Expulsion

WendyDarling

Well you seem like a good person to me - hopefully phyllo does not mind me saying that :evilfun:

You heard . . . lol, I am kidding . . . we have all done things that could be considered messed up to others.
I think your heart is good. So, no to you having a bad self.

No it is not your wishful thinking - I do not care what anyone has to say about this. Good beats evil - simple.

Lol . . . yeah, I think you got the point.

:smiley:

Are you his brother or something? :laughing: Geez, I have a reputation…really? What’s that gossip been saying about our differences of opinion? :wink: :laughing:

You are not bad yourself, but every once in awhile I wonder if you are an AI bot. :-k No offense meant, truly, but crazy thoughts cross my mind sometimes and I can’t find my “off” switch. :evilfun: :laughing:

Thanks again Aaron. :smiley:

You are welcome WendyDarling.

Nah - I aint no bot.

The story of AI makes me laugh - I do not believe I ever stated my position on that . . . Hmm.

Maybe somebody can prove me wrong by twisting my words on me . . . who knows.

I was reading the rules of the philosophy forum and came across this: Sock Puppet Accounts.

That makes me wonder.

:-k

I am a software engineer. I work on compilers, interpreters and operating systems. I am against what is called AGI. Simple AI is kind of useful so I am on the fence about that. MI is the one that worries me the most.

I wonder why people need to use sock puppets.

Yes, why?

Had to look up AGI: adjusted gross income or (my favorite) American Gunsmithing Institute. What are AGI and MI?

WendyDarling

Artificial general intelligence (AGI) - also known as strong artificial intelligence.

MI - a reasonably new technology - Machine Intelligence - a model of the Neo Cortex.

When I said simple AI - I was referring to weak AI - the non-sentient kind.

Where’s the tipping point between weak and strong AI? What is the line of code that changes everything? :-k

True weak AI is dedicated to a single task. That makes it a mindless automaton. I do not want to derail your thread.

Yes, we have strayed. I’ll PM any further questions.

WendyDarling

If I may ask . . . who was it that was expelled in 1862? I can read up on it if I know who it is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expulsion_from_the_United_States_Congress

Hmmm? This is not what the other website, the original site, I investigated said about expulsions. In Wiki, two guys have been expelled since 1862 and the other site said that everybody had resigned before they were expelled. :-k I may have been looking at the Senate and House of Representatives separately. So, two Reps. got expelled, but no Senators…okay, that makes sense.

WendyDarling

Just an FYI - I don’t know a great deal about politics - I am a quick learner though - when I say quick - 3 to 6 months should do it on history and some technical stuff.

I really detest inconsistency between websites - I believe it contributes to some of the ballyhoo of conspiracy BS that we have to put up with. I think the Wikipedia link that you provided will be a good start for me. I will be looking at the references - that is for certain. I am familiar with the Senate and House setup - we have that here. I can also ask in another forum that I am a member of - there is a guy in there that understands this stuff pretty well.

Before you know it, I will be edumacated . . .

:laughing:

Interesting . . . so even thought we have a Senate and House of Representatives, it seems as though there is a fundamental difference between where I am from and the USA - we follow a parliamentary system, from what I can determine the USA does not. I guess I will find out as I go . . .

:-k

When you tell the AI to do a task and it says, “No.”

Good point - however true weak AI is based on a narrow set of tasks - an automaton(and possibly automata). There is no line of code between weak and strong. Strong must be designed to think for itself - weak can be engineered to say no but then it would not be weak anymore(even that could be debated).

We don’t know … with any degree of certainty … that communication is limited to man-made constructs(ions) such as language.

Hi pilgrim-seeker_tom

I am very interested in what you are saying here.

Communication is defined as follows:

1 ► the imparting or exchanging of information by speaking, writing, or using some other medium.
2 ► means of sending or receiving information, such as telephone lines or computers.
3 ► means of traveling or of transporting goods, such as roads or railways.
Could I perhaps get more of an idea of what you mean? Please!

:smiley:

[b]

[/b]

[b]

[/b]

pilgrim-seeker_tom

Thank you. I myself do have an intuitive sense.

I loved Star Trek - mind melds sound awesome.

1 ► the imparting or exchanging of information by speaking, writing, or using some other medium.

We are talking about using some other medium.

[-o<