Moral Beliefs as Prices

This is the main board for discussing philosophy - formal, informal and in between.

Moderator: Only_Humean

Forum rules
Forum Philosophy

Re: Moral Beliefs as Prices

Postby Mowk » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:55 am

think this is a good distinction, but I don't think this is exhaustive. Take something like math:

For the purpose of economics its a great distinction. The math is fairly simple addition and subtraction.

Distraction? We aren't the only species on the planet with a capacity to quantify and those other species ain't running right out to establish a currency of exchange. Maybe it has a lot to do with that human idea of ownership.

Counting is pretty rudimentary. And the fact a few culture came up with it independently is your argument? Several cultures are also credited with singular advancements in it's application. How does that help your argument of capitalization of things we can not even own. If the system is one of exchange then who or what are we exchanging with for the natural resources? Who gave them to humans to do with as we wish? Who bought the rights to foul the water and the air and who was it paid too?

Carleas, you sure do a fine jig around the issue.
my goal in life is to die and no one notices.
in other words; to live as audaciously as possible while drawing the least attention. or at best, something vaguely similar.
Mowk
Philosopher

Postby Mowk » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:08 am

Can ethical values be priced?

So, yes, I don't like it (our monetary system). And yes it exists, and for every now there is, I have to figure out a way to live with it. Selling out or costed out of living, either way.

If you like it, you are at an advantage in it.

Someone judging your every idea whether it has economic merit. Me being forced to judge my own ideas, by a merit that lacks in judgement. They are good. OK. They came into my head of their own volition. They grow like weeds.

So yeah, WE made it about money. Given me, how can I be happy about that?

I think you're asking about something that has a lot more clout then morals. I thing morals are learned, and as such they do have a price.

I feel like I was born with ethics, they aren't mine to sell. Sucks to be me cause I think they would be worth a lot, if only I could figure out how to sell them.
in other words; to live as audaciously as possible while drawing the least attention. or at best, something vaguely similar.
Mowk
Philosopher

Postby Mowk » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:10 am

Have been milling it over. Ground fairly fine. I'll concede, assuming a monetary system; everything has a price.

Are morals things?

Do you ever really get to the morals or does it get exchanged for the money first?

Carelas, You have likely a better guess then I.

Thanks, You offered a thought I felt like I wasn't wasting my time thinking it.

A valuable question.

Sorry I think I reaped a bit of what you have sowed. Nature grows it. :shrug: I am a foraging animal.
Mowk
Philosopher

Postby Mowk » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:16 am

If I appreciate it does that make it OK? Or do I owe you?
Mowk
Philosopher

Postby Xunzian » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:45 pm

I always liked the idea that willpower is the only thing in the universe capable of travelling the path of most resistance.

It's an aphorism but one that, I think, forms the basis of moral beliefs. Profit, on the other hand, often follows the path of least resistance.
Xunzian
Drunken Master

Previous

Return to Philosophy