Should a good Christian overthrown God?

For intuitive and critical discussions, from spirituality to theological doctrines. Fair warning: because the subject matter is personal, moderation is strict.

Moderator: Dan~

Re: Should a good Christian overthrown God?

Postby Greatest I am » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:40 pm

phyllo wrote:
True, but few of us think that good morals can be attributed to a genocidal son murdering God or a Rome created pacifist and Roman ass kissing Jesus.

Good of you not to want to defend Christian morality. I would have wiped the floor with you.

Most Christians know that and that is why you see them run from such discussions.

They know, as John Lennon said, that the only good Christian is a Gnostic Christian.
If I was to get involved in such a discussion with you, then it would have to amount to more than you just saying that your morals are superior to some other morals.

You brought up divorce so let's use that as an example. You say that divorce is moral and someone says that it's immoral. Do you have any reasoning to support your claim?

(And I'm not interested in watching YouTube videos, so use your own words, please)


I am happy to put an argument for my position.

Divorce is a remedy offered to those who are not happy with their mates for reasons that could include anything from abuse to just living in loveless situations. All have a right and duty to themselves to seek loving relationships.

To deny anyone the right to seek a loving relationship and life partner is immoral.

I await your argument for a no-divorce policy.

Regards
DL
User avatar
Greatest I am
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1482
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:07 pm

Re: Should a good Christian overthrown God?

Postby Ierrellus » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:49 pm

phyllo wrote:
Most progressive Christians will find the morality of God/Jesus as espoused by their fundamentalist counterparts immoral. So what?
Are you're making a distinction between "the morality of God/Jesus" and "the morality of God/Jesus as espoused by their fundamentalist counterparts".
If so, what is it?

Yes. The latter believes in a literal hell. a place of eternal punishment, while the former admits the possibility of universal reconciliation with God. Universal salvation of human souls makes God not a loser to some mythical Satan. As the fundies would have it, 99% of the human race is doomed to suffer forever in horrific torment.
But this is an aside. Where is the writer of the OP?
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 12291
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:52 pm
Location: state of evolving

Re: Should a good Christian overthrown God?

Postby Greatest I am » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:49 pm

Ultimate Philosophy 1001 wrote:[

Question. Why do Gnostic Christians call themselves Christians if they hate Christ?


Hate Christ??

We follow the teaching of Christ and strive to activate our Christ minds. Christians call it a rebirth, Gnostic Christians call it more like growing up.

I often quote these as a main part of seeking apotheosis via Gnosis.


Matthew 6:22 The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light.

John 14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

Romans 8:29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

Note the following that has Jesus speaking to those who are Christians when they did not do the work to elevate themselves to Gnostic Christians.

Luke 11:52 Woe unto you, lawyers! for ye have taken away the key of knowledge: ye entered not in yourselves, and them that were entering in ye hindered.

Mark 7:13 Making the word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye.

Gnostic Christians follow the Jesus that frees us from organized religions and puts us where he says we should be. The light of the world and free from corrupted organized religions.

How deep is that corruption? The bible tells us with the quotes above as well as others.

Isaiah 56:11) "They are shepherds who have no understanding; They have all turned to their own way, each on to his unjust gain, to the last one" But do not despair, for the day of judgment is at hand, for the day of judgment and the day of the LORD occupy the same time frame. All the dross will be burned away. (Zech 13:9) & (Malachi 3:3). In that day, "you will distinguish between the righteous and the wicked" (Malachi 3:18)

Regards
DL
Last edited by Greatest I am on Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Greatest I am
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1482
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:07 pm

Re: Should a good Christian overthrown God?

Postby Ultimate Philosophy 1001 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:53 pm

Greatest I am wrote:
Ultimate Philosophy 1001 wrote:[

Question. Why do Gnostic Christians call themselves Christians if they hate Christ?


Hate Christ??

We follow the teaching of Christ and strive to activate our Christ minds. Christians call it a rebirth, Gnostic Christians call it more like growing up.

I often quote these as a main part of seeking apotheosis via Gnosis.


Matthew 6:22 The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light.

John 14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

Romans 8:29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

Note the following that has Jesus speaking to those who are Christians when they did not do the work to elevate themselves to Gnostic Christians.

