Advice

Hello fellow thinkers,

I am a 16 year old student with the future on his mind. Even with the ammount of thinking I do, I have come to an impassable wall. I want to go to university, I want to be knowledgeable, and I want to make a good living ($). For a while now I wanted to start a career in Law because I love argueing and I love politics, and yet that same love for arguement shares a passion for scholarly affairs and philosophy. I was just going to take a minor in Philosophy, but I was scared that I would have no future with philosophy if I did so.

Then I started thinking of getting a doctorate in philosophy, but I am worried about graduating and then not finding a job with new diploma. I really wouldn’t mind teaching at a university level, but the odds of me landing that job don’t seem too good. Finally, I’ve always loved writing, and many people (family, friends, teachers) tell me I will write a book before I know it. Again, the career of a writer would be rather poor until I get any books published, which seems a long shot.

With all these interests, I just don’t know what I am going to do with myself. I am worried of landing a job I won’t like and at the same time I don’t want to end up poor; I guess you could call the latter a phobia.

Anyway, do you enlightened people have any wisdom to spare on how I should procede through university and/or what career to take?

get your BA in philosophy and then your law degree or grad degree…

-Imp

Learn how to not be an asshole. Your life runs smoother, no matter what you do, if you don’t piss people off. Oh yeah, and read The 48 Laws Of Power. If you’re interested in politics, you’d best read that followed by The Prince and The Art Of Worldly Wisdom. Maybe even Hagakure and The Art Of War just to be safe.