Adverts defile Free Market values

“Free” in “free market” is not the same as “free” in “free will.” That’s why you cannot use the former to “philosophically [critique]” the latter.

I did not refer to any authority on the matter. Rather, I’m using common sense: “free” in free market refers to less government regulation, if not none at all. It does not refer to the wide range of definitions for “freedom” as discussed in philosophy.

The problem isn’t that they “have not philosophy deconstructed the concept of freedom” (if that is even possible) but that they’re not aware that their free market is neither free nor a free market. That is, market pressures is what leads to advertising, and as more wealth and power is concentrated among a few, more advertising.

That’s why advertising doesn’t defile free market values but result from them, and they worsen as fewer competitors emerge. The only way to avoid not just more advertising but even oligopolies is gov’t regulation, but they can’t accept that, either.

The word “free” is used because it’s a lot shorter than “a market with less government regulations, if not none at all,” but that doesn’t mean that “free” should only be used philosophically!

That argument is completely wrong because that means “free” can only be used in the broadest terms!

I’m not referring to the former but the latter, and what I’m saying is that the latter is wrong: ads don’t defile free market values but result from them. Do I have to explain that to you again?

I agree, but you have to understand that your thread isn’t about that.

Your support for businesses showing the least ads relies on market pressures if you experience lower revenues or higher costs by viewing more ads.

Again, ads don’t defile free market values because those values are determined by market pressures, not a blanket definition of “freedom” that you keep insisting upon.

Your last point is wrong because ads are shown as a result of market pressures, as you admitted earlier. That’s why ads don’t defile free market values but result from them.

Your biggest mistake was to admit that ads are shown because of market pressures. That puts to question your claims that I am desperately cleaving to definitions or relying on authority or giving a false exclusionary. Rather, I’m using what you admit against you.

Do you now see how you’re contradicting your argument? A free market leads to a lack of freedom because it increases customer exposure to ads. That’s why ads don’t defile free market values but result from them. If you want less advertising, then you will not gov’t regulation, and that is what defiles free market values.

What you should have done was explain why free markets lead to more freedom for business owners but less for customers, not to mention workers. But that’s not about free markets but about free market capitalism.

Finally, this also reveals cracks in the so-called “freedom ideology” espoused by U.S. citizens if it turns out that they want more goods and services to choose from (which means less gov’t regulation) but don’t want a lot of ads (which means more gov’t regulation). But they will understand that only if they realize that ads don’t defile free market values but result from market pressures which define those values (in short, the opposite of what you’ve been claiming). With capitalism, what’s added to those values include maximizing profits and ROIs.

FWIW, businesses have been doing that for decades. Hence, “hidden persuaders,” product placement, and connected points, such as planned obsolescence.

Actually, it is. Otherwise, businesses wouldn’t spend on it.

Also, please explain your last sentence, and if possible, cite sources from those who study advertising.

Yes, though I am not sure why you are telling me this.

The bulk of commercials, for example, is not information, it is symbolic association, lies, implications, manipulation, entertainment to elicit feelings to get one to buy for reasons that have nothing to do with informaiton aobut the products. THIS is why they advertise. Information may be as minimal as the brand name, so you know what to buy after you have been bombarded by the rest.

Also, please explain your last sentence, and if possible, cite sources from those who study advertising.
[/quote]
I just did above. If their goal was simply to inform, the kinds of advertising they create are poorly contructed, unnecessarily complicated and explensive, radically incomplete and so on. There is advertising with almost no information, because information is often not needed to sell products - except that tiny minimum that let’s you know what you have been manipulated to think you need or is good.

To flatly say that advertising is about information is like saying a politician’s speech is used to relay information.

If that’s what a politician’s speech is.for, it is being used terribly for this purpose. It is doing other things and for successful politicians, doing these things well.

Because what you believe we “could learn” has been done for decades. The idea of hidden persuaders was raised way back in the late 1950s. Planned obsolescence was observed during the mid-1920s.

The information part comes in when you become aware that there is such a product available. They obviously include more so that consumers will notice them.

One can, of course, imagine a business insisting on some principle to provide only information (like a spec sheet) on their product, and on top of that, be as honest as possible about what they’re selling, and then imagine it succeeding such that competitors follow suit.

That’s when you go to a store and look at the contents or spec sheets and ask questions. Of course, you can choose not to do that, but that also means you will probably always act on impulse whether or not you are shown ads.

Don’t confuse less information with no information. You have the brand and the product itself in terms of appearance, just as a politician’s speech refers to a topic. If you want to know more, then investigate.

I can’t understand what you are saying here. Are you arguing that speeches should do more than just inform, which implies that advertisements should do the same, or that they don’t inform, which is also what advertisements do?

