Post your favorite quotes and expressions here

“The nature of the struggle is defined by the oppressor”.

^ If you change your perception, your reality may change.
Me and whoever else may have said it.

I love this quote - it’s on the bottom of a snow wolf picture I have on my living room wall -

If all the beasts were gone, men would die from a great loneliness of spirit, for whatever happens to the beasts also happens to the man. All things are connected.
—Chief Seattle

One glance at a book and you hear the voice of another person, perhaps someone dead for 1,000 years. To read is to voyage through time.”
― Carl Sagan

shivers

“For if there is a sin against life, it consists perhaps not so much in despairing of life as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this life.”

Albert Camus.

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It’s simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.”
― Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“To make a contented slave,’ [Frederick] Bailey later wrote, ‘it is necessary to make a thoughtless one. It is necessary to darken his moral and mental vision, and, as far as possible, to annihilate the power of reason.’ This is why the slaveholders must control what slaves hear and see and think. This is why reading and critical thinking are dangerous, indeed subversive, in an unjust society.”
― Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Love one another but make not a bond of love.
Let it rather be a moving sea
between the shores of your souls.

• Khalil Gibran

Write your Sad times in Sand,
Write your Good times in Stone.

• George Bernard Shaw

Any fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius-and a lot of courage-to move in the opposite direction.
Albert Einstein

First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do.
Epictetus

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near. (VS, c.19)
Viking quote

Anybody who offends a more powerful man can hardly expect to wear out many more new shirts :laughing:
Viking quote

Do not expect to make headway with a frail sailcloth.

One should warn even a dim-witted troll if he sits naked by a fire

“I am the totem of the Earth, the Phallus raised to pierce the sky; - this is the altar of the stars. But they are mere flowers of the garden; harvest them and adorn thyself.
Tear at the void and the lights therein; feast on infinities.”

• Crowley

“The enemies of living life; outdated little liberals, afraid of their own independence; lackeys of thought, enemies of the person and freedom, decrepit preachers of carrion and rot! What do they have: gray heads, the golden mean, the most abject and philistine giftlessness, envious equality, equality without personal dignity, equality as understood by a lackey or a Frenchman of the year ninety-three…And scoundrells, above all, scoundrels, scoundrels everywhere!”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky (Demons)

It is better to stand and fight. If you run, you’ll only die tired.
Viking quote

I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness because it shows me the stars.”
Og Mandino

„Ich bin ein Teil von jener Kraft, // Die stets das Böse will und stets das Gute schafft. // … Ich bin der Geist, der stets verneint! // Und das mit Recht; denn alles, was entsteht, // ist wert, daß es zugrunde geht; // Drum besser wärs, daß nichts entstünde. // So ist denn alles, was ihr Sünde, // Zerstörung, kurz das Böse nennt, // Mein eigentliches Element.“ - Johann Wolfgang (von) Goethe, Faust (I), 1790 / 1808, S. 64-67. **
Translation:
„I am Part of that Power which would // The Evil ever do, and ever does the Good. // … I am the Spirit that denies! // And rightly too; for all that doth begin // Should rightly to destruction run; // 'Twere better then that nothing were begun. // Thus everything that you call Sin, // Destruction - in a word, as Evil represent- // That is my own, real element. “ - Johann Wolfgang (von) Goethe, Faust (I), 1790 / 1808, p. 64-67.

Who is the smiling one?

moi. Have you made arrangements for your head once you have been decapitated?

“We must love one another or die”. W. H. Auden, “Sept. 1939”. Written on the eve of WWII, the poem states the last, best choice for human survival.

duplicate post

Who would want to harm a loving man like myself?

The world would miss me way too much.

YOU. If you keep your head out the window like that, people might come to think - "Okay then. He’s asking for it. :laughing:

Perception means lot you know.