Official: Post a Picture of Yourself

My best results over just 3 years of experimenting were actually not the hydroponic ones. The peppers I grew in 7gal smartpots with my own soil mix were the best. I got a freaking half bushel of fatalii off a single shrub, almost the same from a bhut shrub. I’d be inclined to go that route, soil and sodium.
I’d be selling them in farmers markets if this city wasn’t so ridiculously bureaucratic. I have enough peppers to obliterate the bottoms of the entire Chicago population. Don’t know what to do with them anymore. Running out of places to stored bags of dried peppers and bottles of sauce. That’s why I’m only growing a couple of favorites this year.

I’m still thinking about the whole business thing. Don’t know how big I want to get or how much I want to put into it. It has been just a pretty successful hobby so far.
I’ll see if I can dig up some pics. My files are a mess.

I don’t know if the chain “Eat in Park” is in Chicago, I’m not planning on heading out there till Jan for used book shopping (love the lake effect blizzards, and few competitors for the train or bookstores)… they will oftentimes buy exotic local produce.

If these are brazilian seeds, then high end Brazilian Restaurants will buy them. The most expensive restaurant in San Francisco, for example, if a brazilian buffet, charging a hundred dollars for dinner, not including the wine. It is a three day journey from chicago to san francisco by train, in order to ship a box via train.

Realize you sit in the center of the midwest rail hub that links up to the rest of the US. If you were based in Hawaii, everything is sent to a LA warehouse… but small farms are still able to sell specialized prepared foods across north america.

My last garden was 3600 watts of hps and about 30 plants in 5 gallon bubble buckets.

Then there were 2 areas, 1 with t5s, and another with a 400 watt metal halide and I’d use those for keeping moms, rooting clones, and vegging bushes until they were large enough to go under the big lights.

Oh geeze… I would of thought a professional drug dealer could design a better setup.

You can literally buy waterproof led lights by the roll, and have them snake around plants, and then shelf them. Or buy the LED lights individually and hook them up in a circuit… super cheap. A single LED light takes like, 1.5 watts. Light is light, plant grows when it gets light. You effect its metabolism and health by the color of light, temperature, and symbiotic balances of microorganisms in the soil. A single grade a solar cell, which can be bought for less than a buck (much less if you drive up to green bay), and could easily power an LED light.

What I really want to do is start a farm above the arctic circle, in Alaska. If you cover a building in water, and it freezes, the internal temperature isn’t going to drop below the freezing point of the light. My underlining theory is plants require only momentary spurts of lights in low metabolic environments, similar to the spurt you see in a copying machine… instead of a continuous stream.

If correct, it could lead to a dramatic drop in prices for northern populations, in the US, Canada, Russia, and the Scandinavian states, as well as open up the viability of supporting much larger populations that far north.

I’m also interested in alot of other things… but this gives you a hint of how I look at things.

What do you know about the setup really except the amount of light and plants?

You just love thinking I don’t know shit. But that’'s ok man. The setup is judged on it’s yield and efficiency. I think I did well in those 2 categories.

LEDs are complete shit for producing weight. Not to mention the fact that light is only light if you mean lumens are only lumens, and if you mean that plants don’t respond to variances in the spectrum of the light. LEDs can’t beat the spectrum of HPS for flowering plants, and to get the same lumens out of them, you have to run just about the same wattage that you would for HIDs anyway…so you either save electricity, or you grow more plants. There’s no free lunch when it comes to that shit and people have been trying to get around this forever. It wont work. You can shine your LEDs on a garden all day and sure, your plants will grow, but the same plants under HIDs will grow denser, and therefore more. And that’s what you want my friend. Compared to the cost of an oz of high grade weed, electricity is dirt cheap. I’ve seen guys spend 3 or 4 months trying to grow a plant under a CFL and sure…it grows. But at that level it’s just a novelty. Like, “Hey look guys I got a plant to grow in my dresser”. These guys get less than an ounce in the same time and same space that I can get 8 or 10 if I"m using a 400w HPS.

No Smears… thinkness as you call it has to do with blue wavelengths in light, not light intensity, which is a secondary to tertiary factor. Growth output is far-red light. Nutrients factor in more. Its the length of bombardment, not intensity, that makes plants grow hugh. Alaska gets low light, but its near continuous in the summer, hence why the Alaskan State Fair has recorded so many world record holders for plant species. Second factor is the plants ability to sense competition by a close neighbor. This causes it to grow talker with more leafs, hence the far red light, which plant leaves naturally reflect. Blue light causes it to think a drought is coming… stores up on liquids and nutrients.

You may have just achieved complete talking out of your ass status Smears, high five…

Your pot smoking buddies aren’t that impressive of a resource, how many years have they spent reading through agricultural studies, or forestry journals, or cryological studies? I think your skillset was, learn a basic set up, make sure you could profit from it, and didn’t experiment much. What do you think I was doing down in Hawaii… look at my okd posts, they were always mentioning farm related researchI even took a job with a plant cloner doing security so I could learn more, and lived in Monsanto country.

But hell, you smoke pot, and look like a worn out Jared from Subway, clearly you know more about everything, because you make up stuff all the time on a website about invisible girls and trips to nowhere. Cue same lame comebacks you’ve used the last few times: …

Shall we make every subject into a pissing contest?
um… where am I… oh, the internet. What was I thinking…

I’ve got a firemen’s hose.
unzipz

I took pictures of every part of the set up in the US Botanical Gardens in DC I could see too, I got them on a portable hard drive.

And it wasn’t a pissing contest, Jared just peed himself, and I pointed it out. He needs to stick to talking about subway.

Do carry on, I have a bag of m&m’s.

No, I work in 4 hours… seven days straight, need sleep. He can win mthe argument, as long as I win reality and the future.

And no, we were not fighting over you… put your candies away or you’ll get fat.

I’m but a n00b on these parts. I have no idea of the history between you two.
For all I know, it could be love, right there.

If Smears could realistically just… win you, I could never love you- ever as a possibility (you would be inherently flawed) and I doubt Smears wants to put up a struggle, period for a woman, much less one with opinions independent of his own. So we would never fight over a girl… I can’t imagine someone with more opposite tastes than me, if one even hinted going in his direction, I would lose all interest… but to each man his own. (And by you, I mean any woman hypothetically being fought over).

Oh dear… it is love.

I must say that I am siding with hps on this debate, though.
This might be because pepper plants, as well as weed plants, are very energy demanding, heat loving, nitrogen crunching, full-sun plants. LED might do really well with lettuces and herbs and the likes.
My experience with LED is limited, though. I never invested too much on it, and my experience with solar cells is nonexistent.

Then you would of also backed the flat earthers when Columbus sailed… just the way people are, the apish conservatism against the hard unknowns of technical science.

My judgment, backed by extensive experimentation with hps, and very limited experimentation with LED, is flexible.
I’m willing to be persuaded.

Who are this tough guys?

A very lovable human - being imaged: