Ants can talk!

Maybe ants know English (or any other language), it’s just that they choose not to/do not talk to humans or any other animals (including other ants) for whatever reasons, such as they hold humans and other animals in contempt or they speak so softly that it would be nearly impossible to hear them.

Ants do not have the physiological components commonly required for speech (i.e. larynx- however, if they do then even more proof for this argument), but take for instance guitarists who play special guitars that can emulate human voices to the point of forming words or sounds that can be recognized by others. The sounds recognized as words are formed by the physical contact of the guitarist’s fingers and the strings of the guitar- no larynx needed. So therefore ants could produce audible language by rubbing together their mandibles, legs, or any other body part in a perhaps complex way that would recreate sounds recognized as language.

One might question how do ants learn language in the first place? Just as ants have the instincts to build colonies and gather food, they have the instincts to possess language.

Of course this is purely metaphysical (except for the references to the guitarists), but it is something interesting to discuss, so what are your responses?

… …

this is a very interesting post. and not because ants can talk, they cant. dont be insulted by this, its actually a compliment. your lack of knowledge about ants, brains, and physiology (and a shallow estimation of your intelligence based on that) does not line up with your perfectly correct and elaborate use of words. nobody can blame you for knowing nothing about larynxes and ants, but id judge you more on your verbal skills anyway. i just think the difference is striking, thats what im trying to say.

ants definetely cant talk, they barely have brains and not even monkeys are capable of understanding fundamental grammar and syntax. what ive always wondered, which i think is kind of on the same line as this, is that the general stupidity of animals is based on the fact that their brains have gradually slid down a slope of functionality. they do not lack large fundamental capabilities, but for example their memory is extremely limited, this can affect their math (syntax recognizing) abilities indirectly.

what im saying is that if you can imagine living in a world where you only remember things for a very short period of time, and you only permanently remember things when they happen at least 20 times and only when you are very clearly provided with nerve signals (originating from a tasty treat from your master), you might just act exactly like a dog, with full human consciousness. the only difference between man and animals is a gradual decrease in the memory. learning capabilities and all or most other brain skills are an offshoot of a few fundamentals.

what does anybody know about that. i know this idea has been argued about and some book i read seemed to believe it wasnt true.

I’m was an Ant as a Second Language student at Backyard U. I flunked out in my junior year 'cause the professor was a hag, so I got some powder and firecrackers and annihilated her and all of her family 40 times removed. I even whacked the colony next door just for spite, plus they’d always make fun of my accent. The hardest part was handing in the written assignments.

I appreciate both comments, both intellectual or clever and sardonic. Here are some “Interesting Facts About Ants” as follows:

Fire ant colonies “average 80,000 workers, but colonies of up to 240,000 and more have been reported” [Steve Tvedten, The Best Control (2nd Edition)]. “An ant brain has about 250 000 brain cells. A human brain has 10,000 million so a colony of 40,000 ants has collectively the same size brain as a human.
Ant brains are largest amongst insects. An ant’s brain may have the same processing power as a Macintosh II computer. Thousands of years ago, King Solomon wrote: ‘Go to the ant, consider its ways and be wise’” (Moore, thaibugs.com/thaibugs.htm ).

So based upon the preceding information displayed above, comments made by “Future Man” could be interpreted as remarks produced by one with a propensity to say that ants “barely have brains” as most people in fact do say despite the valid statements presented above. This is certainly not an affront to your credibility, just a critical examination of your statements that support your argument.

You further go on to explain the “general stupidity of animals.” The “stupidity” of animals may be amplified by the notion that “learning a language after the critical age of language acquisition means that [animals] will have trouble learning the grammar of that language” ( fortunecity.com/greenfield/t … ughts.html ).

In regards to your statement on the memory capacity of animals I mostly agree. Vladimir Pravosudov from the Department of Psychology at the University of California states that “memory is critically important for animals’ existence and survival” ( psyweb2.ucdavis.edu/labs/Pravosu … search.htm ). Therefore, memory must be of adequate necessity to retain some information vital to the survival of an individual. I do not disagree with your statements referenced here, but would mainly support them.