Being out of alignment with the universe

Hi Ned,

Am I judgemental? Probably more than I should be, but the real judgements I make is when someone crosses the line and presents their opinion as fact that declares my POV as being wrong. On that I’m damn well judgemental, and I have no problem declaring that “judgement” that they (whoever they are) needs to back off.

If you want to say you’re right, peachy keen, but be very careful in telling me I’m wrong. Our points of view may differ, but you can only be right for yourself. You can’t make me right or wrong, and that is the point. If that is judgemental, it is. But is isn’t about the rightness or the wrongness, but the assumption that I should give you authority to tell me what is right for me. That isn’t going to happen, any more than you would allow me that authority over you.

I do not see the black and white position that someone who disagrees with me is defacto wrong. I do not take offense at a different POV, that would be stupid. I find many different points of view that give me new ideas, new ways of looking at an issue, or confirms my present understanding.

I have no problem in you telling me I’m going in the wrong direction and I need to wake up. BUT there are ways to say that and then there are ways… :wink: Ask me to consider? Delighted. Tell me to ‘be’ a certain way? Look out.

It's not a matter of being silly, it's just incorrect. I know you're big into self-reflection, but this seems like a clear case of a lack of it.  The very simple principle I think that applies here is that if you didn't think your views were superior, you wouldn't have them. If you honestly thought there was some other system or set of attitudes that was more correct, more moral, or more whatever than yours, you would adopt it. You'd have to, because you aren't a crazy person.  Look at the paragraph above what I'm responding to here. It's a story of someone exposed to religion at it's worst, shown it's flaws an inadequacies, and shifting from an open-contempt into a more stable and robust disregard. You aren't religious because you've been shown that religion is irrelevant, that it doesn't satisfy, etc. 
 Yes, but this is philosophy, not community re-zoning, or international peace talks. Those disagreements and the wrongness of others are the very things we're concerned with here, as a general matter of practice. When a person talks about judgementalism in the context of philosophy, we aren't talking about a desire to kill or subdue anybody- that is out of bounds.  When we talk about judgementalism in philosophy, we're just talking about believing the other person's position is wrong when it's in disagreement to our own, and because it's wrong, it is somehow deficient (since it's taken for granted by just abour everyone that being wrong is less than ideal). 
  In other words, the points you raise about co-existence, staying off your grass, and being friendly and so on are completely besides the point. Nobody thinks you'er a KKK member, and do not mean to imply so when they say you are judgemental. They mean to say that you are like Ned- you agree with what you agree with, and disagree with what you disagree with, and aren't afraid to speak your mind in either case.

Hi Ucc,

Back to silly again. I don’t see my views as superior, just different. Yes, they are superior for my life experience, but that is the end of it. I have no idea what ‘fits’ your life experience and I have no way of knowing what is "wrong’ with you (what’s wrong with you? :astonished: ), or for that matter, what is ‘right’ for you. Do I ‘judge’ from my POV? of course. But it a judgement of myself, not you. That we may disagree on one thing or everything doesn’t mean that my views are superior - for you. Nor are yours superior for me. Does that make sense?

Oh, and the jury is out on whether I’m a crazy person… I’m hoping for a deadlock and a new trial… :wink:

Well, perhaps I’m just not philosophical enough. I’ve never met a philosophy I didn’t like - at least some part of it. That is true whether in a book, or from an ILPer. There are POV’s that seem more beneficial than others but that is only from one perspective point - mine. I try to remember that. For me, it is how it plays out in our actions that I find is important, and so I do emphasize the how shall we live? issues way more than the why are we here questions. This is perhaps why I get impatient with the who and what is God stuff. We all explore and come to grips with our spirituality in different ways. As far as I’m concerned, there is no superior/inferior issue involved. It is how we act out the myriad understandings that interests me.

Ucc, In my eyes, you will never be wrong, nor will anything you believe ever be ‘inferior’ to my beliefs. They may be different, but if we can get past the rightness/wrongness illusions, there is ground for wonderful discourse.