Any Western Philosopher Greater than Kant?

Hegel - he inverted Kant and brought into a more comprehending view in metaphysics and the nature of reality.

Why can’t you then write his name correctly? His name is Immanuel Kant.

Kant (or/and Hegel) is (are) the „Father of Modernity“ („Vater der Moderne“).

I think you should take kant’s dick out of your mouth.

…

waits

Who should do it? If you mean me, then I have to remind you of the fact that this is a philosophy forum and not a kaffeklatsch forum. Try to think! Do you really know what “Father of the Modernity” means? What is modernity? The meaning of modernity is not automatically a positive one, but it can be a postive one. There are many people and many values. And obviously you know nothing about my values and nothing about the meaning of modernity.

Relax, hombre, it was an inside joke.

:laughing:

Should I believe that? :-k

B.t.w.: Why do you have a spider in your mouth? :slight_smile:

The last few posts here
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=185985&start=50#lastpost

I’m going to let you in on a secret…

I’m a spider.

The above is off topic from the OP.
The greatness of Kant re this OP is based on his significant philosophical theories and his overall philosophical framework, not the details as above.

Side note;
Re Moral, Kant has a set of books to support his ethical system, and you are merely relying on Metaphysics of Morals [MM]? You should consider the Groundwork and others before dealing with the MM.

Kant do not believe and accept an absolutely absolute free-will. One basis without going into the details is his Copernican Revolution.
If you want to critique his view, you should read his books to understand his arguments [not sure if you have done that] and then present your counter views based on what you understand.
It is very common for many to merely glance over his books, interpret his views wrongly [straw man] and argued against their own wrong interpretations.

Note, I don’t want to go into the details of this side note.
If you want you can open new threads on whatever points you want to discuss. I would not participate nor waste my time unless you shows understanding [not necessary agree] of Kant’s work.

I agree Hegel is very great as well with regards with various aspects of philosophy but not greater than Kant on where it matters, counts and the ultimate.

Hegel was influenced by Kant.
Kant demonstrated why the absolute, thing-in-itself [aka noumenon, Ding an Sich] is to be taken in term of negative employment;

Elsewhere he also showed why the thing-in-itself [aka Absolute] should NOT be reified.
If such an idea is to be used, then, it should only be used regulatively not constitutively.

From what I have read of Hegel’s main principle, he ignored all the above advice of Kant and reified the Absolute, aka the thing-in-itself.

My interpretation; Hegel was a victim and relapse on Kant’s warning on this;

That is the illusion where,

Here is another warning from Kant;

It is unfortunately Hegel lost his intellectual grip on the above and psychologically [subliminal] succumb to the seductive illusion of the ‘Absolute’. Schopenhauer also suffered the same corrupted virus.
This ‘Absolute’ is the same as the Absolute Brahman of Hindu and other Pantheists.
In contrast, Kant non-reification of the Absolute is similar to that of the core of Buddhism.

On the above basis and where it counts, Kant’s philosophy is ‘greater’ than of Hegel’s.

Noted.
For me, the focus was more on ‘Kant’ [not on the first name] and his philosophies. At least the wrong spelling of his name prove a point I am not obsessed nor idolized him as a person.

In other words, you are just a reputation salesman, having no idea of whether your product is actually good for anything. You’re just the PR guy.

He mentions a “Categorical Imperative”, an absolute highest priority for making decisions.
What is that imperative?

Of course, Kant had the correct judgement when it comes down to knowing the whole thing, as we are of course merely human beings in this vast Universal. He is indeed correct that we all often fall into pitfalls, because of being human beings, of over-speculation and misguided reason. Nonetheless, I believe that Kant was misguided into believing that we can never ‘truly’ know the Reality as it is, or what he calls Noumenon. For me, and many others, the underlying way to know this Absolute is simply to look at it ‘as it is’ - as what I believe is emphasized in Eastern philosophy, I believe. All things else falls into place, through intuition and with that, the use of reasoning and logic.

I don’t really buy the idea that he completely resolved the problem of induction, though he did offer an interesting response to it. His ethical system was pretty terrible as well, in my opinion.

True.

Like all the others, Kant wasn’t wrong about everything, nor right about everything. Hegel had a greater challenge and started a lot of social trouble, eventually through Marx. They didn’t have it all right either.

From what I know about Hegel and Marx, Marx had merely misrepresented Hegel and turned his philosophy upside-down; from Idealism and contemplations on the Absolute to Materialism. But I do agree that Hegel ended up misguided and too attached to his philosophy.

He didn’t reveal the basic resolve to it (definitional logic).

It is difficult to translate Kant’s “Ding an sich”. One would do better to not translate it and after the use of it to describe what is meant. The “Ding an sich” has much to do with “Erkenntnis” (“knowledge”, “cognition”), “Erkenntnistheorie” (“theory of knowledge”, “theory of cognition”). It is not possible to (exactly, really) know the Ding an sich.

That is true. And, b.t.w., it refers also to the Ding an sich and to the sentences I said above. It is a problem of Erkenntnis.

Schopenhauer (some people call him “Eurobuddhist”) accpeted merely two philosophers before himself: Kant and Platon.

If Kant (or Hegel) is the father of the current modernity, the Occidental modernity, then Platon (or Aristoteles) was the father of the former modernity, the Ancient Greek and Ancient Roman modernity.

Or do we have to say: Hegel (or Kant) … and Aristoteles (or Platon) …? :-k

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=187452&p=2518630#p2518539

Any Western Philosopher Greater than Kant?

And answer is yes,
[b][i][size=150]IT IS LADY JANE
LADY JANE LADY JANE LADY JANELADY JANELADY JANELADY JANELADY JANELADY JANELADY JANELADY JANELADY JANELADY JANELADY JANELADY JANELADY JANELADY JANE

LADY JANELADY JANELADY JANELADY JANELADY JANELADY JANELADY JANELADY JANELADY JANELADY JANELADY JANELADY JANELADY JANE
LADY JANELADY JANELADY JANELADY JANELADY JANELADY JANELADY JANELADY JANELADY JANELADY JANELADY JANELADY JANELADY JANELADY JANELADY JANELADY JANE
LADY JANELADY JANELADY JANELADY JANELADY JANELADY JANELADY JANELADY JANELADY JANELADY JANELADY JANELADY JANELADY JANE
[/size][/i][/b]LADY JANE

No… just no.

Do you understand what “going off topic” means.

This is again off topic in the manner of your above question.

If you say;

1. The “Categorical Imperative” [CI] is the main “keystone” of Kant’s philosophy.
  2. The CI is a useless concept because of X, Y, Z.
  3. Therefore Kant is not the greatest.
    then, perhaps that is relevant.

The CI is central to Kant’s ethical system, which is one the best ethical system I know of. However Kant is ‘greatest’ in consideration of his many other significant contributions to philosophy. Even without this ethical system, Kant is still the greatest.
Thus your CI question is irrelevant to this OP.

In any case, before you discuss CI let us know what you understand 'what is the Categorical Imperative" proper.