Addiction Choice or Disease?

This thread is closed!

Choice by the mentally weak.

Anyone who thinks addiction is a choice should try to go hungry for a few days. Our brain needs nutrition to survive, we need nutrition to survive. Our brain will force us to go to whatever lengths necessary to get food because the alternative is death. When we take addictive substances our brain begins to form that same type of relationship with the substance. Cigarettes are addictive but they are not addictive in the same way cocaine is addictive. Cocaine and Heroine (opiates) are highly addictive substances because they deal directly in the chemicals our brain associates reward with. I’ve always though that the people who have to deal with addiction and overcome it are stronger than those who never have to battle addiction at all.

A person needs food. A person doesn’t need drugs.

Your example is poor.

Yes a person of weak mind and will power would form that same type of relationship.

Almost fall for this. I have to agree with Obnoxious above, drugs more to physiologically challenging. Without it we can NOT die in contrast to food and water. But hey, I will contemplate on your answer, quite intriguing analogy you put there. some addicts can put drugs above everything including even maintaining their own body. Good way of thinking. We all learning here.

above not *physiological but psychologically(mentally)

Ok and your point is?

I thought I already made it apparently obvious.

So you are saying that addiction in still inside the limit of human control?

I believe addiction is somthing people allow themselves to be in.

And to let go too??

Yes. It’s all about mental strength and will power.

I disagree. That’s what people often think overcoming addiction is about, and it’s why they fail over and over again to deal with addiction effectively.

If you place yourself in front of an oncoming bus, you will get run over no matter how much mental strength and willpower you have. If you want the bus to stop, you need to intelligently assess the situation for what it is. For instance you could drain the gas from the bus, or convince the driver to let you take over. Then you can just apply the brakes. All situations involve interdependent factors. Fixating on one single factor and butting heads with that factor over and over again ad infinitum doesn’t work, without complimentary changes in other respects.

So I don’t think addiction is necessarily permanent, but I don’t think it can be overcome through bullish willpower either.

Hoho this can involve some serious thought. If it is said that will power or so will prevail, this could be the ULTIMATE reason why people jump into this in the first place. I need to contemplate on this for a while…

The people that fail over and over again are the ones that are weak minded that have very little will power of their own.

I used to smoke Cuban and Dominican cigars on a daily basis where one day I quite smoking altogether cold turkey because of health issues without ever reverting back to it. How did I do it? I chose to. I did it through will power alone.

Hold on there! You need to come up with a conclusion here my friend! Hahaha, no you don’t have to, I am just kidding.

No you didn’t. You did it through willpower combined with other necessary causes and conditions that allowed you to do it. That those causes and conditions may have been completely unconsidered or unappreciated by you I don’t doubt at all.

The people that fail over and over again are the ones that are weak minded that have very little will power of their own.
[/quote]

[/quote]
Trust me my friend, I am close and want to believe on this more than ever but I am in dilemma regarding this issue. Hence I post the question. I am still contemplating…

I didn’t do what exactly? How do you know?

What do you mean by this statement?

Huh?

[/quote]
Trust me my friend, I am close and want to believe on this more than ever but I am in dilemma regarding this issue. Hence I post the question. I am still contemplating…
[/quote]
To me there is little to contemplate on the issue…