Philosophy is Friendship

Turdmonger,

Hopefully you’re making bank, friend of philosophy. Beloved wit, so missed.

This is not funny, just neurotic.

When philosophy is all about the “lulz”, Turd with his fifty shades of brown is naturally considered more colourful than yours truly.

Many members here equate some form of drug taking with philosophical epiphanies, but are those epiphanies grounded in reality when they are created elsewhere?

:laughing:

You have created a whole story around my liking one tune… Pezer’s tune, and now you are deeming me shallow and fake?

Tell me about the drug scene I’m in and the music I dance to? then I’ll give you my version of my scene.

What is EDM?

Why lie to spare another’s feelings when one could say nothing at all?

Nietzschean or other… can’t we all just… get along?

I feel like I’m in the middle of a turf war akin to Westside Story or Romeo and Juliet (only without the forbidden love part).

EDM stands for [e]lectronic [d]ance [m]usic. It’s a catch all phrase for club music (that is electronic, I suppose, as if there is club music that is not electronic.)

Very popular in Europe, especially in Netherlands, which is the land of EDM. Less popular in America, which I believe is dominated by rap music (if not by Lady Gaga.) Rap too is part of EDM, but for the purpose of this thread, we are excluding it.

What do you “listen” to when you go out clubbing, MagsJ?

I like dance music… but not necessarily the electronic kind, but I’m not averse to it… I need to hear a melodic voice along with my music, which the European version seems to lack.

I’ve been to big clubs a few times… when forced by friends, but I prefer boutique clubs with a 200 capacity… give or take… where they tend to play a heady mix of rap, UK hip hop, dance, grime, 80s, disco, and RnB all in one night, but I tend to like my music more off-key and less mainstream.

…but I’m far too old for clubbing so these days I tend to frequent professional networking events, political drinks events, sporting events, music festivals, brunch events, etc. but if they happen to turn into a lit late night party… I ain’t complaining :wink:

I have been known to grace the floors of the highest end adult parties in Town, but they make mine eyes and moral compass hurt, so I only go to their tamer cabaret and canapes drinks events… where if people want to hook up they go home and do that and not in front of everyone. :open_mouth:

:-k Why?!

Sowilos,

Neurotic is oodles better than necrotic. An attempt at a light hearted exchange has been circumvented by more profundity minus the fun. “Uncle!” Cried MM.

Because Jakob is “the most powerful intellect in the room”. Whatever he says is true.

Money + friends = philosophy

There you go. You need to hear a melodic voice along with your music. But there is neither melody nor voice in Pezer’s masterpiece. This is why you’re suspicious. This + the fact that you don’t know what EDM it. You cannot possibly be into EDM without first knowing how to define it.

You are also wrong when you say that European dance music seems to lack melodic voice. In fact, only European dance music can possibly have any melody to it. Dutchmen even went so far to invent a breakdown phase during which a long melody is played while everyone is doing nothing but holding their hands in the air.

Why not?
Don’t we do that with our notions and beliefs about God?
People are “into God” without actually knowing how to define that “IT” - they just believe they know.

Anyway, I don’t actually agree with you there, Magnus.
Music is part of the human emotional experience. We can be “into it” without knowing its history or how it is necessarily defined. We either like something or we don’t - though we can come to appreciate it better - we feel it within our spirits or for lack of a better word, our souls.
We resonate to certain music. That’s on a different level than intellect.
I love Puccini. I don’t know much about his life, actually nothing, and I don’t know music but I do resonate to his music. I fall deeper and deeper and deeper into those sounds. I go into another place, and that place needs no words, no intellect, just who I am at my core, my being, my soul. lol

I might ask you how you’re defining the word “melody”.

“Immortals mortal, mortals immortal: the former live the death of the latter, the latter are dead compared to the life of the former.” (Heraclitus, Diels-Kranz fragment 62.)

Whose attempt? Fixed Cross posted his OP in the Philosophy forum, not some mundane babble forum.

I don’t know. Do we?

This thread is a crucible.

In terms of gaining something here vs sowing, at this point and for a while now I routinely skip past every single post here except for those made by two or three users here. I seriously don’t read the rest. Why the fuck would I?

Fixed and Sauwelios, as Fixed notes about sincere friendship, I’ll require your earnest critique and ideas with respect to my new work. Ideas too are crucibles. So is music (say hey to Pezer for me).

Friendship is a mystery to most people. I gave a compliment to someone recently at work, they got really quiet and seemed embarrassed. I think people secretly know when and where they lack pride, lack value. But at least they retain their shame, sometimes.

Friendship really is no different then the commercial exchanges which go on in markets and bazaars. People trade their wares, in expectation to get something else. There is absolutely no relation of this to philisophy, where serious thinkers don’t expect anything in return, except a brief notice to their altruism.

Friendship is expecting alliance, protection, reliance, a tool to escape solipsism, and a potion against yet more formidable enemies then one’s own brethren.

See what happens when the old adage, friends in need are friend in deed are thrown by the wayside? Or when a rich man surrounded by friends of all kinds suddenly find themselves abandoned, when their mo eye is gone?

Or in the case of dishonest philosophers they start throwing mud at each other for some ridiculous bit of nonsense?

I think philosophy was invented to appease those who were left bereft of these superficial frailties.

Is Pezer’s track a finished symphony, or the beginning of a work in progress?

Can tunes we like to listen to and to dance to be different?

In the UK we simply call ‘EDM’ Electronic, so simply a case of confusion in translation on my part, and it’s not about a specific genre of music per se but about the actual track that has caught my attention… regardless of genre, so no definition necessary in my world.

I like all sorts me :wink:

…and that is the kind of Electronic music and DJ set that bores the fuck out of me :open_mouth: Sorry, but my attention span does not allow me to be part of a flock with their hands held high worshipping at the alter of the DJ deck. Fuck that cunt!

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I614PKPFIjw[/youtube]

…would appreciate your reply to this more… on-topic enquiry?

Like you can’t possibly be into food if you don’t know how to define it.

Truly.

In as far as actual philosophical development goes, there obviously isn’t anything to read except Sauwelios, you, and myself.

For the rest it’s just people and their personal lives and ponderings. Some of them know this and as such have acquired a style that is pleasant for me to read in the morning.

Others fancy themselves thinkers and churn out post after post of absolute rubbish. Of course these posts are to be ignored.

I accept these rants in response to my posts as therapy sessions for such individuals.
Im not joking. I see online philosophy as a crucible indeed, serving many ‘dirty’, i.e. unintended functions.

Will do

I think friendship can only exist between equals, or between two people that have decided that one is the master and the other the slave. Many friendships of stupid people are arranged like that. The former case is what I refer to as a philosophical state; it requires not only that one knows oneself, but also the other. And to that end, one needs to not only know oneself but also master oneself.

Pezer is a lazybum who will never ever finish anything. Indeed, you can’t even say he’s starting anything.

That’s not what I am talking about. I am talking about euphoria (= rush = chills = goosebumps), not DJ worshipping.

I thought you were an American. Either way, EDM is EDM everywhere, especially in Europe (UK including.) EDM has been in popular use since at least early 00’s. It was popularized in America recently, but that’s only because American and European club scene are not one and the same scene.

In your made-up world, yes, but in reality, it is necessary. In the same sense that in order to enjoy Pollock’s art you need to know who the artist is.

Music is supposed to reflect natural biological rhythm. With these guys, it is the reverse. Music is supposed to suppress this natural biological rhythm.

This is why I say it is physically impossible to enjoy Pezer’s music. Our bodies simply do not have such vibrations. It’s unnatural.