Becoming

Becoming

I think that one of the most important things that we were never taught, but is essential, is that we must understand our source. I mean that we must grasp what adaptation and natural selection has caused us to be within our unconscious. When we learn what we are we can then learn how what we have become may be dramatically contrary to what we are. Did I say that right?

We are evolved to act and react. Today we act by watching TV. Thus becoming an actor in that we sense a situation but are not any longer reactors to the perception. Imagine what difference it would be if somehow the media took us by the hand and open a door and shoved us in. Instead of viewing every two minutes a different scene we were to be every two minutes shoved into a happening.

We were evolved to be creatures that react to our world but now the extension of the media has made us actors without reaction. Those people who think about such things call such a situation to have made us narcissistic. Part of being narcissistic is being numb and passive.

coberst wrote:

I think your somewhat correct. And ultimately, this more passive, narcissistic behavior will make us learn faster. Being that the reaction has been abated in ourselves towards reality, it still will come forth in our action. The action, being more salient will produce more salient reaction, ie. cause and effect. Basically, the harsher we are in our action due to our desensitization to the effects of these actions as viewed, will produce harsher results in our real lives. This will inevitably make us view the harsh way reality really works as compared to the media, teaching us to grow away from these performed actions.

So what is this post about? I guess this is why there is a Philosophy (Heavily Moderated) section. I’m not sure but if I get what you are saying you maybe touching upon Baudrillard’s hyperreality. I would suggest reading this Wiki, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperreality, and then reading Simulacra and Simulation.

Ill….

The body has a central control center that maintains balance and equilibrium throughout the whole body. Shock is a medical term that indicates that the central control system has determined that insufficient blood flow is available throughout the body and the control system responds by decreasing the blood flow to less important organs so that sufficient flow is available for survival of the most important organs.

Dentists utilize a device known as ‘audiac’ wherein the patient puts on a headphone that permits her to turn up the volume sufficiently to mask the pain of the drill. What happens is that the central control system, in an attempt to maintain system equilibrium, will ‘autoamputate’ other senses when one sense is issuing too large a volume of input. The audio sense has overloaded the ability of the body to accommodate any more input so other senses are silenced because one sense has taken up all the sensory bandwidth. The pain caused by the drill is deleted by central control.

The Greek myth Narcissus speaks to human experience and this phenomenon of ‘autoamputation’. In the Greek language ‘narcosis’ means numbness. The youth Narcissus mistook his own reflection in the water to be another person.

coberst wrote:

Indeed, but the examples you have provided dont contain a temporal change in the two sensations. Simply because we are numbed at one point in time to specific sensations, doesnt mean this numbing is as salient after time has passed. Degrees of this numbness still exist, but not nearly as strong as if both sensations were occuring at the same time.

Its possible that if I go to another dentist, and he doesnt have this device, that I can resort back to the feelings I encountered when I was intially under the effects of the device, but the salience of the audiac sensation wont be perceived, because it is now only a mental represenation. Some reaction, no matter how minimal, is still inevitable.

Also, my initial comments should still be considered, for this balance is maintained outside of our bodies as well, and comes back in the form of karmic distribution, or if you rather it described, cause and effect.

coberst wrote:

arche?

telos?

HEGEL! maybe?

I read lots of different authors. I could not say from which a particular paragraph is sourced.

Ill…

If the numbing effect develops when we watch TV, since we constantly watch TV, the numbing is almost constant and becomes a habit.

I do not understand the meaning of “karmic” or cause and effect in your last paragraph.

coberst wrote:

What Im basically saying is, there is a cause and effect to everything. I personally believe the effect to vibrate at the same intensity of the cause. When applied to this discussion, even though we may be numb to the outside world, we still must go out and “act” in it. When we do, this numbness is disturbed by all too real reactions to our actions, denumbing us.