Sure, this I knew. What I meant by…

[emphasis added now]includes the idea of learning first in general - iow most people - and further the idea that it is unacceptable, negative, immoral (for those who think in moral terms. That there becomes a critical mass of distaste for the way advertising is made, it’s purpose, etc. And this affects advertising’s effectiveness. IOW posts like Mowk’s and other communication like this affects attitudes and people do not put up with it. That is, learn all the judgments explicit in my quote above, not the technical skills or just about the technical skills that are used to make advertising effective manipulative shit, but that it is manipulative shit.

I bolded part, because you said advertising was information, period. Now you are saying that information is a part. Well, that’s a big step in the direction I have been pushing for. Further I have made it clear that there is some minimal information in advertising and what that needs to be. Your explanation above, what you are telling me, I have already said about the information part.

Actually I don’t think so. It is only because we have these companies screaming at us a lot of manipulative shit, that a new company, say, needs to do more than give information. It is in the current context that to be noticed companies tend to need this. Some do manage to get by on word of mouth and influential customers. But given the current state of things, and that, in general, given people’s having given up or not really thought about it, current attitudes present no loss for creating manipulative shit, yes, it is necessary to compete. It need not be like that.

Which would likely require shifts in the attitudes of customers and potential ones.

There are all sorts of product comparisons out there and our impulses could shift to using these as step one. This would take a more generalized allowing of reactions like Mowk’s to spread, people encouraging his reactions to what advertising is. There would also, likely, have to be political discourse fights against how the corporations react to this in the media they primarily control.

But I haven’t. I have said a few times that there is some information in advertising.
I someone says X is B.
and I say that mainly X is not B, though there is a minimal amout of B in X, then I have not said
there is no B in X.

I am saying that most of what political speeches are is not information and, now I am futher adding, not logical argument. It is manipulative shit. Heck, I might even agree with the goal of the political speech inquestion. But what it nearly always is is mainly, mainly, symbolic triggers, manipulative use of metaphors and other rhetotical devices, emotional framing and so on. Yes, there is information in there, but

if we were to flatly describe political speeches as information.

A political speech’s purpose is to distribute information, period.

Our description is primarily false.

There generally is some information in political speeches, but the bulk is not information, it is manipulative shit. Even if this is for good purposes by whoever is judging.

Advertising uses primarily non-information to sell it’s products. Yes, the companies need you to know which product to buy. So, they give the minimal information so you can find their product. But they, in the main, do not use information in the advertising. Advertising is primarily symbolic and emotional triggers, implicit non-logical or illogical justifications, entertainment, lies, misleading associations or false associations, cognitive manipulative in general. That is the bulk of what advertising is.

The more we tell ourselves this must be what advertising is because the only way to change is to damage free speech or otherwise assume that advertising like this is simply inevitable, a lesser evil, we play into the hands of corporations that view us as meat with credit cards.

Well, that is the main goal of advertising. Were you expecting otherwise?

I didn’t write “period.” What I wrote is, “Advertising is a means to inform the public about goods and services available and to encourage them to patronize companies whose products are being promoted.” That doesn’t mean that they won’t resort to “manipulative shit.” Rather, they can’t manipulate people into buying something without informing them what’s being sold.

There’s your information. The same goes for a politician who manipulates people into believing in something. The fact that he has to tell them what that something is means that he’s informing them.

In which case, if what you want is information without manipulation, then read product labels and spec sheets. Don’t waste your time implying that advertising should be such.

No, they do that so that ads will be noticed. Look up Packard’s Hidden Persuaders.

Or cause them to move to competitors.

Those comparisons are not done using ads. Don’t insist on turning ads into what they should not be, such as product labels and spec sheets.

Of course, there will always be information in ads, which is what I’ve been telling you. Otherwise, how can businesses manipulate people into buying things without telling them what to buy?

If your concern is manipulation, then you’re wasting your time, because ads are supposed to do that.

Of course, which is what one should expect from speeches! If you want mostly information, read reports. If you want only information, then go for data sets.

You’re wasting time trying to force advertisers and even those who give speeches not to use rhetorical devices.

What are you looking for? Politicians who speak like robots, read from figures, and then let you make your own conclusions. Then stop listening to speeches because they are supposed to do the opposite and go over spreadsheets by yourself.

Of course! Why are you expecting otherwise? Did you want only performance measures? Read consumer surveys. Contents? Read product labels or schematics. Specifications? Read spec sheets. Whatever you do, don’t insist on making ads what they shouldn’t be.

Must be? You must be kidding.

Damage to free speech? Of course not, unless you have this absurd view that free speech is speech that’s free of any manipulation!