Know Thyself

The origins of the imperative, "know thyself", are lost in the sands of time, but the age-old examination of human consciousness continues here.

Moderator: MagsJ

Re: Know Thyself

Postby URUZ » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:54 pm

I was never that impressed, actually.
EIHWAZ PERTHO NAUTHIZ

ANSUZ
User avatar
URUZ
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2049
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:14 am
Location: The topoi

Re: Know Thyself

Postby Lump » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:25 pm

mannequin01 wrote:Who are you, or what are you, or how do you see yourself?

Feel free to tell all about yourself in relation to the above title, your history, bloodline, your mentality, your whatever..what makes you you?
Like 99% of all people will paint an unrealistic picture of themselves, because of low rationality, exactly why no one can do lawsuits without a lawyer education.
Lump
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:29 pm

Re: Know Thyself

Postby MagsJ » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:28 pm

MagsJ wrote:..and on the 3rd day, I arose from the sofa.. but not quite the dead.

Biblical or what.

Being reintroduced to myself, but in a different/less-intense light.
Image
User avatar
MagsJ
The Londonist
 
Posts: 17497
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: London, NC1

Re: Know Thyself

Postby Meno_ » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:53 pm

MagsJ,

Introductions are at times painful, re-introductions, well, doubly so!
Meno_
Philosopher
 
Posts: 3573
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:39 am
Location: Mysterium Tremendum

Re: Know Thyself

Postby Ultimate Philosophy 1001 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:45 pm

surreptitious57 wrote:It may be depressing to you but more importantly it happens to be true. There will come a point in time when the human race will simply
be no more. That does not bother me because I just accept it and neither will it bother anyone else because by then they will all be dead
Free from all suffering forever more. And anyone who thinks that is depressing needs to explain to themselves why exactly they think this


What is depressing is that you claim your myths are truths. And relentlessly so, you've been claiming the same myth as a solid truth for years now, immune to logic and reason.
trogdor
User avatar
Ultimate Philosophy 1001
BANNED
 
Posts: 8312
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:57 pm

Re: Know Thyself

Postby mannequin01 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:04 pm

Ultimate Philosophy 1001

Hey stranger
User avatar
mannequin01
 
Posts: 174
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:41 am

Re: Know Thyself

Postby surreptitious75 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:22 pm


Hey Trixie long time no see where you been hiding the last month
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious75
 
Posts: 467
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:48 pm

Re: Know Thyself

Postby Arcturus Descending » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:47 pm

mannequin01 wrote:Who are you, or what are you, or how do you see yourself?

Feel free to tell all about yourself in relation to the above title, your history, bloodline, your mentality, your whatever..what makes you you?


I am an unfinished product of many things in Existence - a work still in progress.

Or maybe still I can compare myself to the marble in the quarry (David) - sight unseen but still imagined and taking shape.
“How can a bird that is born for joy
Sit in a cage and sing?”
― William Blake


“Little Fly
Thy summers play,
My thoughtless hand
Has brush'd away.

Am not I
A fly like thee?
Or art not thou
A man like me?

For I dance
And drink & sing:
Till some blind hand
Shall brush my wing.

If thought is life
And strength & breath:
And the want
Of thought is death;

Then am I
A happy fly,
If I live,
Or if I die”
― William Blake, Songs of Innocence and of Experience


“No bird soars too high if he soars with his own wings.”
― William Blake
User avatar
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker
 
Posts: 15274
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: A state of unknowing

Re: Know Thyself

Postby Arcturus Descending » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:04 pm

James wrote,

Throughout the infinite universe, there will always and forever be a person exactly identical to you, down to every atom.


That is certainly something to ponder.
If, in my loneliness, there is this other, wouldn't that be just the same as when I console myself?
What need would I have of someone who is another self but the same self to me?

Could I even wish for something like this? Quite frankly, I don't know.
But I would suppose that it would be like looking into a mirror or a crystal ball and having something to focus on as I tried to Know Myself.

But it really is an interesting thought to gaze on.
“How can a bird that is born for joy
Sit in a cage and sing?”
― William Blake


“Little Fly
Thy summers play,
My thoughtless hand
Has brush'd away.

Am not I
A fly like thee?
Or art not thou
A man like me?

For I dance
And drink & sing:
Till some blind hand
Shall brush my wing.

If thought is life
And strength & breath:
And the want
Of thought is death;

Then am I
A happy fly,
If I live,
Or if I die”
― William Blake, Songs of Innocence and of Experience


“No bird soars too high if he soars with his own wings.”
― William Blake
User avatar
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker
 
Posts: 15274
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: A state of unknowing

Re: Know Thyself

Postby MagsJ » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:24 pm

Meno_ wrote:MagsJ,

Introductions are at times painful, re-introductions, well, doubly so!

The re-introduction is minus the hindrance of the cloak of modernity's schoolings, so not so much painful, as swift.. the mental progressing swifter than the physical, so not ideal.
Image
User avatar
MagsJ
The Londonist
 
Posts: 17497
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: London, NC1

Re: Know Thyself

Postby Arcturus Descending » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:27 pm

James S Saint wrote:
mannequin01 wrote:well, that was rather depressing...

anybody have anything slightly more uplifting?

Throughout the infinite universe, there will always and forever be a person exactly identical to you, down to every atom.


Hmmm... I am not so sure that I can believe that. Prove it to me.
Perhaps that statement is to allow us out of our isolation and loneliness.

I do so love snowflakes.
“How can a bird that is born for joy
Sit in a cage and sing?”
― William Blake


“Little Fly
Thy summers play,
My thoughtless hand
Has brush'd away.

Am not I
A fly like thee?
Or art not thou
A man like me?

For I dance
And drink & sing:
Till some blind hand
Shall brush my wing.

If thought is life
And strength & breath:
And the want
Of thought is death;

Then am I
A happy fly,
If I live,
Or if I die”
― William Blake, Songs of Innocence and of Experience


“No bird soars too high if he soars with his own wings.”
― William Blake
User avatar
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker
 
Posts: 15274
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: A state of unknowing

Re: Know Thyself

Postby Meno_ » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:38 pm

Actually Arc, he did prove it to me, but only philosophically because he implied that you needed higher math for it which I couldn't grasp. I will try to find his proof though.
Meno_
Philosopher
 
Posts: 3573
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:39 am
Location: Mysterium Tremendum

Re: Know Thyself

Postby Mr Reasonable » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:51 am

I've been called the way, the truth and the life. I'm basically just the best there is. Every day I wake up and I piss excellence.
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.
Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.

What exactly is logic? -Magnus Anderson

Support the innocence project on AmazonSmile instead of Turd's African savior biker dude.
http://www.innocenceproject.org/
User avatar
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian
 
Posts: 25450
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:54 am
Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Re: Know Thyself

Postby Mithus » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:07 am

Meno_ wrote:Actually Arc, he did prove it to me, but only philosophically because he implied that you needed higher math for it which I couldn't grasp. I will try to find his proof though.

You probably mean this:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=188786#p2569291
..... panta rhei .............................................
User avatar
Mithus
 
Posts: 197
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:05 pm

Re: Know Thyself

Postby Meno_ » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:05 pm

Mithus wrote:
Meno_ wrote:Actually Arc, he did prove it to me, but only philosophically because he implied that you needed higher math for it which I couldn't grasp. I will try to find his proof though.

You probably mean this:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=188786#p2569291



Yes , thank You


I have sent this material to afore mentioned mathematician , and awaiting her comments. Will relate, if she takes it upon herself to comment.

My initial response would require a modality to establish a necessary structural link of between the logic of math and logic , to give sense to this type in investigation.

The positivists had a solution.

Is Ed still up and around?
Meno_
Philosopher
 
Posts: 3573
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:39 am
Location: Mysterium Tremendum

Re: Know Thyself

Postby Arcturus Descending » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:09 pm

Meno_ wrote:Actually Arc, he did prove it to me, but only philosophically because he implied that you needed higher math for it which I couldn't grasp. I will try to find his proof though.


Well, I read what Mithus inserted but it was kind of like all Greek to me, Meno.
If someone could put it into layperson's terms, though I am not sure if that itself is even possible, I might be able to think about it.


Throughout the infinite universe, there will always and forever be a person exactly identical to you, down to every atom.


I still find it difficult to believe that this could ever be true in light of the complexity of each human being ~~ our genes, our memories, our life experiences, our personal psychic lives and the ways in which each of us experience and respond to our own environment, so many of those environments being different, etc.
Even identical twins are not completely identical to one another, not even facially completely identical, I do not think. That particular something which could even make identical twins go in two different directions in life. Wouldn't that alone speak of us as being more like the snowflakes rather than tools off an assembly line?

I would need strong, strong evidence for it. I would need to observe and examine another me for a very long time and even then I would be skeptical. Okay, I am now rambling.

But I do not see it at all.
“How can a bird that is born for joy
Sit in a cage and sing?”
― William Blake


“Little Fly
Thy summers play,
My thoughtless hand
Has brush'd away.

