Benefits of Studying Philosophy

There are many times when I feel that philosophy is just raising a cloud of problems for me and not solving anything. Just giving me more questions.

So lets make a long list of the benefits of philosophy. Something we can look at whenever we might feel the need to give it up.

1. I don’t contain silly false beliefs about the world such as fate/God/alien landings/ghosts

2)Increased analytical skills

3)better understanding of logic and what makes an argument good or bad.

add on…

1. You get to meet brainy chicks.

2. You get to see how some of the most influential ideas in human history developed.

3. Science becomes less of a ‘religion’.

1. It gives a mind something to ‘chew’ on that will never run out of challenges, and will always feel worthy of the attention it’s given.

it’s the never ending puzzle, think about it this way :

philoisophy is really a MUD, with very complicated rules. it contains simple puzzles, it contains difficult puzzles, it will never run out of puzzles, and while you can team with others to finish quests, there are no real spoilers. it costs nothing to play and the better you get at it, the better you get at many other things. in short, it is the mud of life.

hence my new siggi :smiley:

Mental Fortitude

But some of us live in adobe houses! :wink: (pun on “mud”)

Hence my old sig…

i’m going to assume you mean philsophy as a discipline of study. That being said, it has many benefits. If you feel like it doesn’t do anything for you try to conversate the bigger questions of life with someone who hasn’t had much more than dogma taught to them.

1. It teaches you how to see multiple points of view on things and to know by experience that different people do, in fact, see things differently…this is a very hard thing for many to discuss, accept or even comprehend outside of
    philosophy.

2. Philosophy is mental Kung-Fu, it teaches you intellectual discipline.

there is no real “false” anwer…

you are right, even if you are wrong…

Caus its a really interesting subject

Caus science will never provide all the answers

Considering the words good and bad are up for debate in philosophy, perhaps it would be more useful to say: …what makes an argument useful or useless.

Afterall, a useful argument is one that could hold up water and challenge in a debate, thus being defined with the word good. A useless argument, being the opposite, would offer nothing to inquiring minds.

SageSound.

You are incorrect. A good (logically valid) argument is not always useful. For example you could give a sound argument to someone with a mental disorder or even suffering through depression and it is not going to help. But maybe by telling them something logically invalid you WOULD be able to help him. This is why Mead said that knowledge is the succesful solving a problem and not truth.

The most important benefit of studying philosophy is that it cultivates arrogance and elitism.

One quickly learns that there are only two types of people in the world…those who do philosophy and those whose purpose in life it is to serve those of us who do. :wink:

Even in jest I find that detestable. Because you’re able to post a joke like that, it shows that you’ve at least considered it. :cry:

Its universal, your concerning yourself with the human condition, and your fellow man.

in fact, there are only 10 types of people in the world. those who understand binary and those who dont.

I think Plato was the first to have considered it.

But what about the benefits of studying philosophy in terms of religion? Would you still say that it simply “teaches you how to see multiple points of view on things and to know by experience that different people do, in fact, see things differently.” Does it just get the view of others out there, and allow people to have “deep thought.”

1. science becomes MORE of a religion
  2. brainy chicks is not a plus …you can’t a brain (i said it)
  3. (2) is bullshit

these are some skils:

1. logical analysis
  2. reasoning and argumentation skills
  3. critical thinking
  4. reading comprehension
  5. intellectual snobbery

Yeah, you can.

Max Majestic

Sadly, all too often, I see these in spite of how we ideally conceive learning philosophy. It doesn’t always equate with wisdom or “intelligent” thinking. It seems that there is more to learning/knowing philosophy for someone to be wise, smart, and careful of how to say things. There are still dogmatic philosophers. Philosophers who commit fallacies in their argument. And even, philosophers who mistake things for what they really are. So, I think in the end, there is something inherent within the learner of philosophy that makes a difference between a wise philosopher and a garden variety philosopher.

Another thing I notice, who the hell equates arrogance and elitism with “better”—as in a better philospher, thinker? or as in smarter philosopher or thinker? As if, it were a mark of a “good” philosopher? Arrogance, to me, is a way of some people to hide their “weakness”, their incompetence in something.

NERD! :smiley: