Do you Tetrachromacy?

I’m sorry Mags I sort of derailed your thread. Tetrachromacy is actually really interesting, as is anything to do with visual perception. Can you explain to me, in a way that I might understand, what the difference is between that and normal sight? Yes, I agree it’s a bit of a challenge.

Tetrachromats see over 9+ million more colours than those who aren’t tetrachromats, which enables the tetrachromat to see colours within the colour of an object (where others would only see that one colour) due to having an extra/4th cone that causes the phenomenon, which is caused by a genetic mutation… mainly in females.

Colours pop out at you, and sometimes swirl across the object, which is quite a psychedelic experience because of that. I have no idea what use it has in humans, but it has a mesmerising effect, as the mind seems to be taken up with translating this multitude of colour variation within the object.

Does this genetic mutation tend to come as a package with other genetic mutations and traits, as is so often the case? For all I know, I might even have it.

Maybe we will never know if I have the gene, unless I have kids, which at this rate seems increasingly unlikely.

Nice pity card, aren’t you a little young to give up on life already?

I haven’t given up on life and I don’t require anyone’s pity.

Tetrachromacy was common for mammals to have so that might explain why some humans retain it even if it serves no purpose
Given how it was generally common within the animal kingdom it may once have been a required function necessary for survival

Was the intensity of sunlight less relative to what it is now or was it as a consequence of a specific diet or is it something entirely random
It largely became extinct in humans which means that evolution did not require the characteristic to be replicated in any significant way

Would have be an advantage to predators seeking out prey whose defence mechanism was camouflage
Also to those able to differentiate between lethal and non lethal species who had very similar features

All I know, is that I see colours within a colour or surrounding an object.

Are you calling me a predator Surreptitious75? :laughing:

I’m not good with bright lights or sunlight… never have been, and wonder if this is part of the condition. Google says…?

There’s something to be said for arranged marriage here… not marriage by force, but more a match-making of sorts.

Some events companies hold mixers… disguised as networking drinks, but at least they make it easier to meet someone with the option to date.

Sounds a bit depressing to be honest.

Lol… I’ve been to some fun parties over the years, but I did go with friends, so that might be why… it might not have been so much, if I had gone alone.

You can’t meet anyone if you don’t go out… as they say.

I work most evenings, which can be a bit of a problem.

You could fit something in around your schedule… every time I’ve gone to go out lately, it’s rained, which dampened my mood to go out… literally lol.

I try. I’ve been to a number of festivals when I have time off, for example. Often camping, which I really enjoy.

You do not have to go out anymore to just meet someone because the whole world is at your fingertips
Now one cannot guarantee success but in terms of sheer quantity there has never been so much choice
Though eventually you need to meet someone in the flesh but just not straight away unless you want to

I’ve spoken to quite a lot of nutters online, so it’s definitely not my preferred option.

I am not sure that the odds on meeting fewer of them in real life are actually any more favourable
So you take a risk either way or else remain single forever but that is a decision only you can make

Better to find someone through a common network or social circle, then you may know a little about each other… at the very least, which is a better starting-point than not.

The only thing left is to hope ‘the feeling is mutual’ as there’s nothing worse than a one-sided attraction.

Meeting someone is the easy part, meeting someone you like… not so much.