Corona Virus Outbreak from Turd

Switched from cigarettes to vaping about 3-4 years ago, done wonders for my lung capacity.

Lol, was thinking about buying a Huawei phome too. :smiley:

The list of serious side issues continues to follow the predictable pattern. Three U.S. airlines have suspended all flights in or out of China. We haven’t heard from Fed X or UPS on cargo flights but it won’t be long… The flow of Chinese container ships will soon slow to a trickle and worldwide manufacturing will begin to slow down because it may say “made In _____” but a lot of the parts are made in China. Initial testing indicates that the virus can survive for at least 14 days on impermiable surfaces. Make that three weeks just to be safe.Sequestering anything made in China for three weeks isn’t the end of the world, but it will put a good sized dent in international commerce.

On the medical side, doctors and hospitals say they are not receiving needed quantities of supplies to combat the virus. The Chinese government is doing as much as they can, but no country is equipped to supply all the masks needed fora few billion people.

Even though influenza is killing more people, the scary part of this is the 14 days a well-meaning person can infect hundreds of others before showing symptoms themselves. I’m not sure I buy into all the panic crap pushed by the media, but even a cursory reading of the progress of this virus suggests we’re in for some interesting times

Just to note that if anyone is interested in exploring a cinematic take on this sort of thing, check out the film Contagion: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=179469&p=2328114&hilit=contagion+directed+by#p2328114

Trailer: youtu.be/4sYSyuuLk5g

What I focus on [of course] is the manner in which our understanding of ourselves in the world around us can change dramatically when the world itself changes dramatically. The role that dasein plays.

That and the reality of political economy.

Major US news outlets have been quiet about what is happening in the US the last few days. No updates about the 12 confirmed cases, no mention of a cruise ship that disembarked infected foreign nationals against Trump’s travel ban in New Jersey yesterday, and no updates on all the other US citizens on US soil who had been tested for the virus. Not a good sign.

are you saying this could be the one, wendy? well tell joker to be ready and keep an open channel for me to communicate with him. if the shit goes down, we’re going book of eli.

I think in most cases, including this one, viruses are mere symptoms of disease, rather than the cause of disease themselves.
I don’t think this Chinese disease will affect us as much as them, and its affect on them has been greatly exaggerated.
The real disease in China isn’t so much the corona virus, as the destitution, squalor, impoverishment and malnourishment of its people, which kills many of them off with or without this or another virus.

They’ve got bad government, and bad habits.
They expose their bodies to too many germs from too many different animals, more than many of them can cope with.
They eat a lot of bad meat, not fresh, and not kosher/halal at all.
They eat a lot of junk food, and there’s a lot of chemicals in their food, air and water.
They’re also overcrowded and unhygienic.
They’re overworked and overstressed.
They stick pins in themselves, and engage in other bizarre ‘medical’ practices.
They’re plagued by superstition, ancestral spirits and odd gods.
They live in constant fear of offending big brother.

All of these things make the body sick, and then viruses prey on sickly bodies, making them all the more sick.
It’s like with Ebola, Ebola never caught on here, because we’re too strong for it.

Two atheists pretending to be blind (that’s a stretch) and willing to recite the Bible word for word? Hahaha! You two got this! :laughing:

Did I miss some news today about what is happening regarding the coronavirus in the United States?

Canada gave an updated tally of 5 cases not too long ago.

There has been one documented death of an American with another 10 cases reported on the quarantined cruise ships. It really doesn’t make any difference the “body” count since any number is already 14 days behind the actual situation. That is the scary part of this virus. You can be an un-witting carrier and it can take up to 14 days before you begin to show disease symptoms. How many people could you be in contact with in a 14 day period? The logistics of trying to identify all potential carriers is beyond the capability of ANY agencies. Look at WHO. They haven’t a clue and neither does anyone else.

So far, the only thing we know for sure is that the virus likes heat and humidity. The U.S. will see less contagion only because we are currently in winter conditions. But if this drags into the summer months then the southern states can expect much higher rates of contagion than further north.

This virus has already killed more people than the SARS virus and we have no idea when it will evolve into a less virulent form. At this point, all we have is quarantine for an answer. It may be helping but at a tremendous cost to all economies let alone the personal disruption of so many lives. Everyone is scrambling and trying to find solutions, but they are in a dark room with no light switch.

A side note: Recent ice cores removed from a Tibetan glacier found 30+ different virus forms of which 28 had never been seen by science. Almost all are probably neutral, but could one of them be the virus that takes us out? WARNING. Global warming may be hazardous to your health.

Quick update: Reuters reports 60 new cases on the Princess cruise ship, saying the total is now 160 confirmed cases. Our favorite source of news (FOX) reports 130 new cases. Even the news outlets can’t keep up with reporting the “latest”.

The best guess at this time is over 900 dead in around 40,000 confirmed cases. That’s pretty close to a 1 in 4 kill rate, not the 1 in 130 rate quoted a week or two ago.

Britain has declared an “imminent danger” and you can see that governments are setting up excuses for further quarantines.

Of course, you can ignore this post since the numbers will (or have) changed as I posted.

There should be further quarantines, so no excuses necessary… should have been implemented much sooner/from the beginning, then lives would have been saved, not lost.

The loss of life is indeed a concern, but are you factoring in the economic and social upheaval brought about by quarantines? How much psychological damage is done when you are essentially shunned by society? A potential pandemic disease isn’t really the problem. It is the consequences that follow the disease that are the societal issues. At what point is quarantine worse than the disease itself? There may not be a convenient answer, but awareness of the negative consequences of quarantine need to be examined before such decisions to quarantine be implemented. Simplistic answers may suit politicians, but the complexity of the situation may not match those answers.

:laughing:

You people are hilarious.
Time to get your aluminum and genetically modified fetal tissue laden corona vaccinations then.
Remember big gov and pharma love you.
It’s funny how you guys think the confirmed cases are the only cases.
There’s probably millions of unconfirmed, because this virus has little-no effect on most people.

Current status is reported here :
who.int/emergencies/disease … n-reports/

Do you have some inside info that allows your bold statements? How do you know “millions of unconfirmed” cases? What is your expertise that allows your conclusions? Or, is this unsubstantiated opinion? On what basis should we assign credibility to your statements?

nytimes.com/2020/02/10/opin … e=Homepage

Unless, coming from the Times, you want to call this liberal propaganda.

You do realise that we have to sign-in to read the NYT? No thanks.

That article is readable without signing in.

I agree with Antithesis on the one hand there are buttloads of unreported cases of the virus since China is overwhelmed without staff, supplies, and beds for many, many people. On the other hand, there may be many people turned away from medical treatment since China’s system is overwhelmed who went home and eventually died. Let’s guesstimate 1.5 million infected and 50,000 deaths which would explain why China’s crematoriums are running non-stop.

Incorrect Phyllo. If I didn’t have to sign in with an email address, facebook, or google, then I’d be reading the article.