Satan gave man love. Was it worth the hate?

You put Genesis chapter 1 and Genesis chapter 3. Chapters are not units of time.

Rape?

There was nothing written about that in Genesis. And if Adam was raping Eve then God would have straightened it out. Right?

So they really did not need knowledge of good and evil for procreation.

IMHO, the thread still lacks a credible definition of hate as applied to Adam’s and Eve’s awakening into consequences of behavior.

That is not what the story says. It says they could not because they lacked the knowledge of anything that had good or evil applications. That would include procreation and sexual matters.

You are putting the cart before the horse.

One cannot know what to order when there is no menu known.

Regards
DL

If I have to define well defined words from a dictionary then you show you cannot use a dictionary.

Regards
DL

That can’t be correct because it would prevent them from doing literally anything. They couldn’t pick up a stick because it might be used to hit someone or poke out an eye. They couldn’t use their hands because hands can be used to strangle someone. Feet … kicking someone. Etc.

If Adam can use his hands without doing harm then he can use his penis without doing harm.

Well said, and further they even seemed to find mere nakedness sinful, which is not evil.

Yes. Why would they be ashamed of their nakedness?

God had made them naked. He had no problem with it. They had no problem with it until they ate the fruit.

It’s like the fruit messed up their thinking.

Which would mean either apple did not contain just knowledge, but also some strange irrational stuff, OR being naked is equivalent in kind, though not degree, to acts like rape. Which would be weird.

The story almost seems to imply that it is not knowledge, but the judgment of things being good and evil is the problem. Like they swallowed a concept that is harmful and not the truth. But then much of the Bible seems to clearly indicate that there is good and evil, and thus it is not a false set of categories.

I see it as the introduction of dualistic thinking. Consciously separating things into this and that categories.

It’s inevitable and necessary but there are undesirable consequences.

“doomed to die” is the characterization of death as a negative and the consequence is fear of death.

Buddhist enlightenment is an attempt to shed dualistic thinking and to return to the garden

You are correct.

If no artistic leeway was permitted the scribes who made up this myth, it would never have been completed.

The broad theme is what is important and what I am focusing on.

Regards
DL

Would you go out in public naked and not want to hide your junk?

What makes you think A & E would not answer as you, I hope, did?

Regards
DL

I am not ashamed of my nakedness but would sure feel ashamed to be caught outside by anyone.

But hey, if that is your thing.

Regards
DL

Well, we’re not talking about you or me in modern day Canada. We’re talking about Adam and Eve feeling ashamed of their nakedness when viewed by God who had sanctioned their nakedness. Which makes no sense.

You’re putting forth a particular interpretation of the story. Let’s not forget it.

I don’t call it junk, but if me and my wife were the only humans, of course I would go outside, on warm enough days with no clothes on. It’s illegal in most places, so I don’t. I have done it where it is legal, gone skinny dipping. I have in other contexts. I never, ever worry about God or animals experiencing my body as sinful or shameful. And presumably God can see through clothes and further is not offended by what he created. Is it the trees they should have been ashamed in front of?

If I get undressed in a locker room, am I sinning because other people are changing also?

I actually think they would answer as I do, were they real individuals.

Under no definition of either love or hate in my dictionary is a mention of the Eden story.
I agree with Phyllo that this story is about dualism as a human perspective.
To see how this sense of dualism emerges in the human psyche, read the first chapter in the book of James KJV.

Sigh. Good manners and couth come from the tree of knowledge and you criticize A & E for having those good qualities.

You seem to think it couth to

youtube.com/watch?v=XWN65nAkk20 ------- in front of other.

Regards
DL

I find the shame and hatred of the human body to be strange. It’s not just in Christianity, it’s in a lot of religions and philosophies. Why is the mind-body dualism so appealing?

Absolutely. The original Jewish view as opposed to what the Christian usurpers used when the reversed the moral of the story.

Who has more authority of the myth? Originators or the usurpers who pulled the story apart and forgot all about Asherah and Lilith?

Regards
DL

If things worked well for God and as he said, they have become as gods, you might remember that god has cloths on and the right thing to do for A & E would be to emulate him.

Case closed.

Regards
DL