A Discussion of Moderation

What is considered culture in one culture is not always considered culture in another culture.

Be realistic:

Impoliteness is booming in the ILP web forum.

Impoliteness can be detected, i.e. recognized as a fact. Intolerance is harder to prove because there are too many possibilities for excuses on the side of the accused.

Probability tells me something that my experience also confirms: One can be polite and still be intolerant; but if one is impolite, one is usually also intolerant - at any rate, this is more likely to be the case than the reverse.

Intolerance is harder to fight directly than indirectly; impoliteness is easier to fight directly than indirectly; therefore impoliteness must be addressed first and directly, because that is the only way to get both, impoliteness and intolerance, under control.

If we were to start here with the solution of the problem of intolerance, most ILP members would discuss this issue almost endlessly and probably successfully to the effect that they would not be punished. That is the situation we have here.

If we were to start here with the solution of the problem of impoliteness, an important step would already have been taken to solve both problems: (1) the problem of impoliteness and (2) the problem of intolerance.

Perhaps signaling intolerance? I fail to see the value in this statement if one is serious about moving forward to arrive at some resolution. This could be seen as the reverse of colonial mentality.

Of course, impoliteness is booming here at ILP. All we can do is talk about it. We don’t have the power to change anything here. There are not enough members in the leadership to manage things effectively now.

There actually only seem to be two outcomes given what we know. The first would be that everyone just chills out and makes the most of what is left and the second is the forum dies its seemingly inevitable death as a serious platform for provoking thought and becomes a half-baked social platform…unless of course something miraculous happens. I don’t see being realistic as anything outside of these two outcomes at this point in time…do you?

I don’t see anyone rushing forward to be moderator and I don’t see any significant turnover with regard to new members replacing members that no longer take part.

Wait. …

M_.jpg
… No. … I see nothing at all.

But … wait again, please … Yes, now I see the darkness.

Those who have been suggested as (candidates for) moderators have not yet responded. Is that a bad sign? No. We have to be patient.

Sure, not a bad sign at all. My vote is still with Magnus - he seems like the most balanced choice out of all the suggestions to me. Not everyone has the same outlook.
In the meantime, I have plenty of things to do to keep me occupied, satisfied and happy - on and off the ILP site. I am happy to wait for as long as it takes.

I have been enjoying reading through a couple of conversations on here, which is a good thing.

Magnus Anderson is the only ILP member of several years who posts consistently that has not gone crazy.

I add myself here but only because I was already crazy, I didn’t become crazy at ILP.

i feel attacked

That is again a lie. And you showed nothing except your unacceptable behavior.

He is not able to understand what you say, because he is not able to behave differently from what he is used to.

He believes - like a Wild West hero - that it doesn’t bother anyone when he says he wishes others should have a bullet in their head.

=D>

You have to unfortunately go crazy here to become sane. Why? Because we weren’t taught shit. That’ll make anyone crazy, they have to climb the hill of sanity by themselves.

Magnus A is a sock-puppet… I can tell.

No way! I would never have guessed. He seems legit.

Seriously though, really?

:laughing:

I could be wrong… maybe I just find him odd. :stuck_out_tongue:

But who’s sock-puppet?

what if you found out that i was literally every account on ilp except you and that for years you’ve just been having conversations with 1 dude?

What if you found out that everyone on earth was just the same dude besides you?!

My answer to this: you better be pretty fucking impressive.

Yeah, hahaha. I wrote a big post about it yesterday but decided not to post it.

I can not imagine you being a sock puppet. There is nobody else on here that reminds me of you.

If you are, then you really do play it very well, indeed.

…good for you.

I have an amazing memory… I remember everything… let’s leave things there.

Shhhhhh…lol…good for you though, MagsJ.

Like before…I kept it to amuse myself at a later date…one more and I can say that I am officially building a collection.

:smiley:

Here’s an example of two pretty bad threads that in my opinion no forum should tolerate:

A New Ontological Argument
ilovephilosophy.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=197044

Several questions for the Trump cult followers
ilovephilosophy.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=197023

The first has a confusing opening post (I don’t think it’s just me) but that’s not the main problem. The main problem is the shit-posting of Ecmandu. He’s the author of 7 out of 14 posts in that thread and each one of his posts has little to nothing to do with the subject.

The second one is your standard Peter Kropotkin “Let’s berate conservatives” thread mixed with prom’s memes and Sculptor’s sneers. He asks a bunch of questions that noone answers because noone believes that Peter is interested in listening to what other people have to say something he proves later on in the thread when he declares that the lack of response from Trump supporters is a proof that Trumpism is an indefensible ideology.

Why would anyone want characters like these on an Internet forum (or anywhere else, for that matter)?

Please use commas where they are appropriate, Magnus Anderson.

“He asks a bunch of questions that noone answers because noone believes that Peter is interested in listening to what other people have to say, something he proves later on in the thread when he declares that the lack of response from Trump supporters is a proof that Trumpism is an indefensible ideology.”

I’m not good with commas.