Am not I
A fly like thee?
Or art not thou
A man like me?

For I dance
And drink & sing:
Till some blind hand
Shall brush my wing.

If thought is life
And strength & breath:
And the want
Of thought is death;

Then am I
A happy fly,
If I live,
Or if I die”
― William Blake, Songs of Innocence and of Experience


“No bird soars too high if he soars with his own wings.”
― William Blake
User avatar
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker
 
Posts: 15274
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: A state of unknowing

Re: Know Thyself

Postby Meno_ » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:08 pm

Arcturus Descending wrote:
Meno_ wrote:Actually Arc, he did prove it to me, but only philosophically because he implied that you needed higher math for it which I couldn't grasp. I will try to find his proof though.


Well, I read what Mithus inserted but it was kind of like all Greek to me, Meno.
If someone could put it into layperson's terms, though I am not sure if that itself is even possible, I might be able to think about it.


Throughout the infinite universe, there will always and forever be a person exactly identical to you, down to every atom.


I still find it difficult to believe that this could ever be true in light of the complexity of each human being ~~ our genes, our memories, our life experiences, our personal psychic lives and the ways in which each of us experience and respond to our own environment, so many of those environments being different, etc.
Even identical twins are not completely identical to one another, not even facially completely identical, I do not think. That particular something which could even make identical twins go in two different directions in life. Wouldn't that alone speak of us as being more like the snowflakes rather than tools off an assembly line?

I would need strong, strong evidence for it. I would need to observe and examine another me for a very long time and even then I would be skeptical. Okay, I am now rambling.

But I do not see it at all.






The simpler explanation rests with Cantor and his set theory and also the blog we carried on for quote a while regarding the mathematical formulation of whether .99999999999999999999999 and so on toward infinity , can ever =1.As a mathematical progression, it can't ever happen, even if, the numbers become Infinitissably small to become ever closer to infinity. That's the idea , but, when the closeness to infinity become so slight that they are indistinguishable from one and the other, then there is a problem dealing with open and closed sets. A closed set indicates the same idea Leibnitz was propagating, and for a perfect identity to develop, that mathematical impossibility of reaching a perfect identity, is probable to an absolute certainty given a number of infinite recurrences.

For if this was not true , then there would be no place in evolution which would individuate unto higher and more defined sets of bits of information

This is the idea based on the negative individuation of primary differentiation. The allegory of the cave+, the reflextive consciousness of Narcissus make clear the archaic notions surrounding the tie in between the foundations of mythological types and the logical contradiction between a post scriptive derivation and its pre reflexive antimony

How this squares with Hindu and Buddhist philosophy can be noted with Schpenhauer's inquiry into esoteric beliefs.

The point is that philosophy itself deals with the basic beliefs of the existence of the self, and its survival, and my feeling is that this duplex between the two is one of reflection, risen of a conscious manifestation and pre occupation with, the problem .

These thoughts are really preliminary and do away with mathematical notation, which claims that mathematics are an a-priori tool

Post Leibnitzian thought has steered away from this line of argument, and is satisfied with the Kantian notion of an a priori synthetic, and perhaps that a is why we humans lost faith in the idea of immortality.

However such dismissal based on a few hundred years of reliance on man for man, as opposed to God for man, seems not to justify the abandonment of non differential myths connected with a pre realized reality. Such is postscriptively
unfair to the vestiges which remain of the processes of reflection, of consciousness as a whole.

god could just as well Be the sum of all infinite sets, separate and distinct at the same time on whatever level
.

New physics is toying with the idea that reality described in this way could manifest as one single atomic particle , where no laws of math or physics can describe this state.

And this state is akin to the ages old proverbial manifestation of innumerable angels dancing on the top of a pin. If the soul is infinitely divisible then, the state is populated with beings infinitely small, having no known existence in space time as we have come to learn it.
Meno_
Philosopher
 
Posts: 3573
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:39 am
Location: Mysterium Tremendum

Re: Know Thyself

Postby Meno_ » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:39 pm

If You mind to go along with this so far, then what the mystics say about attain ing Sartori, can become plainly evident, where a singular(ity) position may become more understandable-in that such attainment requires giving up on further 're-births.

Giving up on reincarnation may be extremely hard to attain, sometimes requiring millions of recurrences. That's pretty much hard to fathom.
Meno_
Philosopher
 
Posts: 3573
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:39 am
Location: Mysterium Tremendum

Previous

Return to Psychology and Mind



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users