Anyone know who wrote this?

This was found scrawled on the walls of a cellar in Cologne,
Germany, where Jews had hidden from the Nazis, even has a reference:

I believe in the sun even when it is not shining
I believe in love even when feeling it not
I believe in God even when God is silent

Eliezer L. Erhmann, ed., Readings in Modern Jewish History: From the American Revolution to the Present, p. 232.
[/quote]
Just wanted to follow up. Looks like about all there is to find. I think my supposition about someone “finishing it off” is a good deal more likely now. The first and last lines were used with 4 others inserted.

COURAGE and what is best in humanity wrote THAT.

Poignant. All the more for its context. Foolish, heroic, stubborn. All the qualities that make mankind at once great and also ensure its continued tragedy.

"Tab

We cannot know this as of yet, Tab.

Look over at your squiggly quilly - it is STILL writing yet, right?

Many squiggly wiggly squiggles yet to be written and tragedy is yet just another facet of life and a strong aspect of humanity.

What else is there?

I often wonder how I would have been in a concentration camp, how I would have felt, how I would have reacted, or if not, how I might have been if I were not Jewish or…but might have helped with the chance of being imprisoned there myself.

Dead or dying I expect. Wracked by hunger, fear and desperation. An animal’s life, not a human’s. What would the chimps in the cages in the labs scratch on the floors…? If they could but write…?

There is nothing romantic or enlightening about death. If there were, it would be a state harder to achieve.

I wasn’t actually coming from the question in a romantic sense - and you find NOTHING enlightening about death or the concept of death?

Ask me in about 40 years, or 50 if I’m lucky, I’ll tell you then. I’d rather be enlightened by life. Afterall, that’s something I can experience.

I was asking the question as an existentialist, not a romanticist - though i am both.

yes i do agree with you but they are after all 'kissing cousins" :laughing:

ah, by the way, you can also experience ‘death’ tab in dribbles. it helps prepare you for that final moment. death can also be the “horses” which push the carriage of “life” in a manner of speaking.

Yes, courage and what is best in humanity–anonymously. How many heroes are lost every day without any knowledge of their courage, or what some have done to save the lives, livelihoods of others and/or promote their freedom. Integrity is doing the right thing when everyone is watching, as well as when no one is.

I am finding a lot of references to:

Which is the same as the second, three-line bit. But it is attributed to a ghetto in Warsaw, no Cologne. I can’t find anything on the larger one.

Me either. But there is that reference for Cologne, and I’ve just ordered a copy of the reference to check it out. So many Internet uses of quotations of this and many other quotes have no reference, so this really make it the most credible scenario. Nobody can’t claim I’m not dogged. Ok, obsessed maybe.

I don’t believe in destiny
or the guiding hand of fate
I don’t believe in forever
or love as a mystical state
I don’t believe in the stars or the planets
or angels watching from above
but I believe there’s a ghost of a chance
we can find someone to love
and make it last

-Neil Peart

(“don’t believe in the stars or the planets”?)

O/W, I agree with it; but then again, is it profound or poetic enough to have it chiseled on your tombstone?

Astrology.

Oh.