Art and Religion

What I have presented are recognized facts.

In a way, the world’s great religions did arise within a certain period of say 5000 years or 10,000 years. Note Hinduism [the early Vedas] arose more than 10, 000 years.
Yes, during this period, there was a flourishing of arts from these religions.
You should have qualified this in your OP earlier on, but regardless;
the principle remain, the arts that follow was driven by the inherent artistic drives of SOME of the believers and not because of the religion directly.
Religion preceded the arts and NOT vice versa.

Note the control point:
There is not only art in religion but in every field of human activities and knowledge since the artistic drive in human emerged tens of thousands years ago.

The oldest known cave paintings are more than 44,000 years old (art of the Upper Paleolithic), found in both the Franco-Cantabrian region in western Europe, and in the caves in the district of Maros (Sulawesi, Indonesia).
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cave_painting

Therefore you cannot jump to conclusion that ‘religion’ during the said axial period was responsible for the arts that followed.

I did not take the story of Abraham literally.

I am highlighting the following principle.

My point was, with fear of the existential crisis and God providing the relief, believers will go to the worst extremes to secure that relief from the crisis [re a promise of eternal life in heaven].

This is evident from human sacrifices to please the gods within human history;
then we have Muslims who sacrificed their own lives to expedite their passage to eternal life in paradise, and the range of sacrifices [property, time, finance, social, knowledge, etc.] believers are willing to make for their God [which is an illusion].

So much to the axial age.

You can see the error in your thinking by just acknowledging that you don‘t have to be an artist to appreciate art. Then you say that religion precedes art, whilst giving me an example where art has been found preceding [by far] the axial age.

What I believe is that art and religion went hand in hand throughout the development of mankind and became equally sophisticated as time went on. In fact, religion without art seems to be dead religion, and the beginning of religious ideology. Living faith (in whatever) has found expression in various forms of art, and this has been the subjects of devotion of millions. Note: art is not just painting. So all I am doing is saying that I believe that religion is a form of expression that goes hand in hand with artistry using various methods of expression.

But that isn’t the issue is it. You have already shown that art in a primitive form was around 44,000 BCE, so it wasn’t anything new for it to be around in a more sophisticated way later.

Well, talking about “chopping off” someone’s head, which wasn’t the sacrificial method, does seem to suggest that.

I see my case as proven.

:text-merryxmas:

Nope!
What is an ‘alive’ religion is grounded on its founder and holy texts under the direction of God or otherwise.
Art is secondary to the above.

Note that art discovered to be 40,000 years old is not attributed to religion.
The axial age range from 10000, 5000 or 3000 years ago.
Therefore arts preceded religions which arose during the “axial” age.

The point was Abraham was willing to kill and sacrifice his son to God.
This is the principle re the test of faith of a believer in God.

I don’t have much respect for Armstrong’s intellectual credibility which is full of confirmation bias.
Armstrong was merely an ex-nun [sister] in a monastery who happened to read selectively and write a lot without much substance and groundings.

:text-merryxmas:

Despite what the conversation with Prismatic brought forth, I am experiencing the connection of religion/spirituality with art in many ways. I intend to bring more contributions, because I see the problem of religion in the devaluation of the broad spectrum of art.

If anyone has contributions, please feel welcome …