Eating meat is good

I’m not against eating meat, but our anatomy suggests that our ideal diet is primarily plant-based. In any case I don’t expect us to grow out longer and sharper fangs and claws any time soon.

You could keep one as a pet, which you argue later gives them a higher value.

Not for you and not for some Chinese when evaluating dogs.

Most people do not present much value to me, but I don’t eat them and would refuse to. Am I confused?

It would be impossible to expand the spheres of our valuing to include the whole world, this is why we care more about people we know than people we do not know, and this is perfectly rational to do. It is simply a limit in how we are made, how valuing works. And consciousness is based on valuing. We actually are able to care about what/who we actually… care about. It’s basic stuff, but many people do not even understand this.

AGain most people are not valuable to you. Would you have only practical objects to nuking Madagascar?

Values are ordered into hierarchies. It is irrational to ignore a higher-order value for a lesser-order value. If cows were able to be valued by us on a higher level than as our meal, then we would value them like that. But they aren’t. So the fact that the cow is alive and doesn’t want to die and doesn’t want to suffer isn’t much relevant to us, even though we know those are highly relevant to the cow.

Me personally, I would get more out of a pet cow, if I had land, than a pet cat. The cows eat grass, are really quite friendly, are less selfish than cats, do not kill songbirds, do not cause allergies, do not carry parasites that cause a lot of neurological issues, often in people who never diagnose this and are more loyal. That’s me of course, but you are projecting what you value onto the pets you consider pets, following the culture you likely grew up in.

Given what you have said above you have facets of utilitarianism, because you universalize your values to include all individuals of categories.

UrGod has become obsessed with the word "value’. The negative influence of Fixed Cross. He also has this irrational disdain for analytic, positivistic and utilitarian philosophies.

I think you are slipping around the general point, that a cow does have value to the OP, be it as meat.
It does not follow from estimating a cow as valuable food, that a human who has no personal value, is also valuable as food.

Your preferences for cows over cats are generally due to what a cow does not do, and is not. People who actually have pets prefer the pet because of what it is, and does do. I thus think that you don’t actually mean what you say, wheres the OP clearly does.

I was going to reply, but yeah, that ^

Remember her as someone’s mother.

He distinguished the usual pets from cows as if they represented inherent values, they don’t.

It may have seemed that way, but no, I prefer cows because they are less solipsistic, less manipulative. Cats are users.

Sure. Though they could easily have cows as pets and surely some do.

I meant what I said and I think the OP needed, at the very least, some clarification.

I think the key question his valuing approach is the one I asked about Madagascar. I think it is easy to pretend one is not utilitarian nor a deontologist in abstract discussions of animals - for some anyway - but once you get down to issues like the one I brought up, I doubt he means what he says, though he likely very well does in relation to cows. I don’t think he has really thought it through. Or better put, felt it through.

eating meat is good, more nutritious than fruits and vegetables.
However I’ve decided to take a bit of a break from it, especially red meat.
I ate a lot of meat the last several years, and I think it’s kind of wearing my digestion down.
Still giong to eat some every other night, but smaller portions.

I eat meat also, but this above is a bit like saying push ups are better exercise than swimming.

Gloominary

Fruit and vegetables are actually more nutritious and need to be eaten everyday ~ a few servings of each every day.
Meat, to you, is more delicious. We do need it in our diets but only a few times a week.
A big bowl of fruit and/or vegetables have a lot less calories and no fat as opposed to a small piece of steak. Size is deceiving.

This looks like propaganda to me, here’s what chimp, our closest living relatives, mouths looks like:

They have large fangs, and molars, suggesting they’re omnivores like bears.

From google:

While humans have small fangs, we do have them.
Did our fangs become small because we started eating more fruits, vegetables and nuts than meat, or did they become small for other reasons, like our jaws becoming smaller and flatter, because we started using weapons to help us hunt, utensils to tear up carcasses, and fire to cook, and help tenderize carcasses?
I think the latter is the case, our jaws are smaller and flatter, and when you study our ancestors, tens of thousands of years ago, they had spears, knives, fire and they hunted, and so do primitive peoples today.
There isn’t a tribe on earth that doesn’t at least occasionally consume meat, in fact they’d die if they didn’t, because omnivores like us can’t get every nutrient we need from plants, and tribes frequently eat it whenever they have access to it.

Kek

Where do vegans get vitamin D, A, K2, and B12?

Hunting, cooking, and eating meat is what allowed the development of our brains and the amount of time humans have been eating meat probably explains why we’re reliant on meat for those vitamins.

FWD to 27:00

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2bOgwQ8_wg[/youtube]

Eating meat is good, that’s what she said… :sunglasses:

People who type things like this are spending too much time on the internet. Go outside man. Find a nice girl of another race and bang her.

Of another race? Where did you get that from? :-k

kek is a popular term among people who are racist, I think. So I was telling him to get out in the world and bang a black chick so he could see that it’s all pink on the inside or something like that. Metaphors man.

:laughing: You don’t know anything about beans then, mmkay.

Don’t be a racist, go and bang a black chick! The more you know! :laughing: Ridiculous nonsense.

Also among people who spend too much time on the internet. Like there are people out there in the world who think that it’s a special thing to know about the latest memes before other people know. Like internet hipsters, taking pride in some shit that no one in the outside world gives a shit about.

Noted, I’m so glad you’re here to educate us all on the world that I don’t know what this place would be like without you.

According to Mr. Reasonable, don’t be racist and bang a black chick. :sunglasses: He probably has started an entire school of philosophy which will eventually be called racial sexual ethics. :-& There’s a book in the waiting for you Mr. Reasonable as I can just see it now on the horizon.