Is the law of conservation of energy right?

For discussing anything related to physics, biology, chemistry, mathematics, and their practical applications.

Moderator: Flannel Jesus

Is the law of conservation of energy right?

Yes.
50%
No.
29%
I do not know.
21%

Total votes : 14

Re: Is the law of conservation of energy right?

Postby Fixed Cross » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:56 pm

Physics isn't a word game.
The strong do what they can, the weak accept what they must.
- Thucydides
Before the Light - Tree of Life Academy - Thought of a Rune (film by Pezer)
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper

Postby wuliheron » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:22 pm

Fixed Cross wrote:Physics isn't a word game.

Assuming 42 is as good an explanation as any other, that's exactly what physics is, a word game. It would mean all our words and concepts only have demonstrable meaning in specific contexts, making physics a pragmatic practice requiring the equivalent of a syntax rather than semantics. My work assumes that energy and information are ultimately indistinguishable, and experiments have demonstrated that the two can be exchanged with one another without expending any energy in the process. Classical physics takes the integral approach, while I am attempting to discern the best ways to take differentials, because what's missing from this picture can sometimes make all the difference in the world.
wuliheron

Postby Fixed Cross » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:57 pm

Yes, thats why I don't assume 42 is an explanation.

There is only one explanation; the right one.
- Thucydides
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper

Postby Fixed Cross » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:58 pm

I really think there is only one way to look at physics and resolve its paradoxes. At least I can't imagine there is another way than the one that integrates our entire system of orientation - not merely information, but value hierarchy, which causes drive, control, magnetism, power.
- Thucydides
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper

Postby wuliheron » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:14 pm

Fixed Cross wrote:I really think there is only one way to look at physics and resolve its paradoxes. At least I can't imagine there is another way than the one that integrates our entire system of orientation - not merely information, but value hierarchy, which causes drive, control, magnetism, power.

The approach I'm using can describe everything as obeying Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs as a particle-like model that can also be expressed as a spectrum of desires. Physicists have already played around with the mathematics. If there were only one way to do physics, they would not require philosophers.
wuliheron

Postby Fixed Cross » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:41 pm

Would this mean energy needs to be "safe and warm" before it can be "actualized"?

Please elaborate. Im just reading whats on the pyramid.
- Thucydides
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper

Postby wuliheron » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:03 am

Fixed Cross wrote:Would this mean energy needs to be "safe and warm" before it can be "actualized"?

Please elaborate. Im just reading whats on the pyramid.

Fermionic matter can be said to convey more information than energy, with a grain of sand in the depths of space not really doing anything until it interacts with something else. Bosons such as photons convey forces, energy, and information and are instantly emitted and absorbed by electrons with perfect fidelity and efficiency. In other words, photons are neither too hot nor too cold for electrons, but just right, and it is the electrons themselves getting too hot or too cold that can make a difference in how energy is transformed into information and vice versa. For almost pure information to be transformed into raw energy requires extreme contexts such as a fusion reactor converting some of the mass in its fuel into raw energy, or the conscious human mind figuring out how to build a fusion reactor.

However, this expresses a context dependence that doesn't obey simple metaphysical logic. For example, Finnish researchers created the first autonomous Maxwell's Demon that can sort electrons according to their charges without expending any energy in the process. Its not a source of free energy, but the experiment demonstrates how the identity of energy and information is context dependent. Extremes of any kind are excluded because every context requires a significant amount of content to be humanly conceivable, and the two will always transform into one another before becoming inconceivable.
wuliheron

Postby Fixed Cross » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:59 pm

I like this.
- Thucydides
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper

Previous

Return to Science, Technology, and Math