Roman Krznaric: a talk on Seizing the Day

How are you familiar with Mr. Krznaric?

I am not, but I will be after the talk :wink:

I am familiar with the Philosophy group holding the talk, but I have yet to attend one of their events… until now. Krznaric reminds me of an Alain Button or a Louis Theroux and that whole genre of social philosophy that they explore and attempt to resolve.

I will be attending many more of their talks, as these pertain to me much more than their reading group events ever will.

Thanks for dropping by WendyD…

Empathy huh?

When someone gets shot by a bullet, I feel it.

When someone commits suicide, I feel it.

as in, it actually happens to me.

This guy has no clue what empathy is.

carpediem.click/index.html - upon going onto the book’s (I guess you’d call it) marketing website my first must-share observation was the differing book covers for the US and UK. Such different covers to convey the same message. Why the need for such different covers?

Are you sure that they are the same book for the titles are different?

It seems they are: carpediem.click/CarpeDiem.html

Hmmm? :-k The UK cover is better. Reprints always have different covers…maybe?

Krznaric was a Political Scientist… amongst other jobs he had over the years. He worked his ideas out through a carpe diem mandala… indicating that a balance of the 5 elements it contained was needed in order to live a fulfilled life, and the 4 ways in which those vital elements could be used negatively or inappropriately.

A clearer daytime photo of Krznaric’s mandala:

I would definitely want to buy that book if I saw it and so hope I do

Mags

Curiously, his mandala graphic has a distinctly “Eastern” … Chinese aesthetic … for a Western audience? For example … the Yin Yang symbol in the centre … Hmmm!

The notion of ‘spontaneity’ … seize the moment … is a pillar of Lao Tzu thought … Wu Wei … “Dao De Jing”

carpediem.click/01/

carpediem.click/02/

carpediem.click/03/

carpediem.click/04/

carpediem.click/05/

carpediem.click/06/

carpediem.click/07/

What aspect of the book has made you want to buy it? I have linked to the summarised short essays of each chapter in my previous email below, and will be reading them now myself.

7 down, and 3 to go.

Krznaric does mention that the origins of the notion were around millennia ago, and even beyond then… I guess the mandala/Yin Yang symbols is an ode to that.

To me, Western philosophy just seems to always be a reworded offering of the pre-existing concepts and ideas that have always been around since the beginning of the arrival of a conscious man, and to that end philosophy is simply transient.

When do you see this guy in action?

In what respect do you mean WendyD?

Did you see him in person?

Yeah … maybe some day we will all acknowledge that we drink from the same “fountain”. :slight_smile:

He seemed to be a familiar favourite with the crowd, but new to me… but I am sure that we at the group will see him again for his next talk. I did not stay for the 2nd half/the discussion part of the talk, so I will just have to put my debating steez on hold till the group’s next talk.

As I asked for a mandala card on my way out he said… I hope you feel better soon, I said… Hey, thanks. A historical moment for him I’m sure. :laughing:

…but the divide and conquer application has put paid to that, starting from back when rising kingdoms started trading with each other… swapping monetary payment for rustling and then downright blatant thievery… I think that one of the 4 barriers on Krznaric’s mandala covers that.

And that is the precedent that brought us to this present day.

There’s always the possibility it will all change tomorrow. :smiley:

Since we are animals … seems logical to expect that our animal nature would bring us to where we are today. We simply need to wait for the cosmic event that will lift us out of … place us beyond … transform … our animal nature to a spiritual nature.