A diamond will always know its own worth

Just like a good person knows he is good when he sees himself alongside a bad person, similarly I think, a diamond will always know its own worth. This quote is wrong, “A diamond doesn’t know its own worth.” The fact is, a diamond will not speak of its own worth but show it! That is why we SEE the worth of a diamond in its shine. And the one who has worth, his worth will be seen, he can’t hide it, that’s why a diamond will always shine! Do you believe in this that a diamond will always know its own worth? And God is that diamond?

Hey! Man! I got my pen back from God.
It’s no use arguing with Him
Because He’ll say He was just filling it with some more ink.
Man, I’m gonna write this and
I’m gonna write that,
I’m gonna do this and
I’m gonna do that,
I’m gonna go here and
I’m gonna go there
I’m gonna try this and
I’m gonna try that
And I’m gonna paint the town red.
Yippeeeeeeeeeeee!
Hahaha! Just kidding! :smiley:

I had never heard that quote before, about diamonds not knowing. Maybe it is true. The diamond can’t see itself shining; it can only see the reflection of itself. It needs something else to show it that it shines. If it did not, than it woudn’t be a true “diamond”.

ask Nietzsche about diamonds…

-Imp

In a way you proved that the quote is right, I can’t believe that. In fact I understand the quote better now. However, I think that it will still always know its own worth because it cannot reflect without receiving say light. And as soon as it receives light, it will know without anyone showing, what it’s reflecting. Therefore, a diamond does not need a mirror to see its own reflection. It will know its worth even before it reflects. Therefore I can say that a diamond will always know its own worth.

but, suppose diamond, still, receiving light, doesn’t know the fact it is a diamond. what if it is convinced of its’ being a black hole?

Worth would refer to some type of value. Diamonds dont contain intelligence enough to understand either term. They dont know their worth, because they cant understand it. Now if for some reason you were speaking metaphorically as related to a person, the diamond still wouldnt know its worth. Noone would. Worth or value is relative when it comes to people.

Worth would refer to some type of value. Diamonds dont contain intelligence enough to understand either term. They dont know their worth, because they cant understand it. Now if for some reason you were speaking metaphorically as related to a person, the diamond still wouldnt know its worth. Noone would. Worth or value is relative when it comes to people. So people would view this persons worth differently. Though I will admit, a person will evaluate himself, and express the amount of worth that he feels he has, yet; this worth may not truly be his worth, to someone else.

To what ilativeminded is saying- yes, I immediately assumed it was a metaphor. In saying that it cannot know it’s worth without it being reflected was to say that it’s worth could be seen through it’s work or it’s positive influence on other people- something it creates would give it worth, reflect it’s value. If it’s emitting light, this light can only be actualized in the hearts of others, which is what makes it (in my conception of the idea) a “diamond”. Because it is not vain or selfish it shines brighter, more pure, the way an actual flawless diamond does shine. If it had nothing to reflect it’s worth, then it wouldn’t be shining- if it knew of it’s value without reflection, it wouldn’t be a diamond.

Simply put - diamonds don’t have minds

Metaphorically speaking, I am a DIAMOND

go figure!

Diamonds do know their own worth, they know the child labor that mines them. They know those who profit from their worth fund wars and further cruel political systems in Africa.

Very smart! The diamond knows what it has, but it knows that it has that only because of this sand beside it that doesn’t have what the diamond has. Okay? Is it clear now? So the diamond beside the sand will always know what it is and what the sand is.

The quote comes in relation to people, diamond is only an analgy. I was just trying to say that a good person beside a bad one will always know that he is good and the other bad. It’s true he’ll only be able to make the distinction if the bad is there otherwise not because bad is the basis used by good, just like good is the basis used to define bad.

Yeah! You’re right! A diamond’s value lies in its worth to another. But then, as soon as the diamond sees its worth, won’t it know that it has worth? It’s only so long as it doesn’t see itself valued or under comparison that it won’t know and that’s logical. So, if there is worth in a diamond, won’t the diamond always know that worth? Because you see even though its worth is coming through being compared to others, but as soon as the comparison is there, it will know! And if you remove the comparison then nothing can be defined period!

well, the sand beside doesn’t reflect the diamond. it is different for the observer aho sees the diamond and the sand but the diamond, unless reflected in the mirror, cannot know its real self. taken metaphorically or not. a bad person does not know it is bad compared to the rest (the average). the good person might see the difference but only through the reflection (by means of that rest enabling them to see their ‘goodness’).

lenore, ok, you’re right when you say that during the comparison, others act as ones reflection and so the person can see who or what he is. But the fact still remains that as soon as the comparison/reflection is there, the person will know himself and if the comparison isn’t there then no one’s attributes can be defined. So doesn’t it naturally follow that a diamond will always know its own worth because the comparison is there or how are we making that differentiation? Otherwise you would have to say that the sand doesn’t know who it is, the coal doesn’t know who it is, the hardships the coal goes through don’t know who they are, etc. And so if the diamond doesn’t know its own worth then no one knows who they are.

I made a mistake in my original query by the way. God cannot be this diamond because a diamond is created by the forces of nature which were God created. So, we can say that the earthly Gods like Krishna, Christ, etc., are the diamonds because they being human were created by someone else. But the universal God would be above the diamond. He could not be a diamond as He would create sustain and dissolve Himself. He would have to have this property or the question would arise, who created Him and why and how? So, our universe obviously has rules and laws that don’t allow us to understand this other universe of the universal creator. Anyway, the universal God cannot be a diamond because He would be Absolute, whereas a diamond has definition in contrast only.

god remains dead…

The Hammer Speaks

Thus Spoke Zarathustra, III: On Old and New Tablets, 29.

"“Why so hard?” the kitchen coal once said to the diamond. “After all, are we not close kin?”

Why so soft? O my brothers, thus I ask you: are you not after all my brothers?

Why so soft, so pliant and yielding? Why is there so much denial, self-denial, in your hearts? So little destiny in your eyes?

And if you do not want to be destinies and inexorable ones, how can you one day triumph with me?

And if your hardness does not wish to flash and cut through, how can you one day create with me?

For all creators are hard. And it must seem blessedness to you to impress your hand on millennia as on wax.

Blessedness to write on the will of millennia as on bronze—harder than bronze, nobler than bronze. Only the noblest is altogether hard.

This new tablet, O my brothers, I place over you: Become hard! — —"

• Nietzsche

-Imp

[size=75]So as I was saying…[/size]

[size=100]So therefore I AM A DIAMOND[/size]

:laughing:

The diamond is hard from the outside, like all animals are naturally endowed with a harder shell like the tortoise, or something else for protection from the vulnerability inside, but it could be warm and loving inside. In fact the harder it is from the outside, the softer it must be inside, wouldn’t it? Remember how people can be, “cool and poised from the outside but warm and loving inside?” So, what does Nietzsche’s soft coal have to say to that I wonder? Because the diamond in my view seems to have it all! :wink:

I don’t understand you at all. Do you understand yourself? :wink: