A meeting with the Eternal

Hi,
Am new here.
Below an article - on an ‘event’ - which I have written sometime ago, and I would share. (it has been published in a subject-related magazine at their request)
Feedback-reflections, sharings, questions are welcome.
Regards,
jbji

A meeting with the Eternal

Many years ago I was walking down the street in a quiet area of the town. It was sunny and the gardens were green.
There was a certain awareness and sensitivity.
Then suddenly, as though new senses were opening, the presence of the eternal was there.

The word eternal' was not the outcome of conclusive reasoning or evaluation, as when you look at the skies and think "this universe must be infinite and must have always been there" and then see it according to the conceptual conclusion. It was rather like tasting honey and later calling it sweet’ for the sake of communication.
Nevertheless, the mind could exclaim with wonder: “Goodness me! There is something that corresponds to the word `eternal’!”

The body was like a fish in this ocean of multi-directional energy and indestructible, immense space, something self-sustained, completely independent and containing every sound and being.
My' identity was that and, therefore, no fear. I was not feeling high ‘and it was not an `experience’.
(Only on that day did I see what J. Krishnamurti meant
by the mind-boggling statement that you cannot experience Truth.)

It was not a momentary flash of insight' or a psychosomatic, merely personal intensity; it was a standing outside ‘of that field, as the word ecstasy' implies. I’ felt like a baby learning to crawl, to walk. My identity' could move from being responsible as a body-person’ soberly relating to another (much more sober, sane, factual than in the `normal’ state) to being that endless expanse of living space.
And it was there the whole day.

For a moment a fearful thought arose: “What if it will disappear?”
The answer was instantaneous: “It is obvious that it has always been here and it will always be here and everywhere, regardless of whether the perception of it closes its doors or not”.
The following day it was `gone’.

Seeing that it was not the result or creation of an ambitious ego and that it had nothing to do with me', there was no regret or despair upon its ending’. The me' naturally confessed its impotence’ in the face of this immensity and `prostrated’, not emotionally but as a matter of fact, before it.

Yes, it was a rare jewel, the only eternal jewel, unending Life itself…

Perhaps it was a gift. And yet at times I wonder:
"What was the point, significance of one day lived in Eternity followed by its `disappearance’? Was there anything of lasting value in this event?
Perhaps, perhaps not.”

As for its `re-appearance’, as far as I know the mere memory of it and the efforts motivated by this memory can never re-discover or re-produce it. It is not a product. The event cannot be used. And yet there it was!

But now that ‘I’ am back, I cannot help asking myself on occasion:
“This interest you have in knowing yourself, is it not motivated by this remembrance?”
I would say no.
It is more like what J. Krishnamurti once said, to the effect that a really interested man who approaches life simply and is aware of suffering, asks whether there is a different way to live.

jb

PS. Relevant to the above, in case of interest in J. Krishnamurti’s work, the following:

New film online on J. Krishnamurti’s teaching
(duration ca. 16 min.):
kfa.org/intro-video.php

Info:
kfa.org

New website on J. Krishnamurti’s teaching:
beyondthemind.net/krishnamurti-index.html

Aren’t krishas those weirdos who hang out at airports wearing funny clothes and trying to get people to deny the Truth of Jesus?

Life ends… sorry. :frowning:

Krishnamurti - Yet another Indian babbling holy man that likes to hear himself talk, yet never says anything!

Lives end. Does life end? I’m not sure.

I suppose so, since everything compounded necessarily ends. Am I talking to myself? :confused:

Talking to yourself is the best way to understand things. I do it all the time. Other people are so confused. I know exactly what I mean.

I should try it more often then. :slight_smile:

Just don’t do it out loud in public. Or if you must, get one of those bluetooth things and pretend like you’re on the phone.

I meant that our individual lives end.
In terms of all life… I can see a scenario where it all ends. (A meteor destroys earth or the Sun eats earth up)
What we define as life, hasn’t always been around.
Krishnamurti seems to be talking about infinite life. Though he likely not saying that our egos are infinite, many will take phrases like “infinite life” as pertaining to their own life, as in their ego will be infinite. This is why I say that life DOES end. It is not infinite. It is inevitable that all life on earth will be wiped out some day. Life might have left the planet by then, but the sun won’t stay the same size forever.

BTW - We all talk to ourselves. That is all we can do. Thinking is talking to yourself. We think in language. Without language, without talking to ourselves, we aren’t thinking.

Can’t we think in pictures? Or would you say that a picture, because it is finite, is logical, and because it is logical, it is in the language of logic?

I should try thinking more often. :slight_smile:

Thinking is so cool.

Weren’t you going to start a topic on this once?

I did. I posted an article by a woman named Perrini ,(sp) and maybe one by Ned Block. No one liked it. :frowning:

Sometimes I think the site should be called, idontcareaboutphilosophyjustmisguidedemotionalpoliticalopinions.com

I’ve been waiting for months for that thread, and I missed it! :frowning:

Where is it?

Have you guys watched that 17 minute Krishnamurti video on the website?

What a crock. “Blah blah blah dribble…”

ha ha ha :laughing: Totally! EmotionalMindlessDribble.com

I haven’t even read the OP. (Sorry jbji, no offsense. I’m just lazy sometimes. :blush: )

Buried about 500 threads deep amongst the misguidedemotionalpoliticalopinion threads.

Smears, You’ve started a number of thread asking for comments or questions and when someone asks those questions you fail to respond. I’ve been in a couple of them. I realize that this is just entertainment for you, but you get back what you put in. Before you blame the site, go talk to the mirror. :smiley: