an interpretation of the Christian mythos

I was pretty stoned the other night and I had this extremely morbid insight on how to interpret the Christian myth. Please read that again: I was stoned - so this is not to be taken in any seriousness.

To begin: God creates man and sees that he sins. He sees him sinning over and over again, having to take measures to put him back on the right path (either by wiping out whole groups, inflicting punishment, chosing one ‘sinless’ individual and starting over with him). This makes no sense to God. Why is his creation constantly failing to live up to his expectations time and time again?

It’s reminiscent of the architect from The Matrix. He created the whole thing, thought that man wouldn’t pose a problem, that he would conform to the system, and that everything would be perfect. But time and time again, man fouls up the system. An ‘anomaly’ keeps arising. Why? What is it about man that the architect is missing? Is it his free will? Is it his lack of omniscience? Is it the fact that he is not always calculating like a computer and sometimes listens to his passions despite how irrational?

God soon comes to understand, like the architect, that the problem is that he has no idea what its like to be human. He has no insight into what its like to be fallible, to be limited, and to suffer. Thus the ultimate solution is to become human and live a human life.

Now a bit of metaphysics: As God, he is outside the universe, and therefore outside time. In this state, he occupies all time in a quasi-static form. As man, he takes a form that resides in the universe, and in time. Thus, when God comes down to Earth as Christ, he is going to be doing a bit of ‘time traveling’. We shall see how this works out.

So Christ is born. He grows up. He preaches. He carries with him, through his life, the wisdome of God the father. The project, however, could not be complete unless he experiences fully what it is to be human; he must experience the worst of humanity. As humans, we torture each other, we crucify each other - that is the crux of the problem after all. So he must experience what it’s like to be crucified. One can only imagine how, as a God who has never experienced suffering like this, it must have struck him.

But the story goes further: not only did Christ have to suffer on the cross, but he had to spend some time in Hell thereafter. Remember that in a Christian context, the human condition is spelt out a little differently: suffering at the hands of man in bodily form is not the worst fate man could endure. Man’s soul is subject to the flames of Hell, in which case his condition must be defined in terms much more horrid than any earthly inflictions of vice could exemplify. So even after suffering on the cross, God as man must endure the experience of Hell.

Now here’s where some time travel is required: it is said that he resided in Hell for 3 days and then arose from death and returned to the Earth. But in my trip, I imagined this was only 3 earthly days. The truth, according to my trip, was that he suffered in Hell until the last days, and when he returned on these days, it constituted his ‘second coming’. Now one can only imagine what his conclusion must have been - after having suffered not only on the cross but for at least 2000 years in Hell, and having not the faintest idea what to expect of the experience prior to undergoing it - now that the whole affair had come to an end (I imagine it like the character Julia from Hellraiser 2 coming back to Earth by rising up out of a pool of blood - the way she’s shaking and has to get ahold of herself). He could only have concluded: if this is what it is to be man, he must be put out of his misery.

Hence, the end of the world. He brings it about. Then he proceeds to time travel back to 3 days after his crucifixion and resumes living in his old body. Only at this point in the New Testament does he first disclose the revelations about the end of the world. How could he at any other point; at any point before this time, the question of what was to be done with man was undecided; only after undergoing the necessary experience, and then executing the solution, could he tell of what is to come at the end of days; it wasn’t so much some kind of precognitive foresight, but the fact that he was there, that he executed it.

Then, after revealing to his desciples all that he deemed was necessary to reveal, he ascended, and once again took the form of God the father.

Like all drug induced trips, the story seemed a lot more shocking at the time, but I still think this says something rather interesting (notwithstanding that it’s grounded on nothing but flights of fancy under the influence of intoxicants, and that there’s probably more than a few inconsistencies in it), and that is that, in the end, the Devil turns out to be right. His whole protestation against God was that man is flawed to the extent that his very creation was a mistake. If God’s conclusion is that man must be destroyed, then what else can we say but that Satan was right after all.

Christianity does not infer or imply anywhere that god is not all knowing, there would be no reason for god to become human to see what it was like.

i think we are dealing with a fairy story, stoned or not stoned.

Hello, little reptile.

If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales.
Albert Einstein

Although I thoroughly enjoyed “The Lion King” I absolutely loved Beauty and the Beast. Now there is a fairy tale that I thoroughly dived into. I was at one and the same time, Belle and the Beast. Don’t discount the fairy tale for what it can give you and teach you…even the fairy tales in the bible.

dear monster baby-------l like bambi. the problem is that adults continue to believe the bible fairy stories.

I am monster baby? :laughing: And what monster would that be? :-" I like bambi too and when i saw bambi’s mom get shot to death I cried and cried and before that, i cursed and cursed at the horrid man who killed her…as if that would bring her back.

I think what we adults need to do is question ?WHY? we believe. And why is it that we do not go any further than that? That is the point at which i think those fairy tales and bible stories come alive for us, as they have to. But they are really only wonderful tools, perhaps drills that create little holes in us so that what lies within our subconscious minds may address our consciousness. Or mirrors that reflect a part of who we really are but fail to see because we don’t want to.

We say “Mirror mirror on the wall, who’s the fairest of them all?” And who do we see…ourselves as we choose to, but we don’t see those maks or behind the masks we wear because then without a doubt we might have to go within the fairy tale and discover it’s true nature…the horror and the beauty behind it and us.

So let us hear it for fairy tales and christian myth. Here Here! Or is it Hear Hear!

:happy-jumpeveryone: :greetings-clappingorange: :greetings-clappingyellow: :greetings-clapyellow:

i have a fairy story. the monster baby is that damn lizard with those things flapping.
that monster makes good points. what do you see when you look at the mirror on wall.

I like it - most thoroughly. =D>

The fairy tales of the Bible do indeed carry valuable lessons, and it is only when one forgets they are fairy tales that such lessons are dangeroulsy misinterpreted. I can’t believe for a second that one grows up still believing them unless there is some kind of community pressure to believe. I can’t believe that one goes from childhood innocently buying into the stories to adolescence without at least questioning them. How on Earth do such questions end up regressing back to child-like answers? Does intelligence actually degrade? Or does one’s commity - one’s peers, family, authorities, teachers - pressure one back into the box of child-mindedness until one finally surrenders and stops fighting it?

Love the Einstein quote BTW.