Is 1 = 0.999... ? Really?

Note that the utilitarian perspective is irrelevant. The question is whether or not the two symbols represent one and the same quantity. That’s the subject of this thread, not what’s useful in practice.

cough I call bullshit!

Everything about math is what works in practice!

Edit: If they have different functions, they are not equal

Yes it was equally unnecessary for you to admit you’re not a mathematician, but it’s relevant since we’re talking about mathematics and it explains a lot.
I was being as unnecessary as you in letting you know that I am, and doing so was just as relevant for the same reason: that we’re talking about mathematics.

Even pointing out your double standards is lost on you, and even then you can only come back with something that’s only half true.

But this here is a straight up lie:

Just earlier you were saying this where you’re literally questioning why Ecmandu was using the “standard algorithm” to add numbers together. You admit that addition can’t add (0.\dot0{1}) to (9.\dot9) and conclude that this proves nothing about there being no difference between two representations of the same quantity (10), throwing addition itself into doubt rather than face the (already proven) possibility that you’ve been wrong this whole time. It’s not too late to do the right thing, by the way.

Insofar as A = ¬A is logic, sure: your non-mathematical intuitions are logical contradictions.
I’ve said many times that every single thing you’re saying is logically valid for finites only - but it’s not sound. Infinites are not finites, they’re the literal opposite - you’ve not once acknowledged this overwhelmingly simple but crucial and undeniable fact.

Yes, some of us are interested in what is logical rather than popular - including me and the professional mathematicians who agree with me.

I have no doubt that you’re interested in what’s logical too, but that doesn’t mean you’re as capable at attaining and/or accepting it - at least in the field that you admit isn’t your field. But over time even any such good intentions of yours have started to show signs of wavering since you’re doubling down so hard that you don’t seem to be able to even acknowledge the obvious truths that I keep correcting you with - lately you seem more concerned with pot-shots at me, fallacious argument and feeding your cognitive biases.

Professionals and I only hold the popular view because it is logical. Your fallacious argument here is to accuse me of “argumentum ad populam” and to apply the formal fallacy of “affirming the consequent” to it within the bounds of the informal fallacy of the “false dilemma”, by treating “logic” and “popularity” as mutually exclusive, and concluding that since an argument isn’t logical because it’s popular, my argument being popular therefore entails that I’m not interested in the logical.

It’s frustrating how you’re either unable or unwilling to see the degree to which I’m absolutely steamrolling you here to the point where the ease of doing so is becoming frustrating.

And “the utilitarian perspective” is absolutely relevant - if you knew anything about mathematics you’d know that its revolutions have been in large part due to the treatment of the mathematically invalid as valid. This is why the proven fact that (1 = 0.\dot9) is less interesting than the utilitarian possibility of treating the two representations of the same quantity as actually different quantities. The fact that in truth they’re the same is already a done deal: the jury has been out for a long time. JSS resurrecting it was just his contrarian ambition to make a difference in a world that apparently rejected him, and naturally a few amateurs were foolhardy enough to go along with it.

It’s Cantor’s construction of things like Epsilon numbers, somewhat implied by quantities like (0.\dot9) that seem to have made constructive ripples in the mathematical world, rather than (0.\dot9) itself being useful. (0.\dot9 = 1) is just a fun exercise for casual math enthusiasts, because it’s another confirmed example of the superficially seemingly unintuitive turning out to be true. The relatively mainstream intrigue that it has the potential to attract is the same as for optical illusions and magic tricks - for the mass uninitiated to make a noise about and then forget about. Epsilon numbers et al. are more rigorous but less easily penetrable, so as is always the case, the actually significant stuff goes over most people’s heads in favour of sophistry and the opportunity for amateurs to try to convince other amateurs that they’re smart.

Unfortunately while the best argument(s) win, they’re rarely accepted by most - this forum is a mass graveyard of examples of this.
As I explained to Magnus just above, professional mathematicians agreeing with me isn’t why I’m “doggedly” defending the correct answer. The correct answer is only popular because it’s logical, and the fact that it’s popular doesn’t make that the sole foundation of my defense - which reminds me of yet another fallacy to add to the list that others are trying use against me: “the fallacy of the single cause”. The best arguments have already won - it’s more a case of getting people to accept that they’re the best arguments even if they “like” the idea that they had the unappreciated intelligence all along to see a mistake in the work of experts.

And still can’t get it right. I’m impressed.

So you consider yourself a mathematician?
Mr Donald Trump considers himself a US President.
Your point?

What you appear to NOT be is an adequate logician for resolving questionable issues. Memorizing maths formulas does little in that regard and I’m sure actually diminishes the necessary talent.

And this is just why I don’t consider your opinion to be valid on whether I got some maths right.

This wishful thinking that “knowing the math” and “being able to resolve questionable issues” is some kind of trade-off is simply often not the case, to which the countless mathematical innovators at the very top levels can attest by virtue of their breakthrough accomplishments. In many cases, memorisation alone isn’t enough of course, but that isn’t enough to let you off the hook for not knowing/memorising maths formulas. Consider Terry Tao, “regarded by many people as the world’s greatest mathematician”, who will openly talk about how learning tricks and formulae makes all the difference when it comes to resolving questionable issues. That’s the reality, and it’s the Trumps of the mathematical world who merely think they can innovate where far greater minds have failed before, like you/JSS and Magnus are/were doing. I’m just relaying what the greater minds say, and I’m not saying I’m up there with them, just that I’m further up than the Dunning-Kruger effect will allow some people to accept.

Look, if you both really can’t accept that I’m right, forget I said anything at all and listen to all the many professional mathematicians who are saying the same thing. I’m not here, ok? I’m just a messenger. Listen to the people who are actually highly capable in this field, and by all means be skeptical of them to some constructive degree, but have the humility to accept that in all likelihood you don’t have what it takes to legitimately challenge the heights that high-level professionals are operating on. I’m sure some amateurs exist who actually can come out of nowhere to succeed in such a task, but in all probability that’s not you - as always: the more you learn about something, the more you appreciate just how out of your reach it actually probably is. It’s obvious to me that neither of you have been through that and come out the other side - on this topic whole topic at least - but like I said, don’t take my word for it. I might be a mathematician but I’m not a professional, so if you resent me for being straight with you, go straight to consulting the top instead of going through me.

Not really. There’s a big difference between the two.

I merely asked him what’s the purpose of talking about the standard algorithm of adding numbers together (which, by the way, is not the same as addition.)

First of all, I wasn’t talking about addition in general (a distinct concept), I was talking about the standard algorithm of adding numbers together. This isn’t the same as addition.

And I didn’t admit that one cannot use standard algorithm of addition to find the sum of (0.\dot0{1}) to (9.\dot9). I merely asked a hypothetical question.

There is a difference between the two numbers and there’s a super simple proof for it. If it’s the case that this proof is a real proof, which I firmly believe that it is, nothing else is relevant. Don’t think you’ve presented a single argument against it.

The word “finite” and the word “infinite” are opposites but the word “finite quantity” and the word “infinite quantity” have a lot in common given that both are quantities.

Not quite. Not when it comes to this subject.

There are no obvious arguments.

Not quite.

You have no clue what you’re talking about, so maybe you should just stop it and instead stick to the topic, what do you think?

Instead of talking about who you are and how many people agree with you, how about you show us the flaws in our arguments? But without pretending that you did. Whatever you did wasn’t enough. Accept it and either leave the thread or continue discussion.

Show people where they are wrong, don’t tell them that they are wrong. And if you can’t be bothered, because you estimated that it’d take too much effort, leave. Everything else is an expression of frustration with the fact that people aren’t agreeing with you (“Oh why can’t people accept what the Great Wise Man Silhouette has to say on the subject!?”) As if people are supposed to behave according to the expectations of the Great Wise Silhouette (or anyone else.)

Consider that, in practice, it might happen to be useful to be mistaken on this subject. I’m not saying that it is, but let’s assume that it is. What would be the correct answer to the question posed in the OP? Would you say (1 = 0.\dot9) or would you say (1 \neq 0.\dot9)? For (1 = 0.\dot9) is more useful in practice whereas (1 \neq 0.\dot9) is more logical. If the subject of this thread is what is useful, the correct answer would have to be (1 = 0.\dot9). But I’m insisting that’s not the subject of this thread. This thread is primarily about what is true.

:laughing: This is hilarious - you’re consulting “Math for Kids” as the source to share your level of knowledge!

You’re talking to someone who casually came up with their own original algorithm for addition (and other arithmetical operators) based on binary logical operators alone over 6 years ago.

The standard algorithm of adding numbers together is addition. I can’t believe I’m having to repeatedly state a tautology for you. That is, it’s a system of adding digits when numbers with more than 1 digit are involved. There’s other algorithms that do the same thing, such as the one I invented myself - and guess what. They’re all addition! #-o

You keep insisting that my explanations are merely “telling you” rather than “showing you”, and here you are simply making claims without explanation:

Mere claims. No explanation. Right there in front of us.

By contrast, you even quoted one of my explanations on the last page.

So opposites have a lot in common when they qualify the same concept.
“They have in common” the concept that they’re qualifying only, opposites don’t suddenly have a lot in common just because they’re referring to the same thing.
“A and ¬A have a lot in common because ∃(A ⊂ B) ∧ ∃(¬A ⊂ B)”… :confused:
^this is an explanation of your logical error that you’ll proceed to deny exists.

1. Argumentum ad populam: a fallacious argument that concludes that a proposition must be true because many or most people believe it.
  2. affirming the consequent: a formal fallacy of taking a true conditional statement invalidly inferring its converse even though the converse may not be true.
  3. False Dilemma: a type of informal fallacy in which something is falsely claimed to be an “either/or” situation, when in fact there is at least one additional option.

You said: “Perhaps because some of us are interested in what is logical rather than what is popular?”
Let:
(P) denote “popular”
(Q) denote “logical”
In the above quote of yours you imply that I commit 1): (P\rightarrow{Q})
“Logical rather than what is popular” takes the form of 3): (P\lor{Q}, Q\vdash\lnot{P})
Combining 3) with a rejection of 1) takes the form of 2): ((\lnot(P\rightarrow{Q}),Q)\vdash\lnot{P})

Quite obviously I know what I’m talking about, so maybe you should just stop insisting I don’t, what do you think?
I keep showing you the flaws in your arguments, but it’s never enough, nor does it even count as showing apparently, just “telling”. This fallacy that you’re commiting is called Moving the goalposts such that no amount of explanation that I offer ever counts as explanation.
I expect people to respond to my clear logic, and of course I get frustrated when you keep just coming back with “nah, didn’t happen, you just don’t understand”. I expect people to exhibit cognitive biases and to encounter the backfire effect, but what I’m encountering here just seems like complete and utter dumbness.

Stubborn as a mule.

That’s correct.

When we say “The number of people on planet A is less than the number of people on planet B” it does not mean that we can “finish counting” the number of people on either planet.

I’ve demonstrated this before. If you have a planet populated by an infinite number of organism, and you remove one organism from it, you’d have fewer organisms, even though you can never “finish counting” the number of organism on that planet.

By definition, if you have a bunch of things in one place (regardless of their number) and you subtract one thing, you get a smaller number of things. To say otherwise is to say that you didn’t really perform the operation of subtraction, which is a logical contradiction.

Not quite.

You’d get confusion.

This thread is about concepts.

Yes, really.

Why are infinite quantities not quantities?

Your (n) is a symbol representing an unknown. (1cm) is not representing an unknown. You’re comparing a known value ((1cm)) to an unknown number ((n)) of gwackometers.

Not sure why any of this is relevant, to be honest.

Of course I do.

I am “on my own”. That’s a good argument.

Because Gib says so. Again, no arguments whatsoever. You are merely declaring that infinite quantity isn’t really a quantity.

I am certainly not saying that the reason (\infty) represents quantity is because you can plug it into a mathematical equation.

That would be your misunderstanding.

I am saying that every unit can be represented as a number of other, smaller, units. For example, (m) can be represented as (100cm).

I don’t have to treat it like a unit and I don’t. I’m simply saying that you can, if you want to.

By following a rule that says that all numbers used in an expression represent a quantity of the same unit. So instead of writing something like (3cm + 10cm = 13cm) you can simply write (3 + 10 = 13) because every number in the equation represents a number of units of the same kind (centimeters.)

That’s true. But how is that relevant?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carry_(arithmetic

That’s a Wikipedia article (not a “Math for Kids” website) describing a very specific way to find the sum of two quantities. It’s definitely not the only way. You can add “6” and “7” together by placing six apples and seven oranges in front of yourself and then counting all of them. That’s not the same as the above.

Addition is a much more general concept, and saying that I’m talking about addition in general is not the same as saying that I’m talking about some specific algorithm for adding numbers. I did not the do the former, I did the latter.

Yes, and it’s wrong, and I explained why, even though it’s unnecessary. (One doesn’t have to prove more than it’s necessary.)

They don’t and I never said that.

Correct. We’re talking about infinite quantities, not the word “infinite” in general. The word “infinite” is not a quantity per se. Neither is “finite”.

This is one of the most pointless things you can say in a forum discussion.

You have to understand that this isn’t the subject of this thread.

Frustration isn’t something to be proud of.

I really just wanted to come in and stomp all over the twee debate and polite conversation being had. There’s a report button at the top of this post, if you click on it someone will come to the aid of the twit.

I’m going to get back to the .9…/1 part, I made a mental note in my head when I read the apple thing, that infinite apples would have infinite weight, this is really a physics argument. Each member being part of the whole set would have infinite weight as well, making it physically impossible to remove an apple in the first place.

It’s just a mental note, not completely thought through, but I thought you guys might find it interesting.

It’s not a physics argument. It does not matter what’s physically possible or impossible. This discussion is entirely about concepts.

An infinite number of apples can have any weight whatsoever. If each one of the infinitely many apples weighed exactly one infinitesimal kilos, then the apples as a whole would weigh exactly 1 kilo.

Not really. So there’s two philosophies to this as far as I can see.

Let’s say you count a trillion apples through, and you stop and count again. The first trillion apples would be outweighed by the rest of the set. Ones finite, ones infinite.

Now let’s think about this in terms of infinitely regressive sets - they’ll have the same weight.

Like I said! These are just notes!

So, thinking about infinitely regressive sets further…

If you only count the first 9 in 9/10ths… the rest of the infinite sequence combined should also add up to 9/10ths.

So there’s two ways you can look at it 9/10ths equals 9/10ths, or they are different 9/10ths.

If they are different 9/10ths, then adding them gives you 18/10ths, which I’m sure you’re not trying to argue!

So… when I consider the variables here, I definitely side on them being equal but not separate as additive properties.

I hope you and sil can understand that!

Yeah!

Oh, you guys are going to love this!

So, I was using my notes in the last two posts, and I realized a contradiction in convergence theory:

Get this!

So you have a number like 0.9… that converges to the number 1!

Here’s the deal. 0.09… is converging to 1 as well.
Meaning: 0.199… 0.009… is converging to 1 as well…

Meaning 0.01999…

What this means is that you end up with the “infinitesimal” before the 9’s necessarily have to start.

This means that as you count through the convergence, you either have infinitesimal 1 before the 9’s or you have the 9’s equaling 1.111…

Dammit! Ok, this is really important !!!

For 0.9… to equal 1, the solution is 3.1…!!!

Like I said before…

0.9… =1

That means that 0.01999… equals 0.2999…

0.2999… equals 3.1111…

I’m getting there! Let me work through this process!

If 1=0.9…

Then 0.009… = 0.01

Which means that 0.9… equals 1.1…

When you add those up,

You get 2.000…

That’s it!

That’s the disproof!

So what I’m trying to explain here, is that in the proof that 0.999… equals 1; ALL nines repeating always equal 1, which is why I say that the solution to 0.999 actually equals, not just 1, but 1.111… (unless you have an infinitesimal which is impossible (the one never gets expressed)

As I stated earlier, when you carry from the right to left, that makes 0.999… equal 2, with no infinitesimal to flip the 9’s, you’re still left with 1.999… which equals 2.

You want to get at the truth?

Work with me here.

I know I’m close.

Because an infinitesimal is impossible, you have to carry from left to right.

This causes all the 9’s to eventually be 1’s… which not equal to 1 but is equal to 1.1…

1.1… + .999… = 2