What films are you watching right now?

youtu.be/er4ab2RzaEo

richard ‘the iceman’ kuklinski

youtu.be/hxxs7mPQquo

36:40. Undercover agent wearing a wire talks with Richey about taking contracts. Tells the story of Richey once poisoning the hit’s hamburger with cyanide. The guy comes out and starts eating the burger. Richey waits. Any second now. But the guy keeps on eating the fuckin thing and doesn’t die. Lol.

Post by MagsJ » Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:03 am

Just finished watching The Heist, and having seen it before, it was even more entertaining the Nth time around - this post was from 15th December, but the pedant in me migrated it to here.

293B6E0C-3EEB-48A6-B8A5-84A766EDD9BD.jpegThe Maiden Heist
2009 ‧ Heist/Comedy ‧ 1h 30m

Play trailer on YouTube

When museum security guards Charles, Roger and George learn that the authorities have sold some of the exhibits, they decide to steal their favourite artwork and replace it with a forged replica.

Initial release: 29 May 2009
Director: Peter Hewitt
Initial DVD release: 27 October 2009
Producers: Morgan Freeman, William H. Macy, Peter Hewitt, Lori McCreary, Bob Yari, Rob Paris
Production companies: Revelations Entertainment, Dog Pond Productions

^^^ hahaha go to 1:06:27. He teams up with an ex army demolitions expert who works a day job as an ice cream vendor. They call him ‘mr.softy’ after the ice cream truck.

Oh no! 1:09:30. Richey whadaya dooin?

Next hit. Gay disco bar. Richey’s gotta get in there… so what does he do… he buys a canary yellow sweater, bright pants and elevated shoes.

Viewed this film about two weeks ago. I might have seen it before as it seemed familiar, but I cannot recall if I did, but it has to be the funniest film ever, as I couldn’t stop laughing from beginning to end, so 10 out of 10 for humour. :smiley:

B904DBFA-4F16-4431-B186-C6865209798C.jpegThe Watch
2012 ‧ Action/Comedy ‧ 1h 42m

Play trailer on YouTube

After his store’s watchman is murdered, Evan along with his neighbours forms a neighbourhood watch. They soon realise that the murderer is not a human, but an alien.

Initial release: 27 July 2012 (Canada)
Director: Akiva Schaffer
Box office: 68.3 million USD
Budget: 68 million USD
Screenplay: Seth Rogen, Evan Goldberg, Jared Stern

Viewed this film last week… an enjoyable watch, that takes you on a journey of survival in a futuristic landscape, by stark barbaric means, and often unnecessarily so…

8CD10CD2-572D-46DD-85A4-9858C1DAE2E3.jpegRiddick
2013 ‧ Thriller/Action ‧ 1h 59m

Play trailer on YouTube

Riddick finds himself on a sun-scorched planet and tries hard to fight for survival. He stands up against a race of alien predators, more lethal than any human race he has ever encountered.

Release date: 4 September 2013 (United Kingdom)
Director: David Twohy
Box office: 98.3 million USD
Budget: 38 million USD
Film series: The Chronicles of Riddick

Richey gets schooled by Dr. Deitz at the end of the documentary/interview. Well done doc, and spot on.

youtu.be/S-4nzmdYQTA

A new hobby of yours Prom… real life horrors?

I have a couple more film reviews to upload, so don’t mind me. :wink:

Mm-hm. I am irresistably drawn to everything strange, forbidden and terrifying.

And Rich was something very special in that regard and quite the enigma in many ways. Especially interesting was his absolute devotion to and affection for his wife and daughters. There’s a magnificent if paradoxical reversal of what is expected in a sociopath from an abusive family. I could go on all night about the klinsk… little nuances about this guy everywhere that really put him into an atypical category. Suffice it to say he wasn’t a bad dude. Rather he was a different, much more rare kind of good guy. An unordinary ‘good’ that requires an unconventional understanding of human nature and psychology. But I digress. Got more videos to watch. I’m on a binge tonight.

A slow beginning, so became background noise, but over halfway through, the pace picked up, and the viewing… riveting, those scenes from there on in, being a sight to behold.

DCD5052E-98C6-40E0-A375-23A9B3AAD8D0.jpegAssassin’s Creed
12A 2016 ‧ Fantasy/Sci-fi ‧ 2h 20m

Play trailer on YouTube

With the help of technology, Callum learns that he is a descendant of a society of Assassins. He travels back in time to learn about his ancestor and acquire skills to defeat an evil organisation.

Release date: 1 January 2017 (United Kingdom)
Director: Justin Kurzel
Film series: Assassin’s Creed
Box office: 240.7 million USD
Budget: 125 million USD

Having seen this film many times over the decades, it’s kitsch cinematic style and filmography never fail to entertain… from the costumes to the acting, it’s all big-n-bold and full of beautiful people.

E494114B-09E0-46CB-83C2-B69656F2928C.jpegFlash Gordon
1980 ‧ Fantasy/Sci-fi ‧ 1h 54m

Play trailer on YouTube

Flash and Dale are skyjacked aboard Dr. Zarkov’s rocket ship. The trio are drawn into the influence of the planet Mongo, controlled by Ming, who has been testing the Earth with unnatural disasters.

Release date: 10 December 1980 (United Kingdom)
Director: Mike Hodges
Featured song: Flash
Budget: 35 million USD
Screenplay: Lorenzo Semple Jr.

Watched “Kung-fu Hustle” last night with my son, probably the best martial arts film ever made. Very funny.

