America

I don’t support everything our nations done but Economic explotation headed by the private sector and then consented to by the U.S. government doesn’t count as Colonialism or Imperialism.

Hell if we truly were imperialistic back in those days we could of just marched through the yucatan pennisula through those bannana Republics Etc.

We were in a posistion after the Mexican-American(see the distinction between the two names) War to Take control of Mexico. The main reason they didn’t was because it would have given to much power to the southern states.

Didn’t you?

I guess you just named half of the geographic locations in your country in Spanish for the phonetic effect!

Yeah, but they didn’t take it all over.

[/quote]
I get your point, but it is a little shakey to claim self-restraint over the allocation of how much Mexico was be expropriated.

It would be kind of like a briton saying “Imperialistic?! But we gave India back, didn’t we?”

:laughing: That’s something I’ve been planning on looking into The British Raj.

I like Rudyard Kipling and feel like giving the people on the school board a peace of my mind for teaching student that “The White mans Burden” was supposed to be taken literally, when in truth it’s tounge in cheek.

Damn political correctness.

The English were masters of being assholes to everyone, and yet not suffering a reputation of an imperialist Slavemaster so much. Impressive I guess considering our nations size, largest empire in history. Although as a Brit you do feel ashamed by the actual history, you can at least take comfort in the fact everyone was doing it. American imperialism has to be way more subtle than it is to get away with what is basically “blue blooded” murder. :slight_smile:

Do you think the British Empire was really all that bad?

I don’t think America thought of itself as Imperialistic or colonialist–in the 19th century, they were good ol’ capitalist entrepreneurs who subjugated and exploited the native peoples of Central America in order to make an ‘honest dollar.’ It was kind of an off-shoot of manifest destiny and no one really cared one way or another in the US–just keep those bananas and pineapples flowing.

Look what it did to the Australian Maori’s who still have to fight for rights in their own land.

What consitutes as having the right to land?

Having your ancestors live there?

Don’t you beleive in the rights of the conquerers?

What is your stance on the rights of the Germans to live in and administer Poland?

I don’t know, Poland seems to do reasonably good seeing as how the German reich, the Austrian Empire and the Russians had constantly been trying to take control of Poland for centuries.

As the Germans(and the Russians) were unable to keep control of the Land they “conquered” Id say neither have a right to rule it.

Damn… Good answer.

Yes but history is written by the victors and of course there was no 24 hour media then.

I haven’t researched into it, so I don’t have much of an opnion on it.

I suppose I should seeing as how it was the most recent Empire.

Yeah we were nasty bastards on the whole, European colonisation generally is horrific though, although that is no excuse. Is it true Americans are massively up on American history but the rest of the worlds history kind of passes them by until college? Shame that. Personally I’m far more interested in world history, being as I studied subjects at school that relate to ancient/classical times. I do dabble in more modern stuff out of interest though.

All three of us whould get together and make a thread on some Empire of Antiquity.

How so? With Britain specifically.

I don’t know if I’d say the’re really well read on american history but even less so the rest of the world.
I’d blame the time contraints the classes have rather then the ability of the teachers to teach.
They always seemed a notch below amazment at how much I “knew”, which is a bit sad because I didn’t believe I “knew” that much which means the average kid must of “known” even less.
I’d say this quote rings true,
“War is God’s way of teaching Americans geography.
Ambrose Bierce”
It seems that the majority of the time when we learned about another part of the world was when our forefathers were fighting a war there.
Perhaps this changes in the higher grades, seeing as how I never made it passed 10th grade my sophmore year (but I doubt it).

I also have a great interest in historry, I’d say my fascination with the military and war is a part of that. This quote sums it it up very well for me.
“War makes rattling good history; but Peace is poor reading.
-Thomas Hardy”

To be honest though this barely scratches the surface, direct actions where we massacred unarmed people under our rule are gruesome reading.

guardian.co.uk/books/2005/dec/27/eu.turkey

Colonialism was a brutal business. The Dutch for example gave a gift of blankets infected with yellow fever to American natives, which wiped out hundreds of thousands of people. Honestly the Europeans have seen some utterly abysmal conduct. Whitewashed by the victor.

We came we saw we conquered, and then brutally repressed entire indigenous people to keep the trade flowing home.

I’ll leave you with this quote from Mark Curtis, a Historian.

Those seem like oddly brutal reprisals.

Wasteful in the extreme.

I’ll make sure to research into it.