Luke 11:52 Woe unto you, lawyers! for ye have taken away the key of knowledge: ye entered not in yourselves, and them that were entering in ye hindered.

Mark 7:13 Making the word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye.

Gnostic Christians follow the Jesus that frees us from organized religions and puts us where he says we should be. The light of the world and free from corrupted organized religions.

How deep is that corruption? The bible tells us with the quotes above as well as others.

Isaiah 56:11) "They are shepherds who have no understanding; They have all turned to their own way, each on to his unjust gain, to the last one" But do not despair, for the day of judgment is at hand, for the day of judgment and the day of the LORD occupy the same time frame. All the dross will be burned away. (Zech 13:9) & (Malachi 3:3). In that day, "you will distinguish between the righteous and the wicked" (Malachi 3:18)

Regards
DL



Regards
DL


But you posted a video showing Christ to be an asshole and quack who ought to be locked away.
God is dead.
User avatar
Ultimate Philosophy 1001
the Grandmother.
 
Posts: 8226
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:57 pm

Re: Should a good Christian overthrown God?

Postby Greatest I am » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:56 pm

Ierrellus wrote:Still no words from AUOS (above us only sky). Isn't this his/her thread?
Most progressive Christians will find the morality of God/Jesus as espoused by their fundamentalist counterparts immoral. So what?


So it shows that at least some few Christians know a bit about morality, yet they still follow a genocidal son murdering God while thinking him good.

The most progressive Christian, if he has bought into Jesus as savior and accepts substitutionary atonement as somehow just, shows that he too has a corrupted morality.

Jesus said we should follow his way and pick up our cross/burdens and follow him. Not ride him as our scapegoat.

The way Jesus taught is what Gnostic Christians follow which gives truth to those who say that the only good Christians are Gnostic Christians.

Here is the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alRNbes ... r_embedded

Regards
DL
User avatar
Greatest I am
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1482
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:07 pm

Re: Should a good Christian overthrown God?

Postby Greatest I am » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:03 pm

Ultimate Philosophy 1001 wrote:
Greatest I am wrote:
Ultimate Philosophy 1001 wrote:[

Question. Why do Gnostic Christians call themselves Christians if they hate Christ?


Hate Christ??

We follow the teaching of Christ and strive to activate our Christ minds. Christians call it a rebirth, Gnostic Christians call it more like growing up.

I often quote these as a main part of seeking apotheosis via Gnosis.


Matthew 6:22 The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light.

John 14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

Romans 8:29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

Note the following that has Jesus speaking to those who are Christians when they did not do the work to elevate themselves to Gnostic Christians.

Luke 11:52 Woe unto you, lawyers! for ye have taken away the key of knowledge: ye entered not in yourselves, and them that were entering in ye hindered.

Mark 7:13 Making the word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye.

Gnostic Christians follow the Jesus that frees us from organized religions and puts us where he says we should be. The light of the world and free from corrupted organized religions.

How deep is that corruption? The bible tells us with the quotes above as well as others.

Isaiah 56:11) "They are shepherds who have no understanding; They have all turned to their own way, each on to his unjust gain, to the last one" But do not despair, for the day of judgment is at hand, for the day of judgment and the day of the LORD occupy the same time frame. All the dross will be burned away. (Zech 13:9) & (Malachi 3:3). In that day, "you will distinguish between the righteous and the wicked" (Malachi 3:18)

Regards
DL



Regards
DL


But you posted a video showing Christ to be an asshole and quack who ought to be locked away.


Yes. A video of the Rome created pacifist wimp who wants to create slaves instead of free thinking people.

Gnostic Christians follow the Jesus that frees us, not the one who would enslave us to immoral ideologies.

If you only see one Jesus archetype in scriptures, you are not looking the right way.

Have a look at the quotes I put above to the Jesus I and Gnostic Christians recognize.

Regards
DL
User avatar
Greatest I am
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1482
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:07 pm

Re: Should a good Christian overthrown God?

Postby phyllo » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:07 pm

A no-divorce policy encourages people to think deeply about marriage and their potential partners. Since there is no way out, frivolous, ill-considered marriages are avoided. The marriage that do take place, have a stronger foundation and better prospects for happiness, fulfillment and success.

A no-divorce policy makes couples work out their difficulties rather than abandoning a marriage. That builds individual character and stronger marriage.

A no-divorce policy produces a stable long-term environment for children. A divorce is very traumatic for a child, much more than living within an unhappy marriage.

As for your points ...
abuse

Abuse is a separate issue that can be handled by other legal means besides divorce.
To deny anyone the right to seek a loving relationship and life partner is immoral.
All sorts of "loving relationships" are restricted for the benefit of society ... sexual relations between child and adult, incestuous relationships, adultery, etc. There are rational reasons for these restrictions. The denial of such relationships is not in itself immoral.
Last edited by phyllo on Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Only the educated are free" - Epictetus
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy" -Beethoven
"Everyday life is the way" -Wumen
"Do not permit the events of your daily life to bind you, but never withdraw yourself from them" - Wumen
phyllo
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 10010
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:41 am
Location: Far away from the BS

Re: Should a good Christian overthrown God?

Postby Ultimate Philosophy 1001 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:09 pm

All sorts of "loving relationships" are restricted for the benefit of society ... sexual relations between child and adult, incestuous relationships, adultery, etc. There are rational reasons for these restrictions. The denial of such relationships is not in itself immoral.

When I was 15 I had a crush on my science teacher. She was a lovely blonde woman. And it was immoral of society to restrict my relations with her.
And look at the monster I am now. And also I am nothing more than a thorn of society, I mean look at me. I haven't had a serious job since yesterday. Probably it was the worst thing society could have done to itself. I literally haven't the slightest desire to contribute to society unless the said contribution makes me rich.
God is dead.
User avatar
Ultimate Philosophy 1001
the Grandmother.
 
Posts: 8226
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:57 pm

Re: Should a good Christian overthrown God?

Postby phyllo » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:15 pm

Yes. The latter believes in a literal hell. a place of eternal punishment, while the former admits the possibility of universal reconciliation with God. Universal salvation of human souls makes God not a loser to some mythical Satan. As the fundies would have it, 99% of the human race is doomed to suffer forever in horrific torment.
So the morality of God/Jesus is reduced to speculation of what happens in an afterlife.

I thought the morality which was being discussed consisted of the rules for living as set out by Jesus ... help the poor, forgive your brother, keep the commandments ... that kind of stuff. :shock:
"Only the educated are free" - Epictetus
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy" -Beethoven
"Everyday life is the way" -Wumen
"Do not permit the events of your daily life to bind you, but never withdraw yourself from them" - Wumen
phyllo
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 10010
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:41 am
Location: Far away from the BS

Re: Should a good Christian overthrown God?

Postby Greatest I am » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:31 pm

phyllo wrote:A no-divorce policy encourages people to think deeply about marriage and their potential partners.


For sure, but that does not mean that mistakes will not be made and if a mistake is made or the love turn cold, people should be allowed to try to make up for their mistake instead of having to live with a mistake that can be corrected.

Since there is no way out, frivolous, ill-considered marriages are avoided.


Not quite as people change over time and you will not the statistics that say about 40% of all female children get abused by their own fathers. I think that that % includes step fathers, but it does show how having female children changes otherwise possibly good men.

The marriage that do take place, have a stronger foundation and better prospects for happiness, fulfillment and success.


See above and recognize that some foundations are built on sand instead of a solid footing. Life is long and people change.

A no-divorce policy makes couples work out their difficulties rather than abandoning a marriage. That builds individual character and stronger marriage.


See above.
A no-divorce policy produces a stable long-term environment for children.


A good happy marriage, yes. One where abuse of men, women and children enters a marriage, no.

A divorce is very traumatic for a child, much more than living within an unhappy marriage.


Not if the child is being abused or when a child has to watch a man or woman abuse their partner.

As for your points ...
abuse

Abuse is a separate issue that can be handled by other legal means besides divorce.


If that remedy takes, perhaps. If it does not then to not allow a divorce forces people to live in loveless situation.