A must watch… reminiscent of a film-version of ILP on a bad day. The exchanges got rude and crude, but were oh so funny.

CA990B28-7689-4784-8779-5F33EDF6E8F6.jpegSpy
15 2015 ‧ Crime/Action ‧ 2h 10m

Play trailer on YouTube

Despite having solid field training, CIA analyst Susan Cooper (Melissa McCarthy) has spent her entire career as a desk jockey, working hand-in-hand with dashing agent Bradley Fine (Jude Law). Using high-tech equipment and a hidden earpiece, Susan is the guardian angel who helps Bradley avoid danger. However, when Bradley is assassinated by Bulgarian arms dealer Rayna Boyanov (Rose Byrne), Susan wrangles her way into her first undercover assignment to help capture Boyanov and avenge Bradley.

Release date: 23 May 2015 (United Kingdom)
Director: Paul Feig
Featured song: Who Can You Trust
Box office: 235.7 million USD
Screenplay: Paul Feig

Parasite

parasite1.jpg
The Lighthouse

Both are outstanding, but excel in different ways. No spoilers, here. Parasite is about current times and is masterfully calculated and structured. The Lighthouse takes you to another time and which you’ll also probably need subtitles for. The Lighthouse is a more experiential and cinematically beautiful experience. If I had a critique of Parasite it would be that, while clearly skillfully composed, it is a bit too forced perhaps undermining its point. For The Lighthouse, it’s the opposite - I’m not sure that I totally get it - but it captures something so intriguing that it is the one I’m likely to watch multiple times.

you know interracial paring in the media is still a fairly new thing so it’s going to strike most of us as odd and some of us as unsettling. but i’ll tell you what. i just watched this movie, and the last thing on my mind was what color they were. and why was that? because what transpired between these two people was so extraordinary that all i was able to see was how human they were. perhaps that’s what it takes to imagine getting beyond the racial divide; extraordinary things that bring out the human spirit and make things like ‘race’ an insignificant triviality in light of them. problem is, real life is not made of such extraordinary things, and when they do occur, it’s always an exception. but the point remains and you only need to see it once, if even in a hollywood movie. there are circumstances that, if brought about, make people of any race equally human if and when some struggle demands it. and that’s why racism still exists today; because those folks haven’t been given an opportunity to experience extraordinary circumstances in which someone’s ‘race’ would be the least of their worries. life is too easy. that’s why the races are still fighting.

anyhow, this was a great movie and i’m gonna ruin it for you. so these two are on a plane over the mountains and the sonofabitch crashes in the middle of nowhere. now they gotta fight to survive. and what happens when two people fight to survive together? they fuckin bond, that’s what they do. they fuckin bond like no bonding you’ll ever do unless you go through the same shit. and when they get back to the world, that ‘everyday life’ they used to have don’t mean nothin no more. i mean you can’t just walk away from someone you almost died with, someone who saved your life, after saying ‘okay that was pretty intense. well, take care now, bye-bye then.’ no. that’s not how it works in extraordinary circumstances. you’re gonna hunker down with that person for the rest of your life, and what color you happen to be means fuck all.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mu41hu1a_8c[/youtube]

The Bad Batch

The best dystopian thriller I’ve seen in a minute. Being a Jim Carey fan I remember making a mental note to see it when it came out, after watching the trailer. But I totally forgot about it like six months ago. Just tonight I happened upon it at a Redbox rental… but I didn’t know it was that movie because Carey wasn’t on the cover picture. A few minutes into it I see Carey pushing the shopping cart through the desert and I’m like ‘holy shit that’s that movie I wanted to see!’ luck of the draw man.

I clicked on the link to the trailer, but it turned out not to be the trailer but the film, so I watched the film as dawn broke… with a power nap here and there in-between.

I saw the moral to this story straight away… stay away from god damn deserts, where communities that look like they belong in the circus reside, and the only good thing about deserts, are desert raves… only make sure you’ve got a ride home afterwards, or you’ll end up limbless where they’ll be thrown on an open grill to keep the circus-freak community on swole with free protein courtesy of your limbs.

Now why couldn’t they just keep chickens or goats or something. :confusion-scratchheadyellow:

Carey was totally unrecognisable to the end, and was that Keanu Reeves as the polygamistic multi-impregnating cult-leading Svengali? God truly was, their DJ.

Sort of. So those of the bad batch are society’s undesirables, and instead of being incarcerated, they get exiled beyond the border of Texas to a lawless wasteland. You got that much.

There’s two opposing groups in the movie. The rogue cannibals and the citizens of ‘Comfort’, who aren’t cannibals. They grow gardens and eat rabbits instead of each other. Comfort is protected and fortified by armed guards who keep the rogue cannibals out. Reeves, who’s obviously modeled off of the Jones cult guy from Jonestown, is the leader of Comfort… and they love him because he gives them plumbing and drugs. And Carey is a hermit not part of either group. So that’s the basic outline of the movie.

Their motto should be… cannibalise or be cannibalised. Maintaining those physiques obviously takes a lot of protein, huh.

I also got that Prom, but I didn’t like or care for either community… be a cannibal or be impregnated by Comfort’s Dream, where he really will comfort you… if you’re of child-bearing age and not averse to being part of a harem and brushing hair.

Comfort, is preferable, in the survival stakes, and the only moral choice out of the two… but, tbh, when she woke up in chains, I thought they were gonna have their way with her… I never saw that storyline coming. :open_mouth: