Why do people get tattoos?

Actually, I think I have too much of it. In relation to what is ideal, of course. In relation to some other people, I am sure, I appear as if I have no such instinct at all.

But what does that have to do with anything . . . they are ugly, period.

The fact that you can relate to it means nothing, certainly not that it’s beautiful.

You need to make a comparison, decide on what is better, reach closure. Simply being open-minded isn’t enough.

[b]MA wrote:

[/b]

if I recall correctly, you laid some pseudo claim as to your heritage with the Vikings.

HA!

Look them up and their tribal tattooing.

You recall incorrectly.

Enlighten me.

What is your ancestry again?

1/2 Serb
1/4 Montenegrin
1/4 Herzegovinian

Don’t see Norsemen in there.

But there may be some Celts . . . May-be. Noone knows. Slavs mixed with them, rumors have it, and most Serbs have significant percentage of Celtic genes, some claim. I have some Celtic traits, like Celtic skin, and keratosis pilaris, but that means little to nothing.

I mentioned Celts, not Norsemen. And even then, I wasn’t serious.

Tattoos are ugly.

I do not like asymmetrical tattoos only symmetrical ones and preferably black in
colour. And only on white women too. Though I prefer women without any at all

The motivation for getting a tattoo is all over the map. Some people what want to mark an event or person or religious/political position. Or just to have art on their body. Or some combination of the above. Having a tattoo is a way to make a statement – first to yourself – then to anyone else who sees it. We all want to express ourselves and be heard by others. We want to clarify what we think and relate that to others. If we don’t relate to others we feel alone – isolated. Being alone is painful. So it seems reasonable to say that one gets a tattoo in order to relate to oneself and others.

Of all the tattoo ideas I’ve come across, I must say this one is the most memorable! :laughing:

youtube.com/watch?v=UwXOAZDewuo

Well in all sincerity the penis should be revered.

65992-56630.png

According to Taoist philosophy, the penis is completely Yang in nature, as the Vagina is completely Yin in nature. It is only when the two are together that there is true balance.
The penis has 5 virtues.

1. The penis is Kind. It exists mainly as a tool for servicing the woman, and in this it keeps on giving and giving.
  2. The penis is Righteous. It is not selfish. It performs its duty, yet it is empty on the inside, a hollow tube, with nothing of its own.
  3. The penis is Courteous. It is polite. It advances or retreats at the right time. It is hard or soft at the right time. It is shaped neither squarely, nor is it pointed or sharp edged. It will neither hurt nor show lack of discipline.
  4. The penis is Wise. It knows how to find a way to please the woman, and it will do whatever is in its power to satisfy her.
  5. The penis is Honest. It will keep labouring until it completes its duty. If it cannot fulfill its duty it gives up completely. It is completely honest. If it likes you it stands up straight. If it does not it becomes indifferent.

No wonder women have penis envy. :mrgreen:

This is much simpler than what Maori guys are wearing – which is horrific – but it is nonetheless questionable, purely on aesthetic grounds.

You no longer see her skin. Instead, you see this artifice. Which is not even interesting or meaningful in some way. One has to ask: why not put it on paper instead? Indeed, it would be much more accessible that way. But no, she has to put it on the back of her arm . . .

It tells some kind of story? Okay, maybe. But why not put it in diary instead? What’s the point of writing your stories on your body?

No, it’s not meaningful. There is absolutely no sound reason to cover your body with tattoos other than “I am bored”.

It is on the same level as some guy walking in the middle of the crowd carrying a sign that says “I AM GAY IF YOU TOO ARE GAY PLEASE COME SAY HI I WANT TO FALL IN LOVE”.

Yes, he’s expressive; great, he wants to be heard, find himself a soulmate; but how intelligent or civilized is such an approach? Isn’t it depressing? Isn’t that a sign of social degeneration? Who among the civilized expresses themselves in such a way?

…which is why I watch it umpteen times in a row when I watch it.

Don’t think I have, but from the trailer I see they’re a rowdy bunch :neutral_face: I wonder if they have moments of tranquility and quiet meditation… or may be only when they are asleep. 8-[ My oldest (half) sister is like that… gets it from her dad.

There is beauty in tradition… because it has meaning, and yes… they wear it well. :smiley:

I remember the other South Pacific Islanders having similar tribal tattoos, but after looking them up they vary enormously from island to island… reflective of their different cultures I guess.

Polynesian:

google.co.uk/search?q=polyn … ent=safari

Fijian:

google.co.uk/search?q=fijia … whZfg_11:2

MA wrote:

I imagine that at some not so distant point in the future someone will start a thread titled “why do people lick their anuses?” naturally, of course, because by that time people will be so degenerate that licking one’s anus would be just as normal as it is normal today to have a tattoo on your body, and amidst the responses to that thread there will be one which would staunchly defend the practice of licking one’s anus by appealing to the history of now extinct species called animals and no sense could be called into that person for he would fail to realize that animals aren’t equal to humans and that, no, you can’t just isolate practices and make them equal by arguing that they belong to different epochs.

My point is that Maoris are a primitive people with very poor sense for what is beautiful.

They are, quite simply, ugly.

What they lack is critical element.

They make too many unnecessary movements – excess of creative element – which leads to redundancy, obscurity, noise, needless complexity, etc.

Think of jazz music and its countless wasted notes . . notes that mean absolutely nothing and that wouldn’t have been there if the person playing them applied some filtering to them.

Jazz music is black music, right? You appear to be fond of black people . . .

Think of rappers and their excessive hand and other body movements . . . think of their speech too.

Maoris are no different. They are spammers.

You knock sophisticated Jazz… in favour of what?

So does European baroque style… flamboyant, emotive and very religious. Yet, it is considered by many as one of the most beautiful artistic styles in the world.

You must be one of those people who listens to Handel for relaxation. :laughing: But seriously, maybe we should first address the whole purpose of making music. According to this doc, the original purpose of music was to share common emotional states and to bond. Since we are social animals, it can also be seen as an extension of grooming activity, and it is essentially emotional. I think you might be one of the people who think that anything outside classical music is not really music, but then I’d have to ask, what is music for, evolutionary speaking? And if the music does not emotionally move you, has it fulfilled its function? I don’t know about you, but for me, if wanted to actively work my brain on picking up on complex auditory patterns/sounds (critical/logical processing), I might just choose to listen to Morse code messages or learn different bird calls, or foreign language, instead.

Will you accept a medical reason?
dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ … eutic.html

MA writes:

You just don’t get it and your pedantic attitude exposes a feminine spirit.

You are like white bread, no nourishment left in you.

The first hakas were created and performed by different Maori tribes as a war dance. It is an ancestral war cry. It was performed on the battlefields for two reasons. Firstly, it was done to scare their opponents; the warriors would use aggressive facial expressions such as bulging eyes and poking of their tounges. They would grunt and cry in an intimidating way, while beating and waving their weapons. The second reason they did this was for their own morale; they believed that they were calling upon the god of war to help them win the battle. They were heavily choreographed and performed in time. It gave them courage and strength. This type of haka is called a peruperu haka.

“Ka Mate” is a haka that has been the haka most performed by the All Blacks when they play against international teams. It is a ceremonial haka, and it was written by Te Rauparaha. It is a celebration of life triumphing over death.

youtu.be/yiKFYTFJ_kw

It exudes masculinity that today has become a rare quality.

I have a bunch of tattoos, I got them because I was bored.

Magnus, how can you not like jazz? You’re crazy man.