type of knowing. Otherwise, what are they for?
Ierrellus
ILP Legend

Postby turtle » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:20 pm

Ierrellus wrote:
turtle wrote:how can we know anything about any god.....we are just a human chimp

Our aspirations are a type of knowing. Otherwise, what are they for?

there is a possibility that we don't know about these aspirations....maybe they have to do with the survival instinct..
turtle
ILP Legend

Postby turtle » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:48 pm

us dummies----I am appalled by the amount of ignorance on these forums...
turtle
ILP Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Philosophical Chat