Is Christianity much different from Judaism and Islam?

For intuitive and critical discussions, from spirituality to theological doctrines. Fair warning: because the subject matter is personal, moderation is strict.

Moderator: Dan~

Is Christianity much different from Judaism and Islam?

Yes.
8
53%
No.
6
40%
I don't know.
1
7%
 
Total votes : 15

Re: Is Christianity much different from Judaism and Islam?

Postby felix dakat » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:45 am

A Shieldmaiden wrote:Paul writes, "And every woman who prays or prophecies with her head uncovered dishonors herself. ... And if a woman does not cover her head, she should have her hair cut off. And it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut or shaved off. She should cover her head."

The Scriptures say that in the mouth of two or three witnesses, let something be established. I think this is the only place in the Scriptures where it talks about this particular issue. Paul is insisting women, who pray in the church in public prayer do so with their heads covered. Is this a tradition or something women must do today. If this was a tradition, Paul was asking women to honor that tradition out of respect.

In the Middle East some Islamic women dress similar to Biblical times. In the days of the Roman Empire, a woman would cover her head, (they covered only their hair and did not veil their faces) because it was one way to avoid being thought a prostitute, who would go around with their heads uncovered as part of their dress.....and Paul here is just speaking of covering the hair.

It also states in 1 Corinthians 11 7-9

For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man. For the man is not of the woman; but the woman of the man. Neither was the man created for the woman; but rthe woman for the man. 1 Corinthians 11:7–9.)


Not sure what your point is. The latter verse clearly implies women are subordinate to men, a belief shared by traditional Jews and Muslims.

Another New Testament book, Ephesians expands on the idea in chapter 5:

22 Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. 23 For the husband is head of the wife, as also Christ is head of the church; and He is the Savior of the body. 24 Therefore, just as the church is subject to Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in everything.


There is some evidence that goes against this trend. For example Galatians 3:28 which reads:

There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male and female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus.


Paul may be quoting a baptismal formula that he learned in the diaspora churches. This suggests that egalitarianism was already being practiced in the earliest Christian gatherings when Paul joined. Or, it seems to me, at least it was the ideal they sought, as opposed to general norm of male superiority that predominated in first century Mediterranean culture.

The formula doesn't keep perfect symmetry by saying "man or woman" since it's a quotation from Genesis "man and woman he created them" (1:27). In other words: "There is no more man and woman as originally divided since they are now united in Christ."

Thus, the early gatherings of Jesus followers may have been the among most egalitarian groups of their day. But, if so, there has been a concerted effort over the centuries to hide or diminish this fact in favor of patriarchy not unlike that of the other major monotheistic religions.

User avatar
felix dakat
Janitor
 
Posts: 8229
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:20 am
Location: east of eden

Re: Is Christianity much different from Judaism and Islam?

Postby felix dakat » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:01 pm

Karpel Tunnel wrote:
felix dakat wrote:I thought comparing the Easter bonnet to the burka would be amusing as well as instructive. But when religion and God are taken literally, it has a way of taking all the fun out of it. Oh well. :confusion-shrug:
Well, I did learn about the differences between men and women's head coverings, the reason for them, in Christianity. So that was instructive. I didn't realize it was meant to be amusing, I might have just let it go.

Everyone is taking something literally, even if it's the difference between literal and metaphorical and how one determines the difference. Which everyone seems to have a take on.

As a side note, if you remove all literalness from metaphors, they mean nothing.


Yeah. Many conceptual metaphors are grounded in embodied experience. The idea that Christ is a man's head and that man is a women's head is an example. The Jewish practice of wearing phylacteries on the left arm facing the heart and the other on the forehead is another. Islam employs similar metaphors, doesn't it? While there are differences between the religions, since their major sacred texts are all written from the male point of view, I suspect that it is the embodied MALE experience that is metaphorized. Don't you?

User avatar
felix dakat
Janitor
 
Posts: 8229
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:20 am
Location: east of eden

Re: Is Christianity much different from Judaism and Islam?

Postby Karpel Tunnel » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:39 am

felix dakat wrote:Yeah. Many conceptual metaphors are grounded in embodied experience. The idea that Christ is a man's head and that man is a women's head is an example. The Jewish practice of wearing phylacteries on the left arm facing the heart and the other on the forehead is another. Islam employs similar metaphors, doesn't it? While there are differences between the religions, since their major sacred texts are all written from the male point of view, I suspect that it is the embodied MALE experience that is metaphorized. Don't you?
In general I think so, though Harold Bloom is convinced much of the OT was written by a woman. I don't know his argument. But then women can carry male thinking forward, such as in female genital mutilation where the main agents in the mutilation are women. But the idea of removing the offending clitoris and guaranteeing virginity through sewing up the opening comes from men's fears which the women agensts for economic reasons MUST align themselves and their daughters with or suffer horrendous consequences. The mere fact that Christianity has a male deity and Jesus was male and priests are male - until fairly recently in all denominations - are signs of the male roots. The Holy Ghost is sometiems said to be female and there is Mother Mary, but the boys get most of the attention.
Karpel Tunnel
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2408
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:26 pm

Re: Is Christianity much different from Judaism and Islam?

Postby felix dakat » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:25 pm

I am acquainted with Harold Bloom's theory but am unpersuaded. It certainly doesn't square with the fact that Eve is blamed for the fall of Man. In any case the preponderance of biblical texts are written from the male point of view.

Of course if you want to talk about female genital mutilation I suppose we should also discuss male circumcision. That practice probably precedes Judaism. Perhaps both practices originated from rites of passage. I read that Muslims also widely practice circumcision.

If the holy ghost aka Holy Spirit is said to be female it's not said in the Bible nor is it part of Christian orthodoxy. Mother Mary does take on the attributes of a pagan goddess in Roman Catholicism. Once again that development is post-biblical. It occurred when Christianity move away from its Judaic roots. If there is a parallel in Islam I'd like to know.

User avatar
felix dakat
Janitor
 
Posts: 8229
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:20 am
Location: east of eden

Re: Is Christianity much different from Judaism and Islam?

Postby Karpel Tunnel » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:52 pm

felix dakat wrote:I am acquainted with Harold Bloom's theory but am unpersuaded. It certainly doesn't square with the fact that Eve is blamed for the fall of Man. In any case the preponderance of biblical texts are written from the male point of view.
It doesn't not square either. Women can carry misogyny with them. I have no idea the sex the person who wrote it, however.

Of course if you want to talk about female genital mutilation I suppose we should also discuss male circumcision. That practice probably precedes Judaism. Perhaps both practices originated from rites of passage. I read that Muslims also widely practice circumcision.
Yes. Well, there's certainly a hatred of sex in general in those religions and that may be feeding the early attacks on genitals. I don't like either attack but the one on the men is not as invasive or cruel.

If the holy ghost aka Holy Spirit is said to be female it's not said in the Bible nor is it part of Christian orthodoxy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender_of_the_Holy_Spirit

No, it's not the norm.

Mother Mary does take on the attributes of a pagan goddess in Roman Catholicism. Once again that development is post-biblical.
I think it's interesting that she is de facto deified more in Catholic countries.

It occurred when Christianity move away from its Judaic roots. If there is a parallel in Islam I'd like to know.
I am not sure if Allah has a gender. It's not god the father. And, given the blasphemous nature of icons in Islam we do not have images of a bearded guy in the sky.
Karpel Tunnel
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2408
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:26 pm

Re: Is Christianity much different from Judaism and Islam?

Postby Prismatic567 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:16 am

I have posted earlier in this thread and I want to emphasize we need to focus on the critical differences rather than on on the various insignificant forms. I believe the most critical and significant difference between Christianity, Judaism and Islam are the elements of evil and violence within their doctrinal texts which could inspire believers to commit evil and violent acts.

    1. Judaism has loads of evil elements in the OT but most are descriptive.
    2. Christianity has an overriding pacifist maxim that cancel out whatever violent elements there are in the NT.
    3. Islam is loaded with evil elements in the Quran and these are prescriptive for a Muslim as a divine duty.

As evident, i.e.
https://www.thereligionofpeace.com/TROP.jpg
the ideology of Islam is a serious threat to humanity given there is natural percentile of evil prone people within any group of humans at any time.
I am a progressive human being, a World Citizen, NOT-a-theist and not religious.
Prismatic567
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2533
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:35 am

Previous

Return to Religion and Spirituality



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users