To deny anyone the right to seek a loving relationship and life partner is immoral.
All sorts of "loving relationships" are restricted for the benefit of society ...


Like by what, and if the relationship turn to a loveless one, who is society to force misery onto people?

sexual relations between child and adult, incestuous relationships, adultery, etc.


Those restrictions are not working as the stats I put above are fairly accurate. To have a child sit across from her rapist is also a form of mental abuse.

There are rational reasons for these restrictions. The denial of such relationships is not in itself immoral.
[/quote]

You had better re-write this last as it sounds like you would allow such rape or abuse situations because you do not find them immoral.

Regards
DL
Last edited by Greatest I am on Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Greatest I am
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1482
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:07 pm

Re: Should a good Christian overthrown God?

Postby phyllo » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:49 pm

You had better re-write this last as it sounds like you would allow such rape or abuse situations because you do not find them immoral.
You misunderstood what I wrote, so I will expand on it for you:

- All sorts of relationships are restricted for the good of society and individuals within the society. Restricting relationships is not in itself immoral.

- Calling something immoral does not make it immoral. You have to provide reasons why it is immoral.

- Morality is a set of trade-offs. Every person does not get everything that he/she wants.


You should edit your post because it looks like I wrote the stuff that you actually wrote. Very confusing. But here goes:

Not quite as people change over time and you will not the statistics that say about 40% of all female children get abused by their own fathers. I think that that % includes step fathers, but it does show how having female children changes otherwise possibly good men.
Do you have a reference for that statistic or should I take it on faith?

It doesn't support your arguments in any case. If divorce is allowed, then the divorced mother may remarry another abusive man. The divorced father is free to remarry and abuse another child. Therefore, divorce is not a solution to abuse since the abusers are still "out there".

The only solution is to jail/punish the abusers.
See above and recognize that some foundations are built on sand instead of a solid footing. Life is long and people change.
"People change". Is that a valid argument in contract law? "I changed my mind so the contract no longer applies."
I bet it doesn't work.
A good happy marriage, yes. One where abuse of men, women and children enters a marriage, no.
Abuse again? Already covered.
Not if the child is being abused or when a child has to watch a man or woman abuse their partner.
Abuse again?
Like by what, and if the relationship turn to a loveless one, who is society to force misery onto people?
Society isn't forcing misery onto people. There are plenty of ways to find happiness besides a romantic relationship with a spouse.
Those restrictions are not working as the stats I put above are fairly accurate. To have a child sit across from her rapist is also a form of mental abuse.
Abuse again? Jail the abuser.
"Only the educated are free" - Epictetus
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy" -Beethoven
"Everyday life is the way" -Wumen
"Do not permit the events of your daily life to bind you, but never withdraw yourself from them" - Wumen
phyllo
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 10010
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:41 am
Location: Far away from the BS

Re: Should a good Christian overthrown God?

Postby Ultimate Philosophy 1001 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:49 am

phyllo wrote:Abuse again? Jail the abuser.


But then you'd have to jail the jailer, then jail the jailer who put the jailer in jail, because putting people in jail is abuse, its an infinite cycle.
God is dead.
User avatar
Ultimate Philosophy 1001
the Grandmother.
 
Posts: 8226
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:57 pm

Re: Should a good Christian overthrown God?

Postby Greatest I am » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:27 am

phyllo wrote:
You had better re-write this last as it sounds like you would allow such rape or abuse situations because you do not find them immoral.
You misunderstood what I wrote, so I will expand on it for you:

- All sorts of relationships are restricted for the good of society and individuals within the society. Restricting relationships is not in itself immoral.


Can you give a couple of examples of what you mean? Who is enforcing these restrictions would also be required.

- Calling something immoral does not make it immoral. You have to provide reasons why it is immoral.


True. I usually ass an argument with the criticism.

- Morality is a set of trade-offs. Every person does not get everything that he/she wants.


No they are not. A moral tenet stands on it's own.

Give an example again here.

You should edit your post because it looks like I wrote the stuff that you actually wrote. Very confusing. But here goes:


Done. Apologies.

Not quite as people change over time and you will not the statistics that say about 40% of all female children get abused by their own fathers. I think that that % includes step fathers, but it does show how having female children changes otherwise possibly good men.
Do you have a reference for that statistic or should I take it on faith? [/quote]

You should take it by googling for yourself. Too often have I done another's leg work to have him ignore it because he did not like the source.

Even if wrong, any smaller % would not effect the argument I put.

It doesn't support your arguments in any case.


Yes it does. Again you make statements without arguments.
If divorce is allowed, then the divorced mother may remarry another abusive man.


That is not a reason to force he to stay with the original abuser. She might get lucky the third time.

The divorced father is free to remarry and abuse another child. Therefore, divorce is not a solution to abuse since the abusers are still "out there". [/quote]

Yes but eventually he might find a wife with the balls to lay a charge and have the prick jailed.

The only solution is to jail/punish the abusers.


See above. I did not look down quickly enough.

See above and recognize that some foundations are built on sand instead of a solid footing. Life is long and people change.
"People change". Is that a valid argument in contract law?


?? There is nothing in marriage law that says people cannot divorce. Only religious dogma and law is that backwards.
"I changed my mind so the contract no longer applies."
I bet it doesn't work.


Eh. No fault divorce mean anything to you.
A good happy marriage, yes. One where abuse of men, women and children enters a marriage, no.
Abuse again? Already covered.


Not well.

Not if the child is being abused or when a child has to watch a man or woman abuse their partner.
Abuse again?


We are talking reasons for divorce. Should I ignore the main one?
Like by what, and if the relationship turn to a loveless one, who is society to force misery onto people?
Society isn't forcing misery onto people. There are plenty of ways to find happiness besides a romantic relationship with a spouse.


Only if both parties agree.
Those restrictions are not working as the stats I put above are fairly accurate. To have a child sit across from her rapist is also a form of mental abuse.
Abuse again? Jail the abuser.
[/quote]

When you check the stats on abuse, if you do that is, you will see how many parents talk their children out of laying charges because of what women know the lawyers and courts do to them and their children and their reputations.

I do not see where you have justified denying people a divorce and you seem to not see love as a major component to a married good married life.

Regards
DL
User avatar
Greatest I am
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1482
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:07 pm

Re: Should a good Christian overthrown God?

Postby phyllo » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:35 pm

Can you give a couple of examples of what you mean?
I already did ... pedophilia, incest, adultery. Most people agree that restrictions on these "loving relationships" are moral. (They probably agree on restricting at least one if not all three.)
No they are not. A moral tenet stands on it's own.

Give an example again here.
Morality is a set of rules which enable a group of people to live together. That means that people agree to give up some things that they want in order to get something else as compensation. For example, many people would love to get "free stuff" by stealing it, but they understand that a society where theft is allowed would require violent defense of their own stuff. So they agree to give up the "free stuff" in order to get safety and stability.

If you look at any particular tenet, you see compromise ... for example, free speech does not permit you to say "hijack" in an airport or to yell "fire" in a theater.
You should take it by googling for yourself. Too often have I done another's leg work to have him ignore it because he did not like the source.
Why would I need to do "leg work" if you already know where the statistic comes from and you can just stick a link on the page??
You're the one trying to convince me of something by even stating the statistic. If you can't provide a reference, it makes me think that you could be mistaken about it or you just made it up.

Since you have been wrong about statistics before and since you cannot provide a reference, there is no reason to believe this statistic. I will just ignore it.
That is not a reason to force he to stay with the original abuser. She might get lucky the third time.

Yes but eventually he might find a wife with the balls to lay a charge and have the prick jailed.
Just because you can't get divorced in a no-divorce society does not mean that you have to live with an abuser ... people can separate and live in different areas. That's the same kind of "solution" as divorce offers. It's not really a solution at all. It passes the abuser on to someone else. It mirrors the solution that the Roman Catholic Church used when priests molested kids. They moved the priest to another parish. And he would molest kids there again. <- NOT A SOLUTION TO THE PROBLEM
?? There is nothing in marriage law that says people cannot divorce. Only religious dogma and law is that backwards.
Marriage is a contract just like a contact to buy a car or condo. "People change" is not a valid reason to break the contract.
I do not see where you have justified denying people a divorce and you seem to not see love as a major component to a married good married life.
I presented a number of arguments which show that marriages would be stronger and stable in a no-divorce society. This would be particularly beneficial for children.

