Something Instead of Nothing

This is the main board for discussing philosophy - formal, informal and in between.

Re: Something Instead of Nothing

Postby promethean75 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:31 pm

Forrest Gump was a goddamn hero you sonofabitch. Don't you forget it.
promethean75
Philosopher

Postby iambiguous » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:10 pm

Fixed Cross wrote:I get that you get too agitated by being called out on your bullshit to be able to write. But Im not gonna listen to another one of your Forrest Gump emulations.

Forrest Gump aside, let's get this started: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=195495&start=25
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=176529
Then here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=185296
And here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=194382
iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby promethean75 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:50 pm

Forget about it biggs... we ain't doing the astrology debate again. It's such a no brainer we shouldn't have had to do it the first time.
promethean75
Philosopher

Postby iambiguous » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:31 pm

promethean75 wrote:Forget about it biggs... we ain't doing the astrology debate again. It's such a no brainer we shouldn't have had to do it the first time.

Still, it relaxes me to go back and forth with minds that baffle me. Or minds that think things that make absolutely no sense at all to me. But minds that don't seem to be afflicted with any, uh, "condition".

Besides, when you are waiting for godot -- to die, in other words -- nothing is really off the table.
He was like a man who wanted to change all; and could not; so burned with his impotence; and had only me, an infinitely small microcosm to convert or detest. John Fowles

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Postby promethean75 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:38 pm

Which philosopher said life should be spent preparing to die? Was that a philosopher or one of those zen guys?

But thinking about my mortality still seizes me with the same indescribable feeling of absurdity. Really think about what that entails; dying, and never ever ever living again. Total annihilation. Like you were never even there. A cosmic blink of an eye. And it doesn't even matter that it didn't even matter.

This is so irrevocably fucked up you cant even call it good or bad. It's just an absurd fact. THE absurd fact. The great leveler of all other facts.
promethean75
Philosopher

Postby iambiguous » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:42 pm

promethean75 wrote:Which philosopher said life should be spent preparing to die? Was that a philosopher or one of those zen guys?

But thinking about my mortality still seizes me with the same indescribable feeling of absurdity. Really think about what that entails; dying, and never ever ever living again. Total annihilation. Like you were never even there. A cosmic blink of an eye. And it doesn't even matter that it didn't even matter.

This is so irrevocably fucked up you cant even call it good or bad. It's just an absurd fact. THE absurd fact. The great leveler of all other facts.

Being optimistic, sure.

iambiguous
ILP Legend

Previous

Return to Philosophy