True Grit Philosophers ... Where are they?

I am here.

I’ll give you the true shit, but only if you deserve it.

It is time.

The time for war.

For ideas.

For the ur-gods.

Absolute grit. Earth-love.

Respect

I think what needs to happen first is that your usage of “true grit” needs to be defined . . .

From what I can determine and this is a copy and paste:

Being a gritty person means that the one tends to stick to their goals despite numerous issues, problems, setbacks and failures. The person has firmness of mind and unyielding courage. The synonyms of true grit are: fortitude. determination.
In this case there seems to be a few on ILP

:-k

[b]

[/b]

Aaron … your ‘warm’ post is appreciated.

Perhaps the ‘definition/intention’ will emerge from the comments … the words in the OP title just popped into my head.

First comment …

[b]

[/b]

somewhat cryptic … vision infers “intellect” … whereas feeling engages the “eyes of the heart”

[b]

[/b]

The word ‘grit’ at times has an “earthy” connotation … a down and dirty … get your hands dirty … kind of intention.

[b]

[/b]

Fortitude and determination are quite capable of leading one further and further down a dead end street.

[b]

[/b]

IMHO … lots and lots of “abstract” shared on ILP … not much personal experience in support of the abstract thoughts … absence of grit?

I could have been warmer about it but it was early in the morning for me.

:smiley:

A smile should fix it.

i am true grit.

if i was legally allowed to kill 20 people, i would do it and i wouldnt even cry.
message to police: this is not a thread, i will not kill 20 people, it is illegal and i dont want to go to prison. i only said if it was legal.

Aaron … read the words quoted below this morning … seem to echo our e-exchange … seem to embody a quasi universal reality?

[b]

[/b]

Where’d that quote come from? To add and to sum up, it’s easier to be cold than to be warm. When everyone’s cold most of the time, finding a warm spot will be frustrating, but why not take the more difficult route and become a spot of warmth rather than waiting to perchance upon it?

Wendy … thanks for adding some “warmth” to the OP.

The quote is from Ron … I subscribe to his spiritual commentaries.

A True Grit Philosopher is …

a) Intelligent … yet humble.

b) Down to earth … in both thoughts and deeds.

c) Determined … yet not obsessive.

d) Self confident enough to be “warm” … despite being mocked and persecuted.

e) Courageous enough to break new trails … yet not break the law.

f) Insert here

The grit of philosophy is that it is law giving.
Any so called philosophy that does not do that, destroy and set laws, is just masturbation.

True philosophy questions all the so-called laws.

Yes!!

Philosophers assumed full authority and responsibility for the health and welfare of the planet and all life forms inhabiting the planet with the genesis of the age of enlightenment … circa mid 17th century. Philosophers were compelled to share such authority and responsibility with theologians for the previous couple of millennia.

Authority and responsibility infers accountability.

Have philosophers ever been held accountable for their failings? Popular philosophers have certainly been glorified for their perceived successes.

Have any group of top leaders been held accountable for their failings? Popular leaders have certainly been glorified for their perceived successes.

…and don’t forget to close that window. :evilfun:

I wont forget, I promise . . .

:smiley:

PST

lol I suppose then that you might have called John Wayne a true grit philosopher though he is gone to that Death Valley.

I cannot recall any at the moment but I have a sneaky suspicion and intuition that some great philosophers did actually break the law.
How would one seek real wisdom and truth without having to defy and break unjust absurd laws of the times at times?
I do not go along with (e).

Do not promise. Just do it!
LOL

OK

:laughing: