"0.999... === 1" is at the very least internally consistent

Where can I find 1.0 second that is more or less than 1 second? What you are claiming is that 1.0 second can be .99 seconds, or 1.01 seconds. What you are claiming is that 1.0 unit is not really 1 unit, it is more or less than 1.0 unit.

Quite frankly that is absolute BULLSHIT!

I am just saying that 1 second is in reality an approximation, and depending on the instrument, will give a range with greater or lesser divergence. As proven by my thought experiment about attempting to callibrate two clocks that give readings up to the 8th or 9th place.

It’s really very simple, and obsrvr put it well. If it has 0 quantity, it literally does not exist. Nothing can point to something that doesn’t exist. For it to be marked, it requires existence, for which it requires quantity, which by definition requires either a range, or a finite minimum size.

BULLSHIT! 1.0 of ANYTHING is EXACTLY 1.0 of that unit. 1.0 is EXACTLY 1.0.

1.0 = 1.0

PROOF!

I agree with that much - but you - again - are missing the point.

Physical reality is NOT the geometric concept you keep in mind. That mapping of reality ONLY applies to the macroscopic world in which you live and breath – beneath what you can perceive - there are no precise positions - no precise durations - nothing infinitely precise at all - and it happens that way FOR a REASON/CAUSE that cannot be denied.

Even a finite minimum size will by definition be a range, and it is then the case that that range simply no longer splits into the same thing, like time or space, but some other category.

So you are claiming there is no starting line? You are claiming there is no finish line? You are claiming all the gamblers at a horse track are being ripped off? You are claiming there is no “breaking the plane” in football?

You are claiming there is no such thing as 12 O’Clock?

The line is there. It is simply a range rather than a nondimensional element. if you zoom in enough, the line disappears.

Who said anything about reality? I am talking about the units of time!

1.0 second is EXACTLY 1.0 seconds, AS DEFINED! In reality there is no “seconds” or “1.0”, so save the BS!

We are talking about man made time, and the units used to measure that man made time.

We are talking about math, which is points, and lines, and concepts. We are NOT talking about how accurate cheap watches or atomic clocks are !

Right, but time is a thing that exists by definition in reality.

If it is not in reality, it is not time, but something else.

If you are not talking about physical reality - you are stuck with the issue of zero times infinity = 0 space and Zeno’s paradox of motion => impossible to move (all conceptual).

NO! Time is a man made concept. It is measured with quantities and units of seconds, minutes, years etc.

The concept of nature changing occurs over a duration. Man devised a system to MEASURE duration using units of seconds, minutes, years, etc.

We are not talking about how accurate watches can be, we are talking about the units of time!

So you are saying that time doesn’t actually exist, but only change?

That’s Zeno’s BS. We are not forced to live by his BS!

I can just as easily say it’s impossible to go from point A to point B when you take 1 step forward and 2 steps backward. See, you can never get there like that, so now what?

But even then I’m not convinced. even conceptually, a thing with 0 quantity is not a problem. It can be added anywhere in the system and not affect it. You can have 1, infinite zeroes, 2, infinite zeroes, 3, and it would be the exact same thing a 1,2,3.

We refer to the measure of duration as “Time”.

12 O’Clock is not a duration, it is a POINT IN TIME!

Ranges are implied even mathematically. Maybe even only mathematically.

Well, this is terrible. You are saying that time doesn’t exist, only man’s invention, so 0point time is not a problem, and then time does exist and is not a human invention, so 0point time exists.

It’s shameless.

I never said time doesn’t exist. I specifically said time is a measure of duration.

Nature has duration.
Man starts walking the Earth.
Man creates system to measure duration, and calls it “time.”
Man creates numbers and units of measure to use to measure duration.
Man creates a clock and divided the clock into 12 hours, of which there is a point on the clock that reads “12 O’Clock.”
You come along and claim there is no point on a clock called 12 O’Clock, because watches aren’t 100% accurate.

DUH?