Your main counterargument is centered on a small number of abusive relations. And you don't show that divorce is an effective solution to abuse.

You know how the song goes : "if you can't be with the one you love, love the one you are with". :D
"Only the educated are free" - Epictetus
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy" -Beethoven
"Everyday life is the way" -Wumen
"Do not permit the events of your daily life to bind you, but never withdraw yourself from them" - Wumen
phyllo
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 10010
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:41 am
Location: Far away from the BS

Re: Should a good Christian overthrown God?

Postby Ultimate Philosophy 1001 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:41 pm

The solution to pedophile priests is to either buy him an attractive prostitute or cut off his balls.
God is dead.
User avatar
Ultimate Philosophy 1001
the Grandmother.
 
Posts: 8226
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:57 pm

Re: Should a good Christian overthrown God?

Postby Greatest I am » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:10 pm

phyllo wrote:
Can you give a couple of examples of what you mean?
I already did ... pedophilia, incest, adultery. Most people agree that restrictions on these "loving relationships" are moral. (They probably agree on restricting at least one if not all three.)
No they are not. A moral tenet stands on it's own.

Give an example again here.
Morality is a set of rules which enable a group of people to live together. That means that people agree to give up some things that they want in order to get something else as compensation. For example, many people would love to get "free stuff" by stealing it, but they understand that a society where theft is allowed would require violent defense of their own stuff. So they agree to give up the "free stuff" in order to get safety and stability.

If you look at any particular tenet, you see compromise ... for example, free speech does not permit you to say "hijack" in an airport or to yell "fire" in a theater.
You should take it by googling for yourself. Too often have I done another's leg work to have him ignore it because he did not like the source.
Why would I need to do "leg work" if you already know where the statistic comes from and you can just stick a link on the page??
You're the one trying to convince me of something by even stating the statistic. If you can't provide a reference, it makes me think that you could be mistaken about it or you just made it up.

Since you have been wrong about statistics before and since you cannot provide a reference, there is no reason to believe this statistic. I will just ignore it.
That is not a reason to force he to stay with the original abuser. She might get lucky the third time.

Yes but eventually he might find a wife with the balls to lay a charge and have the prick jailed.
Just because you can't get divorced in a no-divorce society does not mean that you have to live with an abuser ... people can separate and live in different areas. That's the same kind of "solution" as divorce offers. It's not really a solution at all. It passes the abuser on to someone else. It mirrors the solution that the Roman Catholic Church used when priests molested kids. They moved the priest to another parish. And he would molest kids there again. <- NOT A SOLUTION TO THE PROBLEM
?? There is nothing in marriage law that says people cannot divorce. Only religious dogma and law is that backwards.
Marriage is a contract just like a contact to buy a car or condo. "People change" is not a valid reason to break the contract.
I do not see where you have justified denying people a divorce and you seem to not see love as a major component to a married good married life.
I presented a number of arguments which show that marriages would be stronger and stable in a no-divorce society. This would be particularly beneficial for children.

Your main counterargument is centered on a small number of abusive relations. And you don't show that divorce is an effective solution to abuse.

You know how the song goes : "if you can't be with the one you love, love the one you are with". :D


Thanks for the chat my friend.

I learned what I wanted to learn in terms of bolstering of negating my position.

Love between people and love of life is what we should all be seeking and you have not given me any reason to change that view in terms of how restricting that search is somehow creating a greater good.

Life is too short to be miserable in a situation that is loveless.

Regards
DL
User avatar
Greatest I am
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1482
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:07 pm

Re: Should a good Christian overthrown God?

Postby phyllo » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:13 pm

Thanks for the chat my friend.

I learned what I wanted to learn in terms of bolstering of negating my position.
I'm glad that you learned something.
"Only the educated are free" - Epictetus
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy" -Beethoven
"Everyday life is the way" -Wumen
"Do not permit the events of your daily life to bind you, but never withdraw yourself from them" - Wumen
phyllo
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 10010
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:41 am
Location: Far away from the BS

Re: Should a good Christian overthrown God?

Postby phyllo » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:26 pm

I'm reminded of the Ashley Madison slogan :

"Life is short. Have an affair."

:D
"Only the educated are free" - Epictetus
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy" -Beethoven
"Everyday life is the way" -Wumen
"Do not permit the events of your daily life to bind you, but never withdraw yourself from them" - Wumen
phyllo
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 10010
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:41 am
Location: Far away from the BS

Re: Should a good Christian overthrown God?

Postby Greatest I am » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:29 pm

Ultimate Philosophy 1001 wrote:The solution to pedophile priests is to either buy him an attractive prostitute or cut off his balls.


I think their mental condition and desires would not be appeased by those.

Like rape, a large part of their mind set is control with the sexual part as a secondary component.

As to castration. That does not effect sexual performance but only inhibits reproduction as far as I know.

Regards
DL
User avatar
Greatest I am
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1482
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:07 pm

Re: Should a good Christian overthrown God?

Postby Greatest I am » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:34 pm

phyllo wrote:
Thanks for the chat my friend.

I learned what I wanted to learn in terms of bolstering of negating my position.
I'm glad that you learned something.


Confirmation of my view is ok but I learn and enjoy the experience of learning something new more, even if I actually lose a debate.

Learning something new or having my ideology improved is much more rewarding.

Regards
DL
User avatar
Greatest I am
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1482
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:07 pm

Re: Should a good Christian overthrown God?

Postby Jakob » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:57 pm

Do you want to overthrow the Christian God?


If so, re instal him first, dig him up from his grave, he might be smelly.
Image
For behold, all acts of love and pleasure are my rituals
User avatar
Jakob
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 5603
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:23 pm
Location: look at my suit

Re: Should a good Christian overthrown God?

Postby Ierrellus » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:49 pm

"Apokatastis", the reconciliation of all created things with the God who created them is an ancient Christian belief and IMHO the only view of a god whose morality surpasses that of humans. The god who offers heaven and hell as reward or punishment for what humans do is less moral than the humans this god judges. We do not merit an eternity of bliss, nor do we deserve an eternity of torture. We must see beyond the dualism of heaven and hell (see Wm. Blake's "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell") before we can follow the Tao that is Jesus, which is a moral path.
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 12291
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:52 pm
Location: state of evolving

Re: Should a good Christian overthrown God?

Postby Greatest I am » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:21 pm

Ierrellus wrote:"Apokatastis", the reconciliation of all created things with the God who created them is an ancient Christian belief and IMHO the only view of a god whose morality surpasses that of humans. The god who offers heaven and hell as reward or punishment for what humans do is less moral than the humans this god judges. We do not merit an eternity of bliss, nor do we deserve an eternity of torture. We must see beyond the dualism of heaven and hell (see Wm. Blake's "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell") before we can follow the Tao that is Jesus, which is a moral path.


Jesus has more than one morality as there are more than one Jesus who speaks out of scriptures.

The Rome created Jesus is not moral at all while the esoteric mystic is quite oral.

The Jesus you likely recognize, the Roman creation, promotes a no divorce policy for women and substitutionary atonement.

Both immoral concepts.

Care to engage and debate those immoral tenets?

Regards
DL
User avatar
Greatest I am
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1482
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:07 pm

Re: Should a good Christian overthrown God?

Postby AutSider » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:49 pm

There is no God to overthrow, retards.
User avatar
AutSider
BANNED
 
Posts: 3337
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:04 pm

Re: Should a good Christian overthrown God?

Postby Dan~ » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:55 am

Please don't do that.
Imagine if there were people at church, and you run in, open the door, and say "There is no god, retards!"

that is not how a civilized person would handle things.

If you want to make an argument about or against god, that is all well and good.
But this is supposed to be a philosophy forum, not a monkey house.
I like http://www.accuradio.com , internet radio.
https://dannerz.itch.io/ -- a new and minimal webside now hosting two of my free game projects.
User avatar
Dan~
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 9760
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:14 am
Location: May the loving spirit of papa hitler watch over and bless you all.

PreviousNext

Return to Religion and Spirituality



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Mr Reasonable