Advantages of having a National Debt ?

Is there an up-side when it comes to a country having a National Debt ?

There must be, because every country seems to have one . . . except for Norway.

Is it something to do with ’ credit ratings ’ ? . . . In other words: “In order for a country to have a good ‘credit rating’ it needs to consistently borrow and pay back money ?”

Well, I think the most obvious upside is that it lets countries spend more money than they have – Wars and such are very expensive, and they also usually aren’t the sort of thing you can plan for*. Also, nothing gets a country out of a recession like spending like a madman. Again, very few countries bank on having a recession in a few years.

So, an easy fix, plus the short-sightedness that regular democratic elections forces, means that that easy fix is gonna be used a lot. Borrow, borrow, borrow and let the next schmuck who gets elected deal with it.

• Not entirely true, actually. A lot of post-WWII military equipment, such as missiles, tend to ware out after 10-odd years. If they do ware out, than it would suggest that we are spending too much money on the military – clearly not in the interest of the military-industrial complex. So, there has always been some sort of conflict America has been involved in every 10-odd years since WWII. But few other countries have that particular concern.

That sounds like a clever thing to do.

Are you saying economys are organic (like plants) and that they have to grow or die? Aren’t we supposed to be smarter than plants?

P.S. - Also, is there one group of people who benefit the most from the fact that the Entire World is in debt ?

Heh. Too true.

As for the benefit, a lot of national debt is a giant, multinational circle-jerk. France owes the US money, the US owes Japan money, Japan owes China money, China owes the US money . . . and so on and so on.

So, a lot of it is just money from nothing, just people having imaginary values changing hands. I do think that this sort of a web is a good thing for international peace. Look at how quickly N. Korea came to the table after their accounts in Macau got frozen. It has been observed that countries who trade with one another rarely (if ever) go to war with each other, and debt is usually part-and-parcel with trade.

However, there are clear beneficiaries in this system. Since money is essentially being created ex nihilo and given out as contracts to multinationals, the multinational corporations definitely benefit from this. Also, the banks that mediate these exchanges probably make a fat profit.

But I don’t think that we need to point to any sort of conspiracy. The rich and powerful tweaking the system to ensure that they get even richer and more powerful is a story as old as humanity itself.

I had been looking for information on this previously, but failed because I couldn’t find the correct term. Specifically, I was looking for the term used to describe ’ The Opposite of National Debt '. . . A google of that phrase comes up blank. It would be interesting to find out if ’ National Debts ’ and ’ National ???s ’ cancel each other out or not.

Not if you’re a Muslim . . . I think we should all become Muslims (financially speaking at least).

What’s the war all about again?. . . Oh yea, that’s right, terrorism.