most well written post of ILP competition

Elevate form over function to get at less easily articulable truths.

most well written post of ILP competition

Postby barbarianhorde » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:31 pm

I am posting one here out of pure admiration for this post, not because it is the one singular best written post, but because, it occurs to me there is so much great literature out here even though it is hidden in quite a lot less elegant stuff and yet, the good writing is worth taking a look at even if you're not following a thread.

So heres my first contender. Afterwards I will give a shot explanation of why this is good and I think that should be the norm for submissions.

Exuberant Teleportation wrote:When I was in 6th grade, it was my 1st real exposure to that code, and the interchangeability of matter and energy was nothing compared to the revelation I had in 11th grade, while reading Michio Kaku's Hyperspace that THE FASTER YOU GO THROUGH SPACE, THE SLOWER YOU GO THROUGH TIME!

And you can never reach the speed of light, because the closer you get to it, the more mass you will gain from the energy of your speed. All of that extra luggage will just slow you down, never letting you get that fast.

Is there a law of the universe that could break down, a chaotic fissure that could shatter the existential game, and rewrite the codes to let us command existence as we please? Perhaps, and to cap off this glorious achievement, we would truly be the masters of our fate, the builders of destiny.

And now how did Einstein come to fashion his marvelously elegant theory of relativity? Well, it begin with the works of Newton, Faraday, and Maxwell. Everyone, we all know about Newton (who certainly wasn't as smart as Einstein, because his quotes are weaker), but Faraday/Maxwell pioneered our knowledge on electromagnetic fields, helping Einstein to visualize what would happen if we were to travel alongside a beam of light.

Now, 1 interesting thing about relativity is that space is curved by the mass of matter, and if gravity were infinite, time would stand still.

If we could achieve this timeless feature like we see at the singularities at the center of black holes, then we would invent time machines. And travelling through the wormhole, to other universes could also be fascinating but, like lightspeed, how do we get through a black hole wormhole tunnel that we've been inexorably frozen win time in?

These questions are amazingly complex, but we have the time and resources to work the impossible.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=175737&start=175

First of all, think this is good because it takes a difficult subject that has been treated with articles and science fiction about as many times as a blade of grass was eaten by a cow on the good green earf, so often. And it manages to not be just another blip but actually an exciting proposal to invent time travel based on a scientific argument for its possibility. So it is like a spark. Sparks are always hard to pull off without a hammer and anvil. I mean to say, this is harder than it looks. "Make things as simple as possible but not simpler" - ... Einstein
It is true that liberty is precious; so precious that it must be carefully rationed.
~ Владимир Ильич Ульянов Ленин

THE HORNED ONE
barbarianhorde
Philosopher

Re: most well written post of ILP competition

Postby Meno_ » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:49 pm

Solution from a Master of a Universe:

Buddha, a greater thinking Being than Einstein. A presupposition of pre existence on a totally non existential course, one with being with das Sein, the father of a lesser god.

With Him , time has been traveled through with an increasingly shortening space , almost through an infinite time.. Minus ours, where we STILL have a WAYS to go.

Can we ever get there? Never if we follow this course, for THIS will always signal the way to the paradox of infinite reduction.

Thank God,
Meno_
Philosopher

Postby Silhouette » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:37 am

barbarianhorde wrote:I am posting one here out of pure admiration for this post, not because it is the one singular best written post, but because, it occurs to me there is so much great literature out here even though it is hidden in quite a lot less elegant stuff and yet, the good writing is worth taking a look at even if you're not following a thread.

So heres my first contender. Afterwards I will give a shot explanation of why this is good and I think that should be the norm for submissions.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=175737&start=175

First of all, think this is good because it takes a difficult subject that has been treated with articles and science fiction about as many times as a blade of grass was eaten by a cow on the good green earf, so often. And it manages to not be just another blip but actually an exciting proposal to invent time travel based on a scientific argument for its possibility. So it is like a spark. Sparks are always hard to pull off without a hammer and anvil. I mean to say, this is harder than it looks. "Make things as simple as possible but not simpler" - ... Einstein

If I was Einstein all I would have been looking for would be a reforumulation of "F = ma" over distance, d: "Fd = mda" i.e. "E = mc^2" when the square root of "da" is the speed of light.

From the "Twin Paradox" it appears that inertia is inversely proportional to time, and of course inertia is proportional to mass, leading to the formulation "Inertia = m/t" (perhaps multiplied by some constant). Inertia is independent of any change in distance, so mass and time appear to be its physical constituents. No one seems to have proposed this before.

Here I've applied the same manipulation of standard units to come up with an original physical formula in the same way - does this now merit the same elegance of the theory of relativity? Probably not, but I don't think the theory of relativity is so very mysterious.

Also, pretty much anything I write is written to a superior standard relative to the ILP standard... as is attested in threads such as: Gloominary's mention of me - a thread that you began before you were made aware of me.
Silhouette
Philosopher

Postby Meno_ » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:17 am

Again that mention is irrelevant for vindication. Irrespective of content. Since verification is via inductive reasoning of what that may have
been relative to what it is.

It does not simplify and still Einstein's call for simplification, even of he was aware of all implication.

That is not sufficient in displacing relative truth, unless coming from other presumptions then those of of Einstein's pregenitors.

For my part rename my part I would rename this most well inferred, rather then well written.
Meno_
Philosopher

Postby barbarianhorde » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:58 pm

Hmm.
Im hoping some others wont be as prideful as to discuss their own merits here but come up with a post by someone else!!! Or am I the only one here capabyeof valuing others work?
Sometimes I think so.

But Sil, why is the speech of light what it is, why does it covert so neatly to e and m? Thats the genius, the applied mathematics.
It is true that liberty is precious; so precious that it must be carefully rationed.

THE HORNED ONE
barbarianhorde
Philosopher

Postby Silhouette » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:59 pm

barbarianhorde wrote:But Sil, why is the speech of light what it is, why does it covert so neatly to e and m? Thats the genius, the applied mathematics.

The speed of light is just some constant, like every other constant be it the gravitational constant, planck's constant, absolute zero etc. - they might as well be given the value "1" or "0", and everything else measured relative to them. The fact that they're some weird number is testament only to the units that we happened to settle on to measure everyday things back when science was new. Why is a metre as long as it is? A second as long as it is? People weren't consulting the physical limits of the universe when they decided how much a gram weighed - it would be astronomically surprising if physical limits just so happened to match up with the arbitrary measures that humans stumbled upon accepting whilst fumbling around in the dark.

What does have significance is the way in which basic units of measurement relate to one another. F = ma is simply the observation that "feeling some push or pull" is moreso the heavier something is, and the faster it's accelerating. "Force" is just an interpretation of human experience that depends on these two things: mass and acceleration. Energy, "E", is no different: it's Force, but over a distance. Energy is mass being accelerated from point A to point B: E = Fd. And since F = ma, Fd is "mad" (lol), I mean the product of mass, acceleration and distance, which use the units "kilogram, metres per second squared, metres" i.e. kgm^2/s^2, which simplifies to kg(m/s)^2: mass x velocity squared, m(v^2). What v though? The speed of light, c. E = m(c^2). Force over distance converting to mass and a speed limit really isn't that mystical if you break it down like this.

And the famous formula isn't even accurate if motion is involved, and has to be qualified with "1 divided by (the square root of (1 minus (velocity squared divided by the speed of light squared))), all minus 1", the gamma value of a Lorentz Transformation - so the conversion from E to m isn't as neat as E = m(c^2) it is famously sold as being. And the fact that the speed limit of light turns out to be the important velocity in question is just a result of special relativity, which is only really born from the common sense observation that speeds are relative to the observer - and the experimental realisation that time and distance aren't absolute, because they dilate/contract the faster you go. The impressive part is all the math to prove the exact way in which they all relate to each other, and the genius part is seeing past the traditional Newtonian assumptions of absolute time and distance. But to be fair, in Newton's time nothing was being measured accurately enough near the speed of light, so how was he supposed to know.

Anyhoo, my last post was written drunk, and whilst I do have a high opinion of myself I tend not to be quite so brazen with it when sober - oopsy.
Silhouette
Philosopher

Postby barbarianhorde » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:19 pm

"The impressive part is all the math to prove the exact way in which they all relate to each other"

Yes, that's the point I was making to which you were supposed to respond. ;)

Anywho we agree. Also with Exuberant T. The impressive part is... impressive.

THE HORNED ONE
barbarianhorde
Philosopher

Postby surreptitious75 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:51 pm

The idea behind this thread is an excellent one and so I hope that it becomes very popular and extensive
As long as no egos get involved and start submitting their own posts [ there should be a rule against this ]

This forum is I8 years old and many original posters are no longer here so trawling through the archives might be beneficial
Otherwise all those threads will simply be lying abandoned and will probably never be read again - which would be a shame
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious75
Thinker

Postby barbarianhorde » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:44 pm

surreptitious75 wrote:The idea behind this thread is an excellent one and so I hope that it becomes very popular and extensive
As long as no egos get involved and start submitting their own posts [ there should be a rule against this ]

This forum is I8 years old and many original posters are no longer here so trawling through the archives might be beneficial
Otherwise all those threads will simply be lying abandoned and will probably never be read again - which would be a shame

This is what understanding looks like.

The value that lies dormant here below the surface is pretty impressive.

THE HORNED ONE
barbarianhorde
Philosopher

Postby barbarianhorde » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:13 am

Cause it aint raining applications yet, heres a second entry of mine of what I really enjoyed as a post.

promethean75 wrote:i'm not recording footage of the tornado right now because the fucking mechanics closed the bay doors so i couldn't slip in the back and grab my phone in time. by the time i got back around to the front to ask one of em to get it for me (customers can't go in the garage unattended for insurance reasons)... it was gone. but then another formed right around the corner and... wait, lemme back up so you know what the fuck is going on here.

so the mexicans went to lunch and left the other van parked behind mine in the driveway of the job. i couldn't get out... but if i pulled forward a little, i might be able to reverse parallel park and get out. so i do, and the front end sinks down a good half a foot. ground was soft from the rain. so i jam a 2 by 12 underneath the drive tire to get some traction, and try to reverse back. then i hear a loud snap. somehow the board busted through the tread of the tire (it was an old spare with some dry rot)... and now i'm stuck AND i got a slow leak. fuck. gotta wait for the mexicans to get back from lunch to push me out. took all six of em. ludwig van weighs a ton. but they got me out. so now i'm googling the nearest tire shop cuz i gotta get there fast, right. this is in durham and i'm not familiar with the place at all. so i drive to a firestone. guy won't get off the phone. hurry up, dude, i'm losing air right here in your lot and i've got no spare on the van. are you gonna sell me four new tires or what? note: the other three had dry rot as well... van was parked for two years while i was in jail... so i might as well get a whole new set. still on the phone. so i run across the street in the pouring rain to mr. tire; look, i've got an emergency. need four new tires, and fast. yeah we can get you in. cool. gimme the tires and lifetime rotation and balance deal. let's do the whole thing. so i'm in the lobby waiting and i look outside. the funnel started to form not two hundred years away, it seemed like. TV in the lobby is going bonkers with emergency warnings. mechanics are all running around and trippin. so i jump up and run around the back to get my phone... was almost blown sideways in the parking lot. but they closed all the bays. fuck man i was SO CLOSE. it didn't fully form or touch down though... but another one started down the road. i'da drove straight to the sonofabitch if ludwig van wasn't on the lift.

but what a exhilarating rush. i've never seen a tornado in person before. man i was gonna show ya'll a video clip you'd never forget. oh well. maybe i'll get the next one. i know now that i'm a natural born storm chaser. my instinct told me to run TOWARD the monster. weird, i know.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=190876&p=2726065#p2725927

This is just good storytelling. No need to form opinions or have them in advance here, only a glimpse outside of my world into another.

THE HORNED ONE
barbarianhorde
Philosopher

Return to Creative Writing