Something Instead of Nothing

This is the main board for discussing philosophy - formal, informal and in between.

Moderator: Only_Humean

Forum rules
Forum Philosophy

Re: Something Instead of Nothing

Postby Ecmandu » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:07 pm

Pedro I Rengel wrote:Ecmandu, you are a crazy bastard.

Well, I know who my father is, so I'm not a bastard.

Actually, since I'm a "pill baby" (conceived of a mother taking the pill) I could actually be immaculately conceived !!

Crazy? Maybe. I'll walk, actually run, into nooks of existence many fear to tread.

Good idea? Probably not.

Made me who I am today though...

Which I happen to think is a great idea.

Go figure.
Ecmandu
ILP Legend

Postby Prismatic567 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:21 am

Ecmandu wrote:
Prismatic567 wrote:
Ecmandu wrote:To additionally explain this:

From a Buddhist perspective, there is something called "dependent arising".

This basically means that something else has to exist in order for something to exist.

What both of the phrases mean in terms of time is that in every moment, existence is just beginning to exist through the lack of isn't, and dependent arising.

That's why the present is so important in Buddhism.

The present moment is all of creation.

Yes there is 'dependent origination' [inter-beingness] is Buddhism, but there is also the concept of 'Sunyata' aka 'emptiness' and that is ultimately extended to 'nothingness' [it is contentious]. But I do not agree with the opposing view taking into the account the principle of the Buddhist Tetralemma.

The way I've had emptiness taught to me is that dreams are just as real as waking life, and thus, they are both not real, you must wake from the dream of the dreams and the dream of the waking life.

Since dreams are empty, and waking life is also empty, this is called "everything is emptiness". Unless you wake up from both dreams, then you are called an "awakened one", enlightened.

Agree to an extent, but the point is 'awakened_ness' is also empty as with emptiness is also empty. Where one do not adopt this principle, there is a good chance the ego [self] will creep in to grab/cling [Upādāna] at whatever.

There are many [monks, gurus, mystics] who claimed to be awakened and had/have many followers but they turned out be involved in many evil scandals.
I am a progressive human being, a World Citizen, NOT-a-theist and not religious.
Prismatic567
Philosopher

Postby surreptitious75 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:54 pm

iambiguous wrote:
If the only accumulated knowledge in the entire universe is here on Earth and tomorrow the Really Really Really Big One
[ asteroid / comet ] strikes it and obliterates all life forms what of knowledge then ?

It will cease to exist because knowledge requires minds so without them it is no more
Information however does not require minds so it will carry on existing just as before
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious75
Thinker

Postby Dan~ » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:17 am

Ecmandu wrote:
Pedro I Rengel wrote:Ecmandu, you are a crazy bastard.

Well, I know who my father is, so I'm not a bastard.

Actually, since I'm a "pill baby" (conceived of a mother taking the pill) I could actually be immaculately conceived !!

Crazy? Maybe. I'll walk, actually run, into nooks of existence many fear to tread.

Good idea? Probably not.

Made me who I am today though...

Which I happen to think is a great idea.

Go figure.

Although i find this funny, it is actually a bad idea to go around thinking people are crazy bastards.
It's a trick where you compare yourself to the worst people therefor you are great because you aren't as bad as they are.
I like http://www.accuradio.com , internet radio.
https://dannerz.itch.io/ -- a new and minimal webside now hosting two of my free game projects.
Dan~
ILP Legend

Location: May the loving spirit of papa hitler watch over and bless you all.

Postby Ecmandu » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:42 am

Dan? Your post reads like you agree that I'm not only a crazy bastard, but among the worst life has to offer.

Was that your intent?
Ecmandu
ILP Legend

Postby Dan~ » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:06 am

Ecmandu wrote:Dan? Your post reads like you agree that I'm not only a crazy bastard, but among the worst life has to offer.
Was that your intent?

I was saying that the process of insulting people on forums is a mistake.
https://dannerz.itch.io/ -- a new and minimal webside now hosting two of my free game projects.
Dan~
ILP Legend

Postby Dan~ » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:07 am

That was a most surprising strawman. Hopefully your questioning spirit can clarify many things.
Dan~
ILP Legend

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:06 am

What? I meant it as a compliment.

I only ever listen to crazy bastards. Ecmandu is one for sure.

What kinda sicko uses bastard to suggest you don't know who your father is?
Pedro I Rengel
Philosopher

Postby iambiguous » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:51 pm

Lloyd Strickland from the Conversation website
https://theconversation.com/us

In an ideal world, every extraordinary philosophical question would come with an extraordinary story telling the tale of how someone first thought of it. Unfortunately, we can only guess at what led a German philosopher, perhaps today best known for the Choco Leibniz biscuits later named after him, to come up with what is often described as the greatest philosophical question of all, namely: why is there something rather than nothing?

At least we can all surely agree here about that. What could possibly be more important to grasp than why there is something and not nothing at all?

Only after this either can or cannot be established does it make sense to move on to why this something and not another something instead.

Only how on earth is it possible to answer a question involving something that you are yourself inherently a part of? Here the objective truth is being pursued subjectively by a mind that is unable even to explain how and why it is embedded in something at all.

So: Is there any realistic way at all to explore this "reasonably"?
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby iambiguous » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:56 pm

surreptitious75 wrote:
iambiguous wrote:
If the only accumulated knowledge in the entire universe is here on Earth and tomorrow the Really Really Really Big One
[ asteroid / comet ] strikes it and obliterates all life forms what of knowledge then ?

It will cease to exist because knowledge requires minds so without them it is no more
Information however does not require minds so it will carry on existing just as before

So, if human intelligence actually is the only source of knowledge in the universe, then all that existed going back to whatever actually explains somethingness itself, was still around.

Whatever that means?
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby surreptitious75 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:31 am

iambiguous wrote:
So if human intelligence actually is the only source of knowledge in the universe

Humans are recipients of knowledge not its source as that is the external physical world
For we acquire scientific facts through observation rather than through simple deduction
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious75
Thinker

Previous

Return to